Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    10 mile bike ride, 4 mile run, 200 sit-ups, and 100 push-ups today. Weird part about it was, I was really getting tired towards the end of all of it but half an hour later I wanted to do more. I'm not going to but that's how I felt this morning. I will be 65 in two weeks and I'm so thankful I am able to do what I do. I consider it a blessing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Week One is mostly in the books. I subbed the Wednesday sprints for 30 minutes on the elliptical since I was still slightly recovering from a cold. I also did a three mile run and finished an hour of cardio with a 35lb hike instead of the 5 mile run due to the cold. Hopefully week two next week will be the full program. The Friday lifting was done wearing a 20lb weight vest.

upload_2020-1-17_13-9-53.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Should have known this was coming. First time in a long time I got sick. Based on the way I was feeling all week I guess it was a clue. Head cold. Oh well. Could be worse.

5. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went to gym earlier this morning since weather was supposed to be crap. Did deadlift workout 315, 350, and 390. Was kinda funny there were alot of ppl there and one older couple was just goin around hitting all the machines. I usually spend about 45 mins or longer doin program with all the breaks and stuff and they were making it around gym whole time. I did a set and was walking over to get drink and the old guy looked up so took headphones off to say hi. So he goes, " got that bar warmed up so I can jump in too?" Was like sure come on over, he looked at me and said " you gonna carry me out after I fall over trying that?" Both kinda laughed.

But ended up finishing up, did everything without straps today except for the last set of 8. Felt pretty good and didn't really habe problem with grip but with that many people in there didn't wanna have problem on last set. Afterwards did db curls 3 sets at 45 then amrap each weight down to 20, tri pulldowns, seated cable rows, tri press, and db lat raises. Pretty decent workout bit with there being alot or ppl in there didn't do as much as really wanted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  6. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After 12 days straight of work, hit the gym, then ran two miles on the treadmill at home. Wife and I went out for a nice dinner. I had an eagle rare on the rocks when we came home. All things in moderation.

The gym is empty. Here I gooo let’s do this!

virginiashadow likes this.
  7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That’s great Jim! Guys like you are an inspiration for me. The older I get the harder it gets to stay after it. I understand why there are so few older guys at my gym. It doesn’t get any easier! I will be 50 this year so I’m still a kid but I hope to be smashing it when I’m 65!

pastorjim08 likes this.
  8. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man. That's really part of my purpose in posting my workouts. I want to show others that no matter your age, it's never too late! I wish I could express to anyone that is interested, how absolutely life changing this can be. The change I made five years ago has had a positive effect in every area of my life. I wish I had done it years ago. If I can do this, anyone can!

9. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Hit gym earlier today. Did squats 250, 280, 315. Added 5 pounds to top set just because ended up being 6 plates, so just easier to load. Was the heaviest I've squatted and actually felt pretty easy. Didn't get chance to do much else because got a phone call and had to bail.

One other thing that made it suck besides leaving early was having to wait around to use squat rack. Now I know it's not my personal gym and i don't mind waiting my turn but when I got there I did my usual warm up where kinda stretch and do some lighter stuff to loosen up. Came back up and there was kid by the rack. Figured no problem just wait. Well all this dude did was use the bar to do curls and then after each set would pull phone out and screw around on it for awhile before doin another intense set of 45 pound curls. Like said it's really not that big deal but come on. If thats all you're gonna do grab some dang db's or one of the bar laying on the ground and don't waste using the only power rack in the gym to not really do anything. But guess it's karma, week or so ago I made joke when someone else brought up this very thing on here or another thread and now it was my turn.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I may have gotten a little ambitious. Haha. Test ran the bodyweight squats and situps today. Did 53 squats and 56 situps in a row. I'm not deterred. Going to stick with my goals by 2/12 win or lose.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  11. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't had a chance to go to gym since Friday, I'm a idiot and fell off a 4ft ladder. Nothing really serious but been sore so didn't wanna push it. Plan on goin tomorrow tho.

Friday was deadlifts. Did 320, 360, and 405 for working sets. Actually first time since started this that it felt heavy on top set. First rep at 405 was kind of a grind but decond went up quick. Then the 320 for 8 pretty much did me in ha. Might have been doin a total of 36 reps including warmups but who knows. See how this week goes, add 10 pounds to each set. Will be last week of program. So will haveta find something else to do

12. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with sota on the CBD. It helps with me knees a lot!

2016 bear escape
    Black eagle Spartans
    NAP Double Cross
    Ohio

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
  14. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Two days till my 65th birthday. Ran 4 miles, biked 5 miles, 100 push-ups, and 200 sit-ups.

15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Your are killing it Jim! I didn't think you were in your 60s. From the pictures you post, you look to be in 10 years younger. Keep it up!

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  16. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Holy crap dude, idk if I could do that and I'm 30 years younger. Keep killing man.

Did hit gym today tho. Did some lightish squats since missed out on Monday, still did set of 315 for 2 reps but other than that kept it pretty light. After did incline db press, lat pulldowns, seated rows, db flys, light curls, and shoulder press machine. I'm feeling it tho in shoulder, chest, and upper back.

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  17. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man but I follow along with your workouts and there's no way I could even approach what you're doing. I have a horrible time with lifting but cardio I could do all day. Thanks for the inspiration!

jrk_indle84 likes this.
  18. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I'm kind of the opposite, meaning I'd rather lift then do cardio. I just finished the last day of that program for deadlifts but I really need to lay out a good cardio set and stick with it for while.

Now so don't clog up thread, like said above I just did last session for the program been doin last 11 or 12 weeks. I was really hesitant because quads and legs were still sore from Wednesday. Went in planning to keek it light but after warmed up with set of 4 135 and set of 4 at 225 I decided I'd do the light working sets and maybe skip the heavy. So did 4x4 330, 1x2 at 370. Actually felt good so went for the heavy set and did 1x2 at 415, then back down to 330 for set of 7. The last light set was a grind so stopped before did something wrong. Heavy set went up really good so was happy with that after last week being a grind. Next up is to retest max and see what can do. 415 is already a new max so be interesting to see what 1rm is. Afterwards did so bi and tri stuff and lat raises.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  19. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    You da man!!

20. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, it's been kinda crazy seeing progress every week.