Used bowtech boss?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Shiloh Sorensen, May 8, 2020.

1. Shiloh Sorensen

Shiloh Sorensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m considering getting a used Bowtech Boss, but I’ve read mixed reviews online. Some people swear by them send have said they’ve never had problems, others say the limbs and strings break, they have problems with the cams, and a couple other small things. I don’t know anything about Bowtech so my question is; are these just fanboys trashing each others brand? Or are there legit problems with Bowtech? Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    http://compoundbowchoice.com/brands/bowtech/boss/review/

I haven't shot a Boss but I do shoot a 2018 Bowtech Realm.

Bowtechs from the 2015-2018(?) era have a reputation for limb delamination. I've shot mine thousands of times with no issues so far.

But for me, using the pros/cons from the link above, 'con' comment "on the performance setting almost no back wall" would be an instant pass on buying. If I wanted a great bow minus a solid backwall I would still be shooting Mathews.

The Realm has -the- best backwall I have ever shot; and it's why I picked it over all the others. Even on the Performance setting.

3. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

4. Shiloh Sorensen

Shiloh Sorensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but if I’m fairly new to archery will I notice that the back wall is softer than most? Are there pros/cons of having a solid back wall vs a soft back wall? I appreciate the advice!

5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    it can be a matter of personal preference; but a "soft" back wall will feel like the bow always wants to jump forward at full draw. This can get you in trouble and as a newer archer can lead you to develop target panic and make you jumpy and more apt to "punch" the trigger as soon as you settle on the target. If you have a real solid back wall, it feels like you can sit there forever and take your time. It also more easily enables you to draw, then follow a moving target (like a deer) until it is clear for you to shoot. You start moving around in a tree stand at full draw and a bow with a soft wall will jump forward on you and very likely cost you a shot.

My Realm has such a solid back wall it almost feels like I have to push forward at the release. Night and day to a bow with a soft wall.

Shiloh Sorensen likes this.
  6. Shiloh Sorensen

Shiloh Sorensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, that was a really good, educative answer. Do you happen to know how the back wall of the Boss is when you leave it in the “Classic” setting? People have said that’s a much more solid back wall, but I’d prefer to find out from someone in real time as opposed to a review from a few years ago.

7. Shiloh Sorensen

Shiloh Sorensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    After much research and internal debate I decided to go with a new PSE Drive XL with the 3B cams. It turns out that the Boss has a DL that’s only goes to 31.5” and I need a 32” DL bow

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    sorry, I started to reply to your last question a couple days ago but must have forgot to hit "post"
    good luck with the new PSE. Hope you like her.

9. Shiloh Sorensen

Shiloh Sorensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No worries at all. I appreciate all the advice. Looking forward to getting my hands on that PSE and flinging some arrows!