The Toughest Experiences and Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Jutte13, May 28, 2020.

1. Jutte13

Jutte13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like the lessons that stick with me the most are ones that came from mistakes I made, or times I endured that ended in physical discomfort.

To give an example, i was on a long uphill hike with a heavy pack, right about to start sweating, and it started to snow. My buddy says “take all your clothes off, put on your thinnest base layers and rain gear”. I never would have thought to do that, but it kept me warm (despite being soaked in sweat)through my body heat inside of the rain gear, and I had my normal (still dry)clothes in my pack.

Has anybody learned any valuable lessons that can be applied to a hunting situation from tough hikes, military experiences, or otherwise that arent commonly discussed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jutte13

Jutte13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey bud, great topic definitely some information out there that could benefit self taught hunters pr those looking to get into tougher hunts such as elk, red stag, or sheep.

High quality merino wool socks and thin, non waterproof boots are often a better choice for hunting in potentially wet conditions where you have to walk long distances or are worried about freezing temps. Goretex boots are great until the water gets inside, then they take forever to dry and become very heavy.

Two pairs of socks weighs less and dries faster than two pairs of boots, and dry wool socks in wet (thin) boots means 90% dry feet.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't agree with you more on the socks. Other life lessons
    Never get between two brothers fighting
    The quickest to provide a opinion is usually the last one you want to listen to.
    It's not important that others know you're right.
    Most things break when they are borrowed.
    Never trust a guy that bad mouths his wife.

4. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never borrow gear or tools from somebody who doesn’t take care of their stuff - it’ll probably break while you’re borrowing it and you will be on the hook for replacing it.

Jutte13 likes this.
  5. Jutte13

Jutte13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy of mine tipped over a motorcycle in a showroom. I dont touch or borrow anything I cant afford lol.

6. NorthmanJW

NorthmanJW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Always carry toilet paper. Lost alot of good socks to that mistake.