20 yr old bow help

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Agi Ambre, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Agi Ambre

Agi Ambre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question for some of the more creative mod/tuning people.
    As you can see by the caption I’ve got a pretty old bow. It’s a 20 year old Hoyt mystic rebel xt. First thing I did was completely take it down clean it up a bit and put it back together. (No better way to learn about your toy). I’ve got it pretty well tuned with a drop rest. Fully maxed out draw 29+inches which is right for me. It’s maxed at 40 lbs.
    Here’s my questions. How can I get the draw strength up on this bow? I know it can be tuned up to 45-55 lbs. Are there cams or limbs I can put on it? I’ve also had a hard time finding new strings at the right lengths. Any resources?
    So far I’ve spent about $40-$50 on this bow all together. Sights, rest, release, (that’s it). Bow was given to me.
    I appreciate your help.

ReptileRaff likes this.
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As for strings look around for a custom maker of them. My local shop makes them while I watch for 60 bucks. As for limbs to increase DW I'm afraid you will be able to find them only if they in fact exist. Good luck

Agi Ambre likes this.
  3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are the limb bolts tighten all the way down?

4. Agi Ambre

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, as far as I know. I’m cautious tightening them any further. I don’t want to strip the threads

5. Agi Ambre

Dislikes Received:
    All my local shops are currently closed. Right now I get out side to shoot what I have just to keep sane. If I can find a place online then I’ll have more to do to keep these idle hands busy

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With such a like weight try getting yourself tired before you shoot. Even use a dumbbell to max out your muscle first. It's better than nothing man.

7. SticknString14

SticknString14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For strings you should be able to find some online. America’s Best Bowstrings ABB is a brand often advertised on the bowhunting.com website, I also have had good results with 60X Custom Strings. Good luck & straight shooting

Agi Ambre likes this.
  8. Agi Ambre

Dislikes Received:
    It took almost 3 hours out at the range to get tired. Right now I'm shooting at a cardboard box stuffed with carpet and strips of cardboard It's becoming pulp. (all the ranges and shops in my area are closed until at least the end of April) I shoot around 50 arrows each time I practice. The main reason i want to increase draw weight is to increase distance. right now I'm shooting from about 60 feet away. Anything beyond that I have to aim significantly high (higher than my sight can adjust) to even get to the target. Accuracy? Forget it.
    IMG_0501.jpeg IMG_0502.jpeg

9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Few ideas for you. You can make a carpet Target that will last forever. It's essentially carpet sandwiched between wood with all thread to tighten the carpet as it gets loose from shooting. PM if you want more details

Agi Ambre likes this.
  10. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fix has a good idea. You can do the same with strips of cardboard. Our gun club has an indoor range with the same idea using strips of 1/4 inch packing foam.With everyone shut down, might be hard to get carpet scraps from retailers.

Agi Ambre and Fix like this.