Rip my form apart please

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by esiegel91, Feb 19, 2020.

1. esiegel91

esiegel91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been noticing when i anchor? I look through my peep and i cannot see the whole sight bezel. So im guessing this is form related. Ive only been shooting about a year now and unfortunately i dont get to shoot as much as id like. I have a Hoyt helix compound bow, draw length at 27.5, draw weight set to 65, release is a spot hogg wiseguy. Heres my picture fully drawn anchor set[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The pic looks fine but a few things.
    1. Draw your bow with your eyes closed and anchor and hold.... Open your eye. Move the peep up or down to correspond.
    2. Ditch the wrist strap. I did last year and it's liberating and I won't go back.
    3. Look into your grip. It looks old school and by that I mean, yes you are not death gripping but if you put your hand at a more diagonal you will ensure you don't torque in the moments that count.
    Hope this helps.

Okiebob likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and if you are not using the tip of your nose as a anchor .... Start

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. esiegel91

esiegel91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok ill try that grip out see if it changes anything. And the tip of my nose is used as anchor. Thanks for all the advice ill try it out tonight

Fix likes this.
  6. fachries

fachries Newb

Dislikes Received:
  7. esiegel91

esiegel91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pic didnt come thru what was it

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a Bot. Nvmd it. If you see a +1 or nice and then a pic that doesn't come through it's a Bot

9. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm. Try your form shooting from a tree stand in a contorted position or around a bush, etc. Not an expert but form seems to go out the window. In 60+ years, never could master using my nose as an anchor point.

10. esiegel91

esiegel91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I plan to mostly hunt so im sure form isnt 100% in the field and my arrows seem to be decently grouped where im shooting, however i just want to be Consistent and comfortable when i go to shoot an animal, i want it to be a quick ethical harvest

axtell343 and Okiebob like this.
  11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What I found that helps if multiple distance and single arrow. Forcing lots of walking makes you think about each shot.

12. esiegel91

esiegel91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a great idea. This weekend i plan to go 3d shooting at the local range, so we'll see how i do there.

13. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seems to me you have a generic anchor point, use an exact location, such as corner of your mouth, nose, ear !!! Yes I also agree with where you are looking from peep to sight, seems like a lot of effort, relax, close your eyes, draw bow back, point bow naturally ahead, tghen open eyes see where your natural point is, start from here moving sites, You will get it to a position that comes up automatically very close

esiegel91 likes this.
  14. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Without being able to see your feet in your form pic, which helps determine if draw length is correct, I'd still say from the nock of your arrow being about directly under your eye and your upper torso position that your draw length looks pretty good to me in my un-expert opinion. The string is just touching the tip of your nose, your drawing arm is tilted slightly up, you appear to be fairly square and not leaning back, your holding arm looks straight but not locked, and your head doesn't look tilted down to find the peep or anything. I do agree with Fix that you should try to change your grip a bit, the pic he posted shows excellent position. Anchor the riser about half way between the fleshy part under your thumb and the "lifeline" line on your hand. Knuckles should show about a 45° angle like the pic Fix posted (it should just happen once you find the right anchor spot), and you want a "relaxed grip"...meaning you're not gripping the bow or holding your fingers out, just let them be relaxed like they are when hanging at your side. The way you're anchoring now could be inducing torque and causing your sight frame to not line up in your peep like you mentioned.
    I like the sight frame to match up with my peep, meaning that the round sight frame just fits inside the diameter of my peep. This results in your eye wanting to auto center the sight frame within the peep kind of like a peep sight on a rifle.
    Another thing that can be causing your sight frame to be to the left or right in your peep view is your drawing hand anchor point. Slightly adjust the anchor point of your drawing hand (assuming peep diameter is correct). Like said above, draw with your eyes closed, hit your anchor points, and then open your eyes. If the peep is high or low have it adjusted. If it is left or right, start playing with your anchor point a bit until you find a spot that is repeatable and lines everything up. Then of course practice, practice, practice so you can hit that anchor every time until you don't have to consciously think about it anymore.
    If shooting at a target that is above or below you, "they"...the form pros...say you should always draw as if the target is level and then bend at the waist to bring your sights on target. I always try to do this if I can...but like John T alluded to sometimes it is tough when hunting. So make sure to practice from kneeling, sitting, etc. etc. and don't just always practice standing up in a preferred position. You'll quickly find out what position you need to work on.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  15. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is it possible that it is something as simple you need a bigger peep? They come in different sizes to account for different size sights as well as different ATA length bows (the peep is further from your eye on a shorter bow due to the greater string angle). Is that the same sight you had on there when it was originally set up? If not does the old sight have a smaller bezel?

16. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed, this is how my current setup is. Targets at varying and odd yardages, one arrow each per target, walk, pull, and discuss.