Retirement, how do you feel about it

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by pastorjim08, Jun 3, 2020.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now I know most of you young guys are going to say that you can't wait to retire, I said the same thing when I was young. But right now it's staring me in the face and I'm not sure I like what is looking back. My last day of work is tomorrow and I have alot of mixed emotions about it. On the one hand, it will be nice to come and go as I please but on the other hand, I think there are alot of things I will miss. In the first place, I'm not sure those who have not worked in healthcare or some other related thing will understand. I have been in thousands, no exaggeration, of life and death situations. There is a bond that forms with those people who are involved in those situations that is hard to explain. Secondly, with this pandemic I feel a little like I am abandoning my peeps at a bad time. However, I am in a high risk group age wise and my profession as a respiratory therapist is a very high risk position with the pandemic. My daughter's have all been nagging me to retire since this started. One of them won't even come to visit me right now because of my occupation. This thing that I do for a living is more than a job, it is part of who I am. People rely on me and I have alot of respect from other professionals, and that means alot to me. I'm really just sort of pouring my heart out to you guys but I really would like to know how some of you that have retired. or are close to retirement, feel about it.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Retirement, I'm all for it! Congrats.

But i'd challenge you to think differently...
    1) Reframe retirements more as a job change than abandoning peers, colleagues or a cause.
    2) identify what your new cause, job and team will be. I.e. If you're able, several nonprofits, missions or organizations would warmly welcome your help, insights or experience. If your new cause is to be the best spouse, grandparent, uncle you can be - do it!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    picman, Westfinger, elkguide and 6 others like this.
  3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You have served your community with honor, it's time to serve for yourself.

4. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    That sir, is a very insightful answer and I had never thought of it that way. Thank you for the fresh perspective.

5. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you very much!

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My grandfather once told me that retirement is going from the work you had to do to make a living to the work you would do for free. There will always be work that needs to be done, retirement just means you only have to do work that you love.

7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well put

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    last year I set up 7 year plan to retirement, I was shooting 50 but honestly I been thinking of pushing it back till 55. Since my younger sister died last summer my wife and took on funding my nieces college education, we have 5 years to fund that before she startsl Luckily we started early on our two children and they should be well funded. My children and my niece are my only trepidation for an early retirement.

pastorjim08 and elkguide like this.
  9. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Retirement is great. Three years in and I haven’t quit smiling yet. I still work every day on projects I use to have to forgo due to working. I get along much better with my coworker than several coworkers I used to deal with every day. Of course I’ve been getting along with her for 41 years now. I set my own hours and plan my own projects. I have time to volunteer when I find a good reason or need. I have time and opportunity to be a good Gandpa. My vacation days are no longer subject to approval. I haven’t had a migraine since the day I retired. I enjoy every day.

Pastor Jim, you should relish your new career. Your “Promotion” is well deserved. Sounds like it’s time to put your time and efforts in yourself and family now. That’s a very worthwhile and important endeavor now.
    LIFE IS GOOD!!! :nana:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    cantexian, pastorjim08, GregH and 3 others like this.
  10. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be awhile before gotta worry bout that, although it'll be here before realize. So can't say what you should do but will say congratulations. Can only relate with the feeling of leaving ppl but gotta remember you won't really be leaving if you've shown the next wave what to do and how to do it right. They'll remember the lessons and I'm sure it's a good path you've left to try to follow. (Got told something similar when left mil)

But enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pastorjim08 likes this.
  11. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ran into a good friend the other day and asked him how he liked retirement. He smiled and replied, " You know, I tried it and didn't like it. So now since people know that I fix things, I work 5, 6 and sometimes 7 hours a day. Never 8 or more. I have a man that owns an excavator and a bulldozer and he can't even start them but every summer he hires me for 2 or 3 weeks to move some dirt for him. So I will work 3 or 4 days a week if my wife and I don't have something that we have to do."

I think that if you approach retirement with several goals and direction in mind you'll be fine. Life is good, very good. So jump into your new occupation and be sure to do all of the things that your new boss wants you to do and have fun at your new frontier!

pastorjim08 likes this.
  12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jim, you are a loyal and caring man, that is why you are torn. And that is good thing. That being said, enjoy your retirement...you earned it.

MUDSHARK, cantexian and pastorjim08 like this.
  13. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    pastor jim, you worded your original post with so many reasons to not retire it sounded like you may not.

It is true that after doing things that you enjoy and get used to for many years, it is hard to let go. I had a lot of those same fears and emotions when I retired 4 years ago. I worked at the same place for 39 years as did my father. I often second guessed my decision to retire.

I can tell you now that it was one of the best decisions that I have made. Life is short and I wanted to live out my final years in a place I always dreamed of. A relatively remote location where I could hunt on my own land and if I wanted to visit with other people I would have to drive around to find them.

I know that this sounds strange but I feel that I work longer and harder than before I retired. The good part is that it's all for me and the wife and is very rewarding.

Good luck with your retirement. I know you will grow to relish it.

Greg

MUDSHARK, Heritage and pastorjim08 like this.
  14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    you're not wrong but for public servants; especially first responders and military; their profession is a huge, massive part of their identity.
    I am not belittling other professions but something you do for pay 9-5 is not who you are. First responders and trauma-related health care professionals are usually never completely switched off- the job literally becomes your identity.

Pastor J, I wish you the best. Find something that has meaning and is rewarding to you where you feel you are contributing to a greater cause.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I retired from fire after 20 years, I thought I was done a couple times before I finally found peace with the decision. Like Noodles said the job becomes part of your identity. I saw changes coming and decided to be done with fond memories rather than stick around and be bitter.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  16. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Bill gave you the best answer possible....

That said, Congrats on the milestone and enjoy your newfound time to do as you please. You and your wife are both delightful people and I have little doubt that this next chapter in your lives will be even more rewarding than the last!

pastorjim08 likes this.
  17. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Jim, I has to be a bitter sweet moment. I’m sure you will take to it and make it an enjoyable experience.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your retirement! Find something to give meaning to waking up and all is good.

pastorjim08 likes this.