Woman hunters

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Feb 8, 2020.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Every so often you'll see media articles about the increase of woman hunters. Now my being in my 60's and a woman hunter from a family of woman hunters married to a family with a woman hunter and living in an area of woman hunters, not news. What I do find interesting and amusing is the male take on this. What are your experiences and thoughts? Don't be shy , because bow hunting woman are on the rise in hunters #'s . All those woman that use to take their courses and getting tags aren't just getting them as second buck tags for the hubby many are out there hitting the ground.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 daughters and a wife at home. My wife could not be pressured into hunting even at penalty of death. My daughters do go out once a year or so. They enjoy it and love shooting their bows but realistically it will end there. I don't care about who hunts. And that's from a Girl power guy

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a lady, an avid hunter, who helps me with my Hunter Education classes. She uses both firearm and bow. Likes hog hunting in Georgia and has a nice collection of deer. Another lady is also an avid bowhunter with a sackful of 3D championships. She has been to Africa in the past and, I believe, has taken the Big Five with a bow.

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter hunted a couple years with me. I watched her shoot her 1st and only deer from my stand 100 yards away from her. After that life sorta happened. When her 4 girls are older and don’t need constant supervision we’ll be back out there. Can’t wait. Wish more women had the desire and ambition. My wife never has.

oldnotdead likes this.
  5. fachries

fachries Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have at it could care less the gender. I do think trophy photos with make up on is pretty funny.

BritFgl, Oldcarp and oldnotdead like this.
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    My thing is considering my age I've always been around and known woman hunters, many well older than myself. Curiosity has me wondering if this is a regional thing?. The surprise I have had about this is ,something you guys can't experience. That would be sitting in a womans very busy health clinic in the city and casually mentioning hunting, to have more than one woman in a group of 30 saying they hunt! Then find many being waterfowl hunters. This has happened every year. Many close to my age or 30 to 50 years old.
    This isnt a "womans lib " thing though many have gotten into it due to being competative. Even I got into bow hunting due to a slow burn one " Great white hunter" lit in me. It just so happened I loved it from day one, then taught my daughter and son. Hubby has an issue with bow hunters And only gun hunts,but not often. "You all talk too much about hunting "... He was raised around gun hunters only. lol
    I think a lot of girls started out just like Brenda Valetine, though .not lucky enough to have a salesman just give her that first bow. Kudos to him!
    If I were to have one criticism it would be videos. I have a hard time watching female hunting videos. To many where I hear the camera man in back ground saying draw draw now, aim aim here or there ..ect,ect. I believe if a guy hunter with a cameraman doing that, they might find the cameraman at the base of the tree. The other thing, being told they'd not been able to score with out the guy getting them on the deer. Just a turn off for me personally. NOT saying all but too many.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Sota likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife can fish and shoot with the best of them she has zero interest in killing a deer. My daughter bow hunted 1 year. Will never forget bow shopping at Cabelas with my daughter. She was a Sr in High School and was all made up. I said you go in and tell them what you are looking for I will linger in the back ground. She had the boys scrambling to help her set her bow up for free and had her new bow all set up in record time.

9. Donna Smith

Donna Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    58, with a bum right shoulder, been shooting bow for 3 years, started with a Hoyt Ignite, won an Obsession Turmoil RZ, love that bow, but it's just too big and I struggle to pull it past the let off (got the pounds down to 37.7). Waiting for a Hoyt Powermax to come into local shop to shoot it. I fish, shoot and LOVE to shoot my bow. This season I will get a deer with a bow.
    I enjoy the practicing and learning, each year I have gotten better. I work with 10 & 15 lb weights and a band to keep the shoulder in shape. I wish I had started archery a long time ago.

oldnotdead and GregH like this.
  10. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife has hunted. She has taken deer and turkey with a gun and the bow and arrow. She hasn't hunted for some years now due to life in general but has said that she wants to get back into it. I hope she does. We had a lot of fun when we were both hunting. I don't push her it is her choice.

BTW she is very proficient with gun or bow and has won an archery indoor state championship and many 3-d titles.

11. Donna Smith

Donna Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't the courage to enter a competition, the ASA has a competition & Superman Classic archery very near me each year. Once I get a bow I feel I can shoot really comfortable I might, I am good enough, I just can't shoot the Obsession much more than 30 times in a row. I've Robin Hooded, twice, from 20 yards, and can group arrows in a 6" circle, just not for long. Hopefully the new Powermax will allow me the speed and pounds I need.

oldnotdead likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Check out suspension gym. I have an inexpensive one and it works great. Lots of work out videos out there to show you what it's about.

13. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The more the better. When the not so understanding public sees a woman with a bow or gun they are much less likely to refer to hunters as barbaric and it deflates the BS claim that there is a "War on Women".

oldnotdead likes this.
  14. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I should wear makeup the next time I buy a bow? Smart move for you and good for her. Many times clerks talk down to ladies and/or don't take them seriously. Does she still hunt or at least shoot?

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Man ****'s and Gander Mnt was the worst in our area...small shops great!

16. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Don't shop ****'s and GM went under about three years ago.

17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yep with no great loss here though there is still gander mnt. out there and they were sending me e-mails. Though wanted a club type fee to order...fat chance!

18. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and daughter both hunt. My wife can't take the cold anymore so she is a fair weather hunting person.

Both have taken deer over the years.

Some years they are more active getting out than others. I always ask them to go, and if I get hesitation I just let it ride...

I will say it is nice to have the wife along on early bow hunts.... She is more than capable at all aspects of deer hunting.

DSC00180.JPG

Attached Files:

opossumhunterNC and oldnotdead like this.
  19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nope she has a 3-1/2 month old son, between the boy and the cows she is pretty busy.

20. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never met a female hunter in person. I know they exist but haven’t ever met one. My dream wife is a hunter who loves to hunt as much as me. We spend many mornings and evenings in the two man stand together as well as hunting in our own stands separately. We team up and help each other clean and process our kills and both of us tag out every year. During then off season we scout, tend food plots and hang stands and ground blinds together. If anybody happens to find this girl then please let me know because I would really appreciate the introduction.