Vacation

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Fix, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok wondering if I can get feedback. My wife and I have never taken a vacation without our children. We travel allot usually 1-2 vacations a year. Without fail when we get back ppl ask is if we went or did we all go. I'm not trying to be the cool dad or BS anyone but without my girls it's not a vacation to me.
    Do you vacation with just your wife, or with whole family?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I never went on vacation without our children until our kids were in college. Now that both kids are doing their own adult thing, it would be impossible to schedule a whole family vacation again. That is why we want a lake place, the kids will come.

dnoodles and Fix like this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda funny fix was up to the daughter's over the weekend, it came up that we were headed back down to Florida. The daughter is like what do you go to Florida every month? Yep our kids are raised we can do what ever we want.

4. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My boys are both grown and on their own. My wife and I always try to go on at least one vacation by ourselves then take the boys and their girlfriends on one vacation a year. Usually for Christmas. We just took them all on a cruise and it was a blast

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My girls are 18 and 12 and I cherish every chance I get because I know there will not be many more. What surprises me is lots of ppl I know that have kids (younger than mine) that routinely go on vacation without them.

Sota likes this.
  6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are grandparents close? That makes a big difference. Most our friends take a vacation without their kids every year, dump off at the grandparents and go. I wish my wife and I could do that, even if it was just a weekend. Unfortunately, we live near her parents, whom are old, extremely fat, and incredibly lazy. A couple hours with our kids and my MIL will not the leave the house for three days because she is too wiped out.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get that, lets go pretend we don't have kids for a week.

8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We took both of our nieces on a Disney cruise to give our family a break from their kids, does that count? Truth be told, uncle Bob was more excited to take them than not. They had a blast and we enjoyed taking them.

9. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My kids are young (almost 2 and 5), but we've never even gone out to dinner without them...

Fix likes this.
  10. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys get vacations? Seriously it is extremely rare that we go on trips without at least one or two of the 5. My 2 step kids' dad is pretty awesome, highly involved and they spend quite a bit of time with him, but all our kids pretty much go everywhere with us.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Fix and Droptine85.mt like this.
  11. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We always go on vacations with family, my parents and/or hers, our siblings and their kids, as well as our kids. By vacation I mean we drive more than 8 hours or get on a plane.

12. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Being a divorced dad I have gone on plenty of vacations without my daughter. It is bittersweet for sure. I have more opportunities to travel but they are without her. We do make time for family vacation but there are many more trips I wish she could have been on but couldn't because she was in school.

13. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Our kids are grown and on their own. Most of them are married. Our vacations always included kids because we felt that's what vacations were for... the kids. We knew there would be plenty of time for us to vacation alone when the kids were grown.

Sota likes this.
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I call mine kids I used to have, yeah now that they are grown the vacations have become more frequent. Kinda nice when you are no longer hemorrhaging $.

GregH likes this.
  15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We do both. Our main vacations are with out two children, and my niece. However we fit a couple short trips in with just two two of us also.

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My oldest is 17 1/2. Since her birth we have never gone on a vacation without our kids. Even when I'm off at work for days on end and dont see them due to work, I feel guilty and miss them.