Question for Justin

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Heritage, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, can you clear something up for me and my family? In the most recent BHOD video you shoot a doe from a bail blind. My family swears you and Dustin are wearing hot pink vests. I think it's just the lighting in there. I'll reserve and judgment in the event they are pink, just in case there was some noble cause here, like breast cancer awareness.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    They were definitely pink vests. In Wyoming, and a lot of other states, both blaze orange as well as pink are legal during firearms season. Dustin happened to have a couple blaze pink vests laying around so we put them on and went hunting. No noble cause to speak of. Just a couple dudes, spending some quality time together in a ground blind, wearing our pink vests.

:dan:

3. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And...rockin "sweet" moustaches.

I had to admit to my family I was wrong. :(

Frankiecruzer and Justin like this.
  4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here in TN, pink would be illegal, 500 square inches of hunter orange on the head and upper body.
    Interesting, hear that the roll bale blinds are quite effective. Somewhere, I saw a blind made to look like a Holstein cow. Just keep the bull tied up.

Skunkworkx likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Hay bale blinds are incredibly effective. This isn't the first time we've bumped deer off a field, set out a blind, and had deer in bow range not long after. It's pretty amazing. The window systems in them could be better and they're tough to film from, but they sure do work well.

In Wyoming you only need a single blaze orange or pink outer garment during firearms season. So either a hat or a vest will work. You don't need both.

6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure that Tennessee has a bigger concentration of hunters than Wyoming. I could see the reasoning there. I grew up in Ohio in the 50s and 60s. Hunters could get by with a red hat. Later, it was shown that red could be seen as brown in shadows. Hunter Orange is used as it does not occur naturally in the wild.

7. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Geejuzzz that episode was a **** show. The crossbow guy needs to go back to PlayStation, handle bars needs to practice more than once a year and they ALL need to shoot lower 1/3! I wish I had that many opportunities to see deer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

8. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^Thanks for making me spit my coffee out.^^^
    There you go Justin, now you guys can fix everything. One should quit hunting, one can practice way more, and deer never react before the arrow arrives so all of you should always hit them in the lower 3rd! Geez man, get it together! :bash::evilgrin:

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:

I think Brad's more of an Xbox guy.

He shoots his bow at least 2 or 3 times a year. That should be plenty.

I can get behind that.

Go to Wyoming! I'm sure Handlebars will trade you a deer hunt for some archery lessons.

10. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have Mike teach him! That was an awesome hunt!

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It took me a solid 10 seconds to figure out who Mike is. You mean Fitz! He can teach us all some valuable lessons about life.

12. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly this is why your show is the one I watch the most. You have different hunters, good hunts, not so good hunts, it's real. Gotta razz Xbox and handlebars a little no offense, everyone has those days.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's all good! When you put content out for public consumption you have to be willing to take the good with the bad. It's just part of the deal.

Sj29@ddict likes this.
  14. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, I know you addressed the penetration with Tommy's buck already on the show. I only ask because I did not see for sure, what head was he using? Was it the Low KE?

15. Sj29@ddict

Sj29@ddict Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a complaint about Todd on season 10 in the episode that Tim Ainsworth shot Todd’s #1 buck How can a fully grown man act like a freaking stupid little kid like Todd did and still consider himself a man ? I’m talking about how Tim got kicked off the show
    I do not appreciate hunters that do things like that it’s not like it was Todd’s deer

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello ddict!! Welcome to the forum. I dont know any of the details of the incident to which you are referring, but I'm willing to bet you got some wrong information. Just relax. Life is too short to be so pissed off.

Enjoy the woods my friend.

17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tommy uses an NAP expandable but I cannot remember which one, it is seen in the video but I don't know them enough to recognize if a Spitfire, Spitfire Max or Killzone or whatever other they have. @Justin can correct me if wrong but I'm pretty sure of this.

He hit offside shoulder, I knew it instantly. It's true given his set up, one shouldn't expect blow through penetration on a shoulder. His set up is designed to shine more on soft tissue impacts than bone impact...we all swing one way or the other typically speaking. I'm a HUGE proponent of HEAVY hard hitting arrows with my total weight over 600grains and my heads are single bevel 200gr heads (slow but HARD HITTING)....BUT Tommy's set up will crush mine in blood performance if hits are back...mine will crush his if hits are forward or into hard bone of any kind.

In the end he was a tick high, but you punch the opposite shoulder in the lung region that is gonna equal a dead deer I'd argue within 150 yards 9 times out of 10...so really doesn't matter. Sure an exit hole through that shoulder will create more blood and could cause much quicker dropping...but still both a swiftly going to expire.

Heritage likes this.
  18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Spitfire XXX. I forget what he's shooting for arrows. Either Rampages or Carnivores I think. He's pulling 70-72 lbs. It's the same setup he's killed plenty of deer with and had excellent penetration. Hard to say what happened on that one.

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It was a joke. :lol:

Tim is not kicked off the team and Todd couldn't care less about someone shooting "his" deer. He's happy for Tim as are the rest of us.

[​IMG]

20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're being too loud