This is why I always lug along 5 pounds of camera equipment....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jackflap, Dec 6, 2019.

1. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    …..you never know what you're going to see..... DSC_6793-2.jpg DSC_6796.jpg DSC_6799.jpg DSC_6812.jpg DSC_6836.jpg DSC_6839.jpg DSC_6844.jpg

Kfili, MUDSHARK, early in and 14 others like this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice pics!.
    I thought about doing that years ago but my killer instinct made me just carry my bow.
    Truely do appreciate those that are just as happy filming though.

early in and Cannon06 like this.
  3. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, awesome shots!

4. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool pics. Beautiful cat.

5. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You always get the best pics Flap. There's not a prettier animal than a bobcat in my opinion. Very nice.

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome pics of that cat.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. I really enjoy your pics. What camera do you use?

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Nikon D5600 that my wife mainly uses. I’ve thought about taking it out but don’t want to mess it up. Not sure if I’d get as good of quality as you have here but man those really are cool shots

9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great pics as usual. I really like the bobcat pics. I get pics of them on my trail cams and see them while driving but have never seen one from my stand. I've seen 3 of them this year when driving to "work".

10. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for compliments. It is more good equipment with a basic understanding of photography rather than anything skillful in my abilities.

If you want to dabble in photography, learn the basics and concepts of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO settings. Like many things, it can be overwhelming at 1st, but pretty basic stuff once you learn the fundamentals and how one affects the other and how to use them for your intended subject or shooting environment. Those three things and how they interact is all you really have to learn.

I shoot a professional level Nikon camera, but it is secondary to the lens. Spend your money on a quality ‘low light” or “fast’ lens first. If you enjoy photography, it is an investment that will hold its value if you take care of it. Doesn’t matter whether you shoot Nikon or Canon. Both are good. Like Ford or Chevrolet. Canon most popular and Nikon second.

The lens shown is about a $2000 lens. Was $1500 20 years ago when I purchased. It will last another 20 years.... it is a zoom 70-200mm but that’s not the criteria that matters. It is the 2.8 aperture that makes it expensive, heavy (because it contains a lot of glass), but also allows you to shoot in low light situations required for wildlife or take action shots such as sports.

I can take this lens with a entry level camera body and take just as quality pictures before cropping. The advantage of the professional camera is size of the sensor along with pixels. But same pixels but smaller sensor, limits your cropping capabilities. The lens won’t wear out but the camera eventually will so again, spend your money on the lens.

I am probably getting too detailed for this thread, but feel free to PM anytime. If you still have school age children or grandchildren, this same set up works great for sports as well. My son is grown, but I still shoot High School sporting events a few times a year for friends and is always fun and appreciated by athletes and parents alike.

Attached Files:

Greg / MO and Shocker99 like this.
  11. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen a few from stand before but never this close with enough notice that allowed me to have camera in hand and ready. This is probably same cat I took a few pics of a month or so ago as it was in same area, but last time he was over 150 yards away.

What a beautiful and smart animal.

Shocker99 and GregH like this.
  12. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your pictures have always been great ! Thanks for sharing them. Congrats on your buck also !!

13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great pics! I use to take a video camera with me on every hunt for a few years. I never video myself, just the animals I would see. I like to share the videos with the family and friends. I enjoyed it, but I also missed alot of shots because it was the priority. Now with less time to hunt, I don't take the camera anymore, but hope to pick it back up some time in the future. It just shows your appreciation for the animals out there. Great job!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As usual, some amazingly good photos! Love it. Unless I just missed them, I have not seen you post pics for quite a while. More! More!

Thanks for sharing.

greatwhitehunter3 likes this.
  15. Donna Smith

Donna Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Beautiful cat.

16. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you run a Nikkor lens on your body? Fantastic pics, as always... great spots on that cat!

17. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, all my lens are Nikon although there are plenty of good compatible non Nikon lens on the market as well.

18. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great picks and thanks for sharing the camera details. Quick question - I am assuming this is a DSLR - have you thought of going to Mirrorless. I am thinking of going to Mirrorless for the electronic shutter - no noise? The DSLRs give great quality video and photos, but the shutter noise has always been a concern of mine. Any thoughts?

19. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    I have a mirrorless camera and it has its place such as a backpacking trip.

And you are correct, it is much quieter than a conventional camera, but i haven’t found one yet that will give me the “fast lens” of a 2.8 aperture needed for low light shooting with 200mm or more in distance.

Also, the mirror less cameras that I have used don’t have a fast enough “frames per second” nor a big enough sensor to allow better quality photos after cropping compared to my conventional camera, but as I said, they do have some pros and quietness is definitely one of them.

20. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome info and really do appreciate it! I have a dlsr now and trying to decide if mirrorless is the way to go. I thought they would be very similar to dslr and then get the advantage of a quieter shutter. I may just spend the money on a good quality lens for now and wait a bit on the mirrorless.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk