Team 2 - The Double Deuces

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by alenhard15, Aug 26, 2019.

1. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Put 50 more on our score IMG_6683.JPG

Sent using Smoke Signals

2. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    CMTRAV likes this.
  3. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m almost clapped out...I’ve been out a few times but haven’t taken it very seriously. Little to no movement on cameras especially during daylight hours.
    I am going to Illinois this coming weekend for one last Hail Mary, hitting the thick stuff hoping they step out looking for some food. I have a doe and a buck tag I need to use, if it’s Saturday afternoon, the first brown thing I see is getting stuck.

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  4. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe!!!!
    Season here ends today. I'll be out last couple of hours w/ smokepole. Bucks still nocturnal. Not optimistic, but I will sit till dark and hope one slips up.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  5. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, that's a wrap for me. I only managed to kill 2 does with the bow. First year in quite some time I did not kill a buck or 2 with the bow. I shot 2 small bucks during gun season, and I am sure glad I did as they were the only bucks I saw.
    Worst season I can remember in a very long time. Very frustrating.
    Good luck to the rest of you still out.

7. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got out New Years day and saw 4 doe in MD but couldnt get a shot. Hoping to get out 2 more times but I leave for ATA on Monday ( ill be at the Fin-Finder booth stop by if any of you will be there) then hopefully i can get out sometime the week after and then the following saturday! good luck to those who are still out there!

8. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty much done for the season. Most of the public land closed on the 1st except for one WMA about an hour away. It runs until season closes on the 12th. I can hunt private land that I have permission on, but I prefer to hunt public. I will probably make at least one trip to the WMA before it closes for the season.

9. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We can count two does in the contest right? 50 pts each? If so, make sure you add them all to our team total.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I thought it was only 1 doe. I only entered one of mine.

bowhuntingbebout likes this.
  11. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah just one doe.

12. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Fellas, I gave it hell this past weekend in Illinois but nothing happened. Saw a bunch of doe and some small bucks. Being a mile into the woods really cuts down what I want to drag out. It was a mess though, the first day we got detoured by the duck hunters, had to keep away from the blinds and most if not all of the access was through the blinds. I tried a completely new piece of public land and it looked promising, yet, I could not get within range of a few doe. It did not help that it was raining quite a bit, it was a cold, wet day of hunting.
    Saturday I got up at 3am and beat the duck hunters to draw and to their blinds, I could not find my tree I picked from previous hunts so I napped on the ground until day break...well, the duck hunters first shots of the day got me up. I did a quick scout into a new piece and found the money spot, I was still setting up as a big 3pt "spike" crossed under me, a doe 5 min later, then 4 more 3omin later. Although I was not able to take anything this year, I've learned more about scouting and pattering deer than in any previous year.

I have a lot to work on for next season, but for now, I need a break, I am worn out.

This has been the best deer team I've been on since joining the forum. I hope we can team up again next year, if, not, it has been a pleasure trying to take the crown.

13. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    just put in my claim to a new Mathews VXR 28 that should be arriving in my local shop sometime over the next couple of weeks. I knew I shouldn't have shot it! :) I shot the 28" and 31.5" and, even though I thought I'd want the 31.5", the 28" was so dead in hand and quiet I had to with that one. They had both in stock in the Ambush Green color, which i like alot, but I thought I would grow out of love w/ a plain green bow and opted to resever the Realtree Edge Camo version that they should have in soon as they were ordered about 7 weeks ago.
    I'll hang on to my Halon for a bit though..

14. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I held a few bows last week, fortunately they were bare bows and not in shooting shape, I could probably talk myself into replacing my 5 y/o bow quite easily.

15. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wound up going with the 31.5 VXR. After going back and forth with my dealer and my not so perfect shooting form, we both agreed that the 31.5 with the longer riser would be more forgiving for me.
    I hope to have in a couple of weeks.

16. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I've been thinking about a longer bow as well, I have found that my form suffers when I'm hunting out of a saddle. I love my Helim, but I want a taller bow, I'm 6'1 and could probably use it.

17. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Today is the last day of the season here in Missouri. I lucked out this year with my buck way back in October. Didn't get a doe this year with my bow but took down a couple during rifle season. It was a pleasure being on this team and enjoyed reading about everybody's hunting stories. Good luck to you all still getting out there. GO CHIEFS!!!!!

18. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    well, my shop only had camo 28" VXR's on order. No 31.5", so I had to "settle" for the green. It is very cool. I am getting it set up tomorrow. Swapping my stuff off of my old bow. May get a new black stabilizer. That's about it.

Attached Files:

19. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here she is set up... just trying to figure out what stabilizer to use. It balances so well without one, I am not going to go too crazy. The bow is so dead in hand and has 0 vibration, I really don't need one. I will just put something short to keep wrist sling on most likely. I was thinking just a 5" NAP Apache for even more dampening or something.

Attached Files: