Activated Carbon Scent Control

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by chiefsdude4, Oct 12, 2017.

1. chiefsdude4

chiefsdude4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve recently started hunting over the last couple of years and while rifle hunting I have tried several scent control products and haven’t been completely satisfied with any particular product. I realize the importance of scent control and have tried DDW, Scent A-way, and Scent Killer. I have even gone to the extent to make my own spray, wash my clothes in baking soda, among other things.

This year on my first bow hunt I was hunting private land and I was in my stand when a nice 10 came in through the thick timber. I watched him and as I sat there waiting for an opportunity to draw he turned his head away from me....I then stood up and drew....I couldn’t take the shot though because a small tree with some greenery on it was in the way. About 10 seconds later he turns and looks my direction, all I knew is that I needed him to move 6 to 12 inches to place the arrow in a kill area. As I was holding the bow back for 3-4 minutes I knew something was wrong when I could see him sniffing the air and staring my direction. At the end of that 3-4 minutes he turned and ran back through the thicket without taking a step forward and the rest is history. That day this last weekend has haunted me but also gave me an even greater respect of the Whitetail deer and it’s impeccable scent capabilities.

Since then I have done some research and I have found how great activated carbon can be to adsorb odor. I realize that there’s clothing brands infused with activated carbon, silver, and zeolite....but I don’t want to invest the money into those clothing brands yet. I have heard that some guys have taken activated carbon and done different things to infuse it into their hunting clothing. Now, one thing I haven’t seen much of is the success of using these precautions. Are there any hunters out there that have used activated carbon powder that can document the success of it? What are your experiences.....good or bad?

Thanks!

2. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did not use any of it previously, played the wind to the best of my ability, a good shower (scent free soap) the morning of the hunt, clothes in bag and dress outside, scent killer spray on all gear with Ever Calm Deer Herd scent on my rubber boots. I have had deer downwind of me with this setup. So why Scentlok? It is just one more tool in the arsenal and helps with those potential swirling winds on ridge benches and fingers, or bottomland that meets those falling thermals in the evening. All that is to say do not substitute playing the wind. Have a great hunt/s!

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me stressing about a stringent scent control regimen takes the fun out of hunting. I have settled on staying as clean as I can. Showering with scent free soap and using scent free deodorant etc. brushing teeth with baking soda and gargling with peroxide. And then Ozone for the clothing. I find it a happy medium. Do I still get busted? Yes but not too often. I’d say 50% of the time an older deer is dead down wind of me they may blow. 30% of the time they know something is definitely up. 20% of the time I get lucky. I just concentrate more on setting up where a deer is less likely to get downwind. It’s just another piece of the chess match. If are dead set on a strict scent free regimen watch Dr. Jim scent control on youtube. You will see OCD on a new level

4. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do use baking soda to brush my teeth. It is actually great for your teeth. I confirmed with my dentist. I use an apple instead of peroxide. Enzymes in the apple help with bad breath, good for you health and heart, plus tastes much better. Deer are apple eaters so they are not spooked by the scent. Always have one before going a field. Just my routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Shocker99 likes this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do not waste your money on carbon infused clothing, as long as you're are breathing you are emitting scent.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  6. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wear scent lok. I don’t buy it for the carbon, I buy it because it’s nice clothing that when bought at the right time from the right place, can be had for almost Walmart prices. It fits me well, is comfortable, and that’s all I need. A lot of the time I’m throwing an asat leafy suit on over whatever I’m wearing so it doesn’t really matter. I feel it’s nice camo for the money when shopped wisely regardless of whether it works or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckHunterUnlimited likes this.
  7. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just stay clean be careful where you store your hunting clothes.. study thermal effects. In the morning the thermals will pull your scent up into the air and in the evenings it will make your scent drop to the ground as the ground temp rises.. use the wind plus this to decide where you hunt. How high was your stand. We’re you skylined in the tree. You need to be sure you have cover behind you even in a tree stand. Maybe he heard you move when you stood up and drew.. if he was worried about your scent I doubt he would’ve came into range.. I’m guessing he heard something turned and looked didn’t see you still so he used his nose to check what was different than the last time he came through. I don’t care what your scent your scent regimen is. A deers nose is 9 times better than any dog on the planet. And if they can find drugs in a gas tank a deer will be able to find you when spooked no matter the scent regimen you follow. Shower with unscented products wash your clothes with unscented and uv brightener free products and play the thermals and wind to your advantage.. my two cents

8. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Trimming trees too much and making huge changes to a property can affect how spooked deer are as well.. imagine living in a neighborhood your entire life. You walk by your neighbors house every day for years then all of a sudden your neighbors house has no doors or windows but a brand new roof.. would you notice it or just walk by without looking