Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    True, but when Human 1 knows they can do 1 simple act to help prevent the virus right now and does not, well that says a lot.

There is a difference between ignorance and just being an ass clown. We now know what to do and simply won't do it. That's the difference.

2. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Indiana has a tattle tail hot line now

[​IMG]

3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Rogers Arkansas, mandatory face mask regulations in place. I feel safer here than OKC.

I fail to understand the folks that refuse to wear a mask, what is so difficult about it.

cantexian likes this.
  4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here and how those who are so passionate about life simply not care. I don’t get it.

Trump and the task force has done a pretty lousy job with this pandemic. They have done a good job with vaccine development, suck it up for 5 more months save some lives and let’s move on.

The greatest generation would have done what it took to get through this. Many sarfice their lives and lively hoods. Our big challenge is to wear a mask in public, that’s it and we are failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    IMO you're vastly oversimplifying things. Ther is no single act that can be done to prevent the spread of the virus, short of everyone staying home and doing nothing. And while the act itself seems simple, we all know it's far more complex than that.

Now, this I can, at least partially, get behind. Although I would have to say the current spike in cases is from people willingly partaking in activities that they know can result in them getting sick.

The issue becomes when those people return to home or work and start infecting others who are trying to be more cautious.

Most of IL is open at this point, yet I have no real desire to return to life the way it was pre-COVID. I'm rather enjoying a little extra time and a bit of a slower-paced life.

cantexian and oldnotdead like this.
  6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol one thing is spreading this virus, ripping apart the country

Social Media

First thing hubby said when computers went "on line" is they will be the down fall of this country and the ruination of the world. That is the stair case we climb.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Agree 1,000%. Which is why I logged out of all my social media accounts 2 months ago and haven't looked back. Social Media will be the ruin of society as we know it.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Far as the mask thing, were I live there is nobody wearing a mask. I go to work in an outer skirt suburb and you see masks in public. I decided that I will bring my lunch and not go out in public during my time at work. Problem solved.

Shocker99 likes this.
  9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last weekend my wife's niece was up with her kid that is 7 months old. The parents are so proud because the kid hits buttons on pictures on an i pad. The kid is at the lake and he is sitting in the house staring at an iPad.

10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's just science at this point and it's simple, you are correct it cannot prevent spread 100%, but if it cuts it down 60% why not? Mask our the best weapon today we have besides locking ourselves in and destroying the economy. What we know today versus March is vastly different.

Justin if you could do one simple act that increased your chances to bag a booner by 40% would you do it? Or do you wait for a 100% sure-fire way? It's just about reducing what we can until the Vaccine comes. The argument of "Well it's not 100%, I am not doing it" just puzzles me.

I like many here want to get back to somewhat of a normal life, I want my son to head back to school this fall, my daughter to MSU. If one cares about others and has a bit of compassion I simply can't understand any argument for not wearing one in public(indoors) when folks are out.

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Corona might not be the virus we need to fight. Js

Sota likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn that is an atomic truth bomb.

13. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We agree, just not on what to fight I bet.

14. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    all you back seat drivers bashing trump and team about corona virus---how many people have experience with covid virus before it hit America ? More than likely was affecting America long before anybody new about it ! Now back seat drivers say Trump and team did terrible job ! As usual he is fighting with hands tied behind his back, If Uncle Joe was in office what do you think would have happened ? Remember Joe and his family love China, and he was against closing borders to Chinese at first !!!

oldnotdead, GregH, Fix and 1 other person like this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, Germie. I never said I was against wearing masks. In fact, I'm all for it. I just don't think the answer is only that simple.

I personally know two people who have tested positive recently and are sticklers about not going out without a mask on, only do curbside pickup and have put themselves in almost no medium to high-risk situations. Yet, here they are.

I will agree with you in that I am frustrated about the idea of wearing a mask has become so highly politicized. Yet another example of how social media is ruining our society. And ol' Trumpster certainly isn't helping that cause. It's too bad the good he's done is being outshined by his stubborn stupidity.

Also, I personally believe we're putting far too much stock in the idea of there being a viable vaccine in the next 6 months. I personally think that's a pipe dream. There has never been a vaccine for a virus of this type, and even if one is created, they expect it to be 50% effective at best. And if one is created, I highly doubt it will be readily available to low-risk, healthy people for some time.

My personal take is that we're at least 12-18 months from a vaccine or treatment. Just like our first lockdown was only for 2 weeks - then another 2 - then another 2....I believe we're being fed shortened timelines that people know aren't realistic to keep our hopes up. It's easier for people to believe they only have to hunker down for 6 months before those big pharma companies they all hate are going to save them, rather than dealing with the reality of a year or two until help arrives.

So rather than sheltering in place and waiting for this storm to pass (spoiler: it isn't going to pass) we should be working toward adjusting our lives and our society to living with the virus. Yes, that means wearing masks in public, practicing better social distancing, and being smarter about the choices we make.

However, it also means looking at the overall health of our population. The US is a nation of overweight, unhealthy people, which makes us much more susceptible to diseases like this. It amazes me that little talk is happening about how we can change as a nation to better fend off disease. Apparently we'd rather hide in our basements, continue eating like crap and wait for a drug that may never come to save us instead. Seems strange to me.

Okiebob, Hotrod9, Sota and 1 other person like this.
  16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Those at risk- stay home, or wear a mask and PPE.
    Those of us who are not- go about your business and practice social distancing and hand washing.
    People under 20 comprise less than .001% of C-19 fatalities

The virus will spread, and we will get herd immunity. The economy will survive. That's how we get through this; not waiting for some miracle vaccine that may never come and when/if it does may have more serious side effects than getting a bad cold or less which is exactly what this virus is to the vast majority of those it does infect.

This isn't some internet tough guy bravado; I am just facing reality. Who knows I may have some unknown condition and when I do get it I'll be one of those who don't make it. But I run that risk most every day anyway so what's one more thing?

That Indiana thing is ridiculous.

17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I could not agree more, thanks Justin

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Most of us here are rational people and understand this is a new problem that we've never dealt with his modern times. Some leeway is to be expected when making decisions in the early days. Much was unknown about the virus and many were overly optimistic about our ability to stop it. I believe in people's ability to be reasonable and understand that some mistakes were going to be made in one way or another. After all, nobody is perfect.

However, we're 5 months into this thing with no end in sight, and it's getting worse in a lot of places. Rather than making an effort to solidify our national response to this, Trumpy is busy coming up with tweets that pander to his base and piss off the left. While I agree that he's often treated very unfairly by the media and those who oppose him, he certainly doesn't make any effort whatsoever to make things better for himself or the people who are trying to support him.

I'm no Biden supporter, but the crap that comes out of Trump's mouth and fingers is quite often very bewildering.

19. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. The vaccine is not going to be the savior.

Okiebob likes this.
  20. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well today is the day, freedom from Covid isolation. While I have been looking forward to this for quite a few days, I have a sense of apprehension. So many things are swirling around in my head - do I still have traces of the virus that I can spread to other people? Am I going to make people uncomfortable just being around them? Am I suddenly going to get the symptoms that I fortunately have avoided up to now? Am I just being paranoid?

I do think I am going to make a conscious decision to avoid close contact with anyone this weekend. Just me, my dog and a six pack of corona :)