What is good about the pandemic?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by oldnotdead, Mar 22, 2020.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I’m saving a ton of money... Haven’t had to make my 120 mile round trip commute to work in a few weeks (can’t go back for another month at least).

Can’t go to the bar. No pull tabs, drinks, or meat raffles.

Heard a rumor there are places in MN with gas pushing toward $1 a gallon...

Crazy times we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okiebob likes this.
  2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As I sit here slicing onions it occurred to me. Great thing is, I can eat onion soup and Garlic all I want, because hubby and I cancel each other out and no one else can smell us!

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  3. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My work breaks are stepping out to sling arrows and goof off with my silly dogs.

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ohhh man all I can smell is onions and that soup is awsome!!

5. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting outside having a beer without a care in the world. Enjoying the warm weather and not worrying about an early meeting or the politics of covid. Stay safe brothers and sisters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was just thinking about how awesome fishing season is going to be this summer with on-the-water fuel going for less than $2 per gallon. The gulf stream is about 50-80 miles offshore from me and at a half-mile per gallon that can add up really quick.

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone notice the skies? I live on a radar fly way for military and a commercial airport. It's blissfully quiet and the sky is pristine. No jet streams during the day and no night time flashing lights. Look look now for it's about to change and hopefully never happen in our life time again.

wl704 likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say it again, getting to spend 2 days a week with my Grandson, under normal circumstances this would not happen. I really think this will have a big impact as the lad ages he really likes his G-Paw.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Are you down near Morehead City?

10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I havent been able to be close go mine since this happened. Their Moms scared to death. Doesn't help I got everyone sick at Christmas...

11. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Further south - kind of between Topsail and Wrightsville. I do make a couple trips up to Cedar Island in the fall for redfish most years and that’s pretty close to morehead.

12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha.

We've done vacation trips down to the Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle area. My wife has been lobbying hard to retire down toward the coast.

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That would suck.

oldnotdead likes this.
  14. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Those are both great beaches - You can't really go wrong with any of NC's beaches for that matter. I personally like the outer banks most of all and was seriously considering a place there but in the end I decided against it since I was looking for a vacation property. For me that would've meant a minimum 4-1/2 hour drive just to get to nags head and as much as 6-1/2 to get to somewhere like Hatteras (or a ferry trip for okracoke) which almost makes going down there for even a whole weekend too much of a hassle to be practical. Figure 8 is only 2 to 2-1/2 hours door-to-door which is close enough that its practical to go down even I can only get away for a single night or even just a day trip. If I were going to retire there or live down there full time and didn't have to consider the travel factor then it would be a whole different story.

15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the pubic school system is going to be completely revealed as pandering to the lowest common denominator and not challenging enough for the brightest students. And it is NOT the school or the system's fault. Parents who are not teachers or have never home schooled, are going to realize that it is in fact their involvement in their child's education and not the teacher in the classroom that makes the biggest difference. The school system has enough time in the day for the extra curricular learning beyond reading, writing, and arithmetic; shop class, Home Ec, PE, Art. There is time for all of those in a normal school day but many schools have to cut those programs to favor more of the basics because of a lack of parental involvement and development of work ethic at home. Much of the time at school is wasted because of poor parenting at home.

My third grader is finishing his at home schooling in 60-90 minutes every day and playing the rest of the time. He has always been one of the brightest in his grade. Now, his hard work ethic is paying off; school done in two hours or less rather than spending 6 to 8 hours per day. My middle son takes a little longer, but he does not have the same work ethic. Smart kid, just not as driven to work hard as his brother. He is still normally done by noon most days.

My kids normally make $5/week in chore money. I have been paying out almost twice that every week since schools closed because they are getting schooling done in less time and having more time to help around the house. They learn the value of hard work and my wife and I have less to do around the house. It is a win for the whole family.

GregH, Okiebob, Fix and 2 others like this.
  16. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So much of life and challenges children face comes down to parenting. It's sad people don't know this.

arrowflinger1, Sota and cantexian like this.