How has the virus outbreak affected your job

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by pastorjim08, Apr 15, 2020.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm curious as to how everyone's work has been affected by everything going on. My own personal situation, including my immediate family is this.

Me: I am a respiratory therapist/chaplain in a small hospital. There has been an enormous amount of prep and training on equipment that is to be used in case there is a huge surge in critically ill patients. It is very tense because you have to treat everyone you come in contact with as if they are positive. So my work load, and stress level, has definitely increased.

My wife: Has her own photography business which is pretty much shut down right now. She also works for a physical therapy clinic and has had her hours slightly reduced because of decreased work load due to lack of referrals from the doctors.

Oldest daughter and husband: She manages a pet store and her hours are significantly reduced. Her husband is a nurse at the local VA and they are really working them hard.

Middle daughter and her husband: She has her own bakery and her business is off the charts busy. She can barely keep up. Her husband works at the same VA as my other son-in-law in support services and his hours are about the same.

Youngest daughter and her husband: She has her own internet advertising business and pretty much works from home, so her business is pretty much unaffected. Her husband is in medical sales and he is killing it right now. (I'm thinking of asking them to adopt me)

So how is everyone else doing in your work lives? I feel very sorry for those who have lost their jobs/businesses or had their hours drastically reduced. I pray this will end soon and things will get back to normal as quickly as possible. I really want to hear everyone's stories.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

trial153 likes this.
  2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I work for the Air Force... (Civilian Archivist/Historian) We have been "essential personnel only" for about three weeks. I was out anyway for shoulder reconstruction... Probably won't be shooting for a while.

My churches have not been meeting either so I have not been able to preach either... Very weird time... I wonder if something else is going on beyond what we think we know.

I've been gone a while, and wanting to reconnect with my friends at B.com.

Muzzy Man

3. truebloodmorelia

truebloodmorelia Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm in the RI National Guard. I'm a 12N (Equipment Operator) and also a Squad Leader of our CERFP search and extraction team. So this has made me an Essential Worker and has taken me away from my Seasonal job as a union equipment operator.

I've been testing people for the Covid for the last two weeks and before that I was working with RIEMA to help set up test sites, pod sites (medical distribution sites) and move/watch active and suspected Covid19 homeless peoples.

I would normally be pulverizering, milling and paving roads at this time.

As for my wife she also works at a physical therapy clinic as a PTA. Work load has cause the office to let go of many of the staff. She is still working but its week to week as numbers of patients has gone down big time.

The huge change and stress has been the kids and the school work. As I stated we are both working and then have to come home and make sure the days work has been completed.

I cant wait for this to be over.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am on my way to my PT. I am so glad they are considered essential. Shoulder surgery is no joke.

Thanks for your service too.

truebloodmorelia likes this.
  5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Working 3x's harder than normal because most everyone is "working from home" but I still have a production floor to run. Meanwhile I learned yesterday they are slashing my salary by 7% "until this blows over" / "likely thru Q4" even though we are busier than ever. We produce pharma supplies, PPE, autoclave bags, med and test kit packaging, etc.... Pleased to still be working but very unhappy with how my Co. is handling the entire affair.

6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My business, Bar and Grill, is at a stand still except for a once a week take out day. My normal "job" is maintenance and I am getting lots of things done....... distraction free. I was also making a lot of headway on my projects at home until the snow and cold came over the weekend. My wife is working so everything is not all that much different for us.

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    By "getting things done" you mean finding and posting funny memes on bh.com

Okiebob, ash d, TJF and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife is home because schools are all closed. I am still working because landfill equipment is still needed world wide, I have not had to get on an airplane in over a month and that seems really weird usually this time go year I get home Friday night and leave Sunday morning week after week. My kids are all still working and healthy. Wife and I were talking about how fortunate we are last night.

9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    'Tis better than sitting around watching Newhardt reruns and drinking a shot every time someone on the show says "Bob".

Okiebob and TJF like this.
  10. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The wife is a PT/rehab manager at a skilled nursing facility. Admits are down, but her hours are up. The whole facility is hurting for PPE, so she has my Scent Crusher tote at work to help sterilize her gear.

I chase invasive beetles for the department of agriculture. Our division is essential to the state's food supply, so we're full steam ahead.

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel fortunate as well. I'm glad my kids are in things that have so far been unaffected by most of this and they are able to take care of their families. I am very thankful that they're all healthy as well. My youngest had her 16 month old tested this weekend because he had a fever of 105. They had tested him for flu, strep, ear infection, and rsv, which all came back negative. The doctors were just sure he had the virus but that came back negative yesterday. Praise God for that but it was a rough couple of days for her.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ash d and Sota like this.
  12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Vermont has shut everything down. I'm a house painter and can't work alone outside according to the rules. Even got a "Cease and Desist" order from the state. I appealed to the state and asked if I could set each of my guys up on their own jobs/houses and was told that the fine was $500 for the first offense and $1000 for the second and potential jail time if I continued to ignore the rulings/fines. So quite frustrating having lots of work and not being able to work.

Here's how crazy it is here. All Vermont dentists have had their licenses essentially pulled. They are only allowed to work on someone if "there is a broken bone or extreme facial swelling." My buddy said that he has never written so many anti-biotic/pain prescriptions.
    Crazy!!!!!

13. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Neither my wife nor I have been affected during this thankfully.

I farm and do ag research so both are deemed essential. Research is through the U of M so it's hard saying what will change there down the road; hopefully nothing. They've made our day to day meetings and logging what we're doing all day much more difficult but I can easily put up with that since I'm still able to work. My wife is stilll on maternity leave for 3 weeks but she works for the Department of Human Services and works from home anyways so all that changes for her when she gets back is she won't have to travel once a week like she had been.

14. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good news!

15. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife work in surgery at the local hospital. They have canceled all elective surgeries and converted half the operating rooms to ICU units. Surgeries have dropped from an average of 30 a day to 6 or 7. Only emergency surgeries are happening. She is working 6 hour days and taking PTO time to fill out her 40 hours. I worry for her as she is in contact with so many people through the course of the day.

I work for an automotive supplier and was deemed essential when the shutdown happened at work back on 3/25. I have been working several hours each week taking care of the data backups on our systems and assisting the executive staff with maintaining network connections via VPN.

The past three weeks I was forced to use my PTO time to supplement my hours to get a full check. This past Monday I finally decided to file for unemployment. Boss said that we could work something out to get some of the PTO time back. We,ll see how that goes at a later date! I hate the thought of no time off if he doesn't come deer season.

My oldest daughter is on layoff as of two weeks ago. SIL is also out on STD due to his medical issues and supressed immune system. They just bought a new house in January and I worry about how they will make ends meeting if this thing stretch into mid summer.

My youngest daughter is sales manager for a local housing community. She is still working balls to the walls to keep up with folks taking advantage of low interest rates.

My 92 year old mother is in a nursing home and I have not been able to visit her for almost 3 months now. She is getting so depressed and lonely. My daily calls to her help but its not the same. Before this started I took her a home cooked meal once a week and had dinner with her. Praying that she makes it through this!

All in all we are making it.

ash d and GregH like this.
  16. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I work the home place, same ole same ole. But getting supplies has become harder.
    Hubby and son construction.school jobs so they have had to work. PIA with materials and the sub contractors so...same same ole.
    Daughter is a bank legal analyst. Working at home but wildly swamped right now. SIL engineer and working at home.
    BIL President of a major pharmaceutical company producing one of essential meds for this. SWAMPED

17. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not a lot has changed here. I normally commute 64 miles round trip 4 days and work from home on Fridays. Now I am just working from home all week and am grateful for my job. I am a contractor for the USDA in Cyber security. The rest of the family is doing the same except my oldest daughter (20 yo) who quit her job at a coffee shop that was still open during all this. She is still taking college classes, but I think that is remote now. She seems to be doing ok, but I barely hear from her anyway (that's another story). We already homeschooled, so that is no adjustment for the other kids or us. I worry about my folks who are 13 hours away and going stir crazy. My dad is 72 yo and is not the kind of man who sits still. I've been harping on him to STAY HOME, Dad. They are probably driving each other nuts, but my mom is immune compromised and just can't get this thing now. I hope you all are safe and well and stay that way.

18. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 'essential', so I go on as I always did .... just harder to find crap paper and some food items .... I still run, turkey hunt, fish as always, I avoid people most of the time as it is, so this is nothing new .. ;0)

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's affected our life quite a bit. We recently moved into my girlfriends parents house because we have been looking for houses. Looks like we will be staying here longer than expected.

Me: Pay cut by 10%. Have been working from home for almost 2 months now (I worked from home 50% of the time before all of this started). I've saved a TON of money while this has been going on... My commute is normally 120 miles round trip each day. I haven't had to fill up in 3 weeks. No change to my work or work schedule (I have been able to get more done at home than while in the office). My job is unique in that I can sometimes get 1 months worth of work done in 3 weeks... I have had days where I've spent maybe an hour working (I'm salaried), and have been able to help around the house, helped repaint the entire downstairs, helped re-do a bedroom, and help with the chicken barn. Other days I work for 12+ hours (mostly by choice just because I like to get stuff done sooner than later).

Girlfriend: Both of her jobs are deemed as Non-Essential and she has not been able to work. She works at a gym and is an office manager/teacher for a company that teaches CPR to large companies as well as teaching baby sitting classes, camping classes, etc to younger children. She was forced to file for unemployment and is now making more than I do per week and more than what she was making previously.

20. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hasn't changed for me, timber mill I work at is "essential", other than the market has dropped enough that they cut our hours back to 40 a week. We were working 4 10's and then a 5 on Friday, now I get 3 day weekends...not complaining. We are sanitizing the heck out of the breakrooms, bathrooms, and machine centers daily.
    Girlfriend works for an insurance provider so she is working from home now. Her Grand Cherokee eco diesel is getting about 6 weeks to the gallon right now.
    My 6 year old has had the most drastic change with schools shutting down. He was a kindergartner this year, so still young enough that he actually misses it. :lol: We use a small private daycare, friends of mine that I've known for years, we are still taking him up there 3 times a week. They are being very careful about any signs of sickness and sanitizing like crazy every day. He does some online schooling assignments on weekdays that only takes about an hour each day.
    We do the Walmart pick up grocery thing, were even before all this, but now we sanitize everything we bought before bringing it into the house.
    We are thankful we are both still working.