Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Smashed it, Happy Birthday!

2. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Solid work! Nothing better than adding weight to the bar. I have been adding some lately and I love it. Nothing crazy and I'm a million miles from a PR but it feels good.
    Stay after it guys!

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I've found it crazy just getting form down how much it makes heavy weights feel like nothing. Last few weeks I've really noticed a difference. I don't really try hitting new pr's but it feels good when the heavier weights start feeling easy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Havent drank for 3 weeks and have been taking fish oil supplements like you guys recommended. Took a weeks worth of meds for a chronic sinus infection I've had since October. My energy levels are on the rise big time. Didnt realize how tired I was.

Westfinger likes this.
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hiked 3.7 miles in 60 minutes with a 35lb pack today. I should have done laundry yesterday so I had taller socks. I have a blister on my heel now.

Westfinger likes this.
  6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Well two months is up. I made the goals very difficult. I didnt meet a single one and had to let the incline press goal go. I could do 100s for a set of 10 but even with 90s I'm having trouble getting them up to fo the presses without pain in my elbows and forearms. Not risking injury. I gained like 5 lbs the last few weeks due to stress eating.

Started out at about 40 situps in row 45 bodyweight squats in a row, and 7 pullups. I had lost a lot of strength during hunting season. Well today I did 80 bodyweight squats in a row, 65 sit ups in a row, and 13 pullups. Not bad for 235 lbs and 45 yrs old. My weight continues to plague my results. Direct result of sugar intake. Ughhh.

Westfinger likes this.
  7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Throw in a set of bicep curls with light bands into your warm up. Do two sets of 15-20 reps against light resistance, focus on quality of movement and good muscle contraction in the biceps rather than hard work. It should clear up that elbow pain in 2-3 weeks and get you back on track to the goal.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks buddy. It's like a tight band over my left forearm and bicep.

Westfinger likes this.
  9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll claim a win today as I know @cantexian has been trying to reduce his pace running to reclaim his youth I'm no where near as young as he, and I've been having more knee / hip pain, so I made use of the elliptical (level 8).

Did a 10k (6.21 miles) on the elliptical sub 7min/mile...actually under 42 minutes.

10. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been kinda hit and miss last week or so making it to gym. Have been working on equipment for grandparents farm. Was able to make it to make it twice last week bit kinda kept everything light. Friday was gonna be day tested max after finishing that program but I was pretty spent from running around all week messing with parts and working on stuff. So kept it light. Gonna try ramp it up a little this week but we'll see.

Good luck everyone else.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Since you are going to call me out, I am going to confess that I did not do yesterday's scheduled 5 mile run. My lunch break was cut short by a plethora of meetings. Instead, I had to settle for 30 minutes on the elliptical on level 7. But I did manage knock out 5.75 miles in that 30 minutes for 5:15/mile pace. Youth for the win!

Seriously though, I am 36. Those of you are older than me are an inspiration, it is good to see that getting old, fat, and physically incompetent is not inevitable. Most of you guys are doing better and working harder than a lot of the med school students who work out in the fitness center I manage. Around here, I am the old guy, and I take great pleasure in training in front of those kids and showing them how hard they are not working.

12. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could get my elbow pain squared away. Between my distal bicep tendon and medial epicondylitis as well as past bouts with lateral epicondylitis its always something I'm forced to work around.

Stay after it guys!

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Follow the advice I gave @VS and add in some grip strength work with a hand-held squeeze gripper. Medial epicondylitis can often be improved solely by strengthening the bicep tendons through light weight, high repetition work. Lateral epicondylitis can improve from this as well. However, it is sometimes tied to weak grip strength. It seems gimmicky, but it works great for lateral epicondlytis.

[​IMG]

Westfinger likes this.
  14. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Cantexian, I will give it more effort. I have been trying to do more forearm and lighter bicep work but it has been hit or miss. I haven't done much direct arm work for the last couple years and I think I have lost some strength so when I do try to do some it is a painful struggle. I will drop down in weight and try to add more forearm work in. I do have a couple of those around the house here somewhere and will try to dig them out and do some work with them.

cantexian likes this.
  15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Had my yearly physical today. Less body fat and my waist was 2 inches smaller than last year. Same weight though. Dang it. My body is strengthened up and so is my core. I'm going to start doing more circuit type training like 10 minute Tabata sets to ramp up my metabolism. Less training time and more intensity.

Westfinger, cantexian and pastorjim08 like this.
  16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    After a warm up I did 3 high intensity circuit sets....grand total of 7 minutes total work. I'm dead. Heart rate sky high. Anaerobic conditioning sucks but I'm commited to ramping it up. Good for my health.

Westfinger likes this.
  17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    5 hrs after doing those circuits I get into a foot pursuit with 3 armed robbery suspects. I was trying to keep up with a young officer half my age and 100 lbs less than me. We ended up running them til they gave up...and we both nearly puked from exhaustion. I'm very sore..haha. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Westfinger likes this.
  18. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stay safe out there, brother.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like what you are doing is perfectly on point. The weight on the scale doesn't matter if your body composition is heading in the direction of being leaner and fitter.

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man. Did 8.5 minutes worth of circuit blasts today. Sick to my stomach. If I can get 15 total minutes of anaerobic activity with this intensity I think I'll be in much better shape and burn a lot more fat.

Westfinger likes this.