Archery Elk hunters Over 50

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Oldcarp, Mar 11, 2018.

1. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We still have some coyotes left on the farm

dnoodles likes this.
  2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I had time to hunt anything this spring- I don't even think I have time to turkey hunt.
    Most of my posts come from me having my pot of coffee in the AM, sitting in my car at work ,or as I have a nightcap before bed.

3. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    That’s why I retired. I highly recommend it, it’s great!

Oldcarp and dnoodles like this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    11 years, my friend- I'll join you.
    Best part- my wife is 10 years behind me. I can't wait to be a house husband.

Oldcarp likes this.
  5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I retired at 52 then three years later had to go back to work. Wife had some medical problems. Four more years and I will be retired for good. Cant wait.

dnoodles likes this.
  6. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    Heck, I’m going back Tuesday for a 75 day contract. Have to pay for next years elk tags somehow!
    It’ll be a short return, headed out to Wyoming for spring bear and get the lay of the land for elk season.

Oldcarp likes this.
  7. HardLuckLarry

HardLuckLarry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am 55 and our state has a limited tag elk season, but I gotta get my first deer and maybe some others before trying for those tag draws! Let better hunters than me get to hunt them.

Oldcarp likes this.
  8. trophyhill

trophyhill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Over 50 crowd here. I started bowhunting elk in '08 and what a ride it's been. I've been doing both truck camps and Backcountry camps solo and love it. I killed a monster this year and don't know I'll ever top that bull. Can't wait until September. In '09 at 45 years old, I ran into a couple guys in CO up above 11,000'. Both of them from Kansas. 1 guy was my age and the other guy was 76! I knew that day I want to hunt elk until I can't. I try to at least be fit enough come September. Shedding winter weight is getting tougher lol

Oldcarp likes this.
  9. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder about the age thing myself. 56 retiring in the next year or so and heading to southern Utah. Excited at the prospect of hunting elk, but have noted there doesn't seem to be many mature hunters. I'm starting to see that it's harder getting a deer out of the woods than it used to be. Looking forward to the challenge but also concerned about toll on the body. Never hunted elk so I think I'm going arrange a hunt with an outfitter to figure what I'm doing before stumbling all over a mountain side.

Oldcarp likes this.
  10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The two hardest parts: getting to the elk, getting them out.

The answer to the second is, the gutless method and often a backpack. This also made easier by the answer to the first, get in shape and go where others won't.

The blow down, altitude and long hike up mountain sides are all reasons I drop weight and try to be in the best shape I can be, when September rolls around. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Michael George, Oldcarp and blackbear like this.
  11. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reinforcement ;) I've already done some research on the gutless method. Even carrying out just the quarters and the other meat that's a lot more weight than the average whitetail I drag out (biggest deer I killed on my property in NY was 180 lbs dressed and that was only a quarter mile drag) can't image what carrying an elk out of the mountains is going to be like. But can't wait to find out!

Oldcarp likes this.
  12. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Elk hunting out west is out of the budget and elk hunting here in TN is a crap shoot for the tag drawing. However, I have a grandson who is eaten up with hunting and fishing. His school break starts next Tuesday. We plan on being in the woods for deer season. He's not into bowhunting but it's a matter of time. Maybe next year.
    I'm 72 and retired in 2009. Never looked back! My wife retired 3-1/2 years ago. As for getting in shape...I recall that round is a shape!
    Good and safe hunting to all!

Michael George, Oldcarp and wl704 like this.
  13. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    6FF89F33-73A8-4C87-ADAD-53F880CB1259.jpeg 5AB17BCA-0DA3-4101-8024-2B4564576739.jpeg

Oldcarp and dnoodles like this.
  14. Donnybowhunter

Donnybowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:

Oldcarp likes this.
  15. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

God bless you young man. I’m 61+ live in South Florida. I hunt in the 90+ degree heat mostly for wild boar and it’s fine with me !!! Lol

I struggled a bit in my early and mid 50’s with joint pain and strength. I’ve figured out what now works for me, it’s hard work in the gym working the shoulders and back. My knees I doubt will ever get better than 70%.

I’m drawing 70 pounds like a breeze and 80 is no big deal either. Cardio is another topic. I figure I need to swim in order to do it. Knees are not liking the running pounding anymore.

I have a good friend in Colorado who’s been after me for years to arrow an elk. I am not sure I can handle the altitude so well. Been up to the tree line outside Denver mountains and got lite headed goofy.

It’s not on my bucket list of things to do, but arrowing an elk would be a blast.

I really just wanted to encourage you to stay fit physically in the gym or @ home doing strength excercises. You can really make a difference in your joints with exercise and supplements like collagen protein. I’m proof of it.

As a wise elk hunter says,,,Keep Hammering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldcarp likes this.
  16. Snipe10

Snipe10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just joined but am 63 and hunt almost year round. Elk though is my favorite. In Colorado and harvest a bull 4 out of the past 5 years. Going to Idaho this year just to change it up a bit.

Oldcarp likes this.
  17. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Update. Am now 67 and in training for elk this year. Tag in pocket and weight in pack for daily walks, hill climb and shooting. Killed my bull solo last year and packed him out. It was only 1 1/2 miles but in the dark. Sun was coming up when I got to the rig with the last load. Plan to do it again this year.

Oldcarp likes this.
  18. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm now 58. I had a health issue this last may. I'm pushing myself a bit to get ready for elk this month.

JGD likes this.
  19. Stykbow14

Stykbow14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    55 years young here. Been elk hunting since age of 50. Killed a few but none with a bow. Always go with family. My father killed his first elk at age 76 a few years back. Will be solo this year. A little concerned about getting one out by my self. Have a packer lined up but have found they are not always reliable. Any suggestions how to make the chore manageable?

Retired in January. As such, I'll be out west the entire month of September :) I also have a mule deer tag that I will focus on filling first!

20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll also (likely) be solo for about half my hunt...but here's my plan... For solo, I will be mainly hunting north/northeast faces and draws... and/or not too deep (I have a predetermined mental limit of 3 or so miles and aim for a Mac of 4 rt, which means a mega mega suck and a very long day if I'm solo - followed by a solid day of recovery, once it's on ice)... Also...

Going in with ~4 contractor bags and an extract shank of paracord and an extra head lamp...extra batteries in pack and vehicle. Will also have my trekking pole with me along with kill kit (bags, knife/knives, blades, paracord, gloves, a few ribbons/reflective tape). I usually also roll with a water bladder, filter and about a days food/snacks.

If successful...

Depending on availability of phone service make a call/text to any friends/help relatively close and/or send location pin.

Start breakdown of animal - depending on weather/distance, likely gutless method (of by some freak chance it's very cold, I may just quarter and split open quarters down to the bone to minimize bone sour). Get meat into game bags asap and start hanging to cool as filled (and give my back a brief rest, while working on the next part/bag).

Assuming no signal or help is still a ways off. Snack/water (& likely advil) and prepare for the suck.

Again depending on temp, repositon/shuttle meat to a stream/cool valley (if needed). If warm, the meat is going in a contractor bag, tied and secured with the paracord and into a stream (or even a shaded seep, if available. Else start hauling to vehicle...into coolers. Repeat.

Well in advance, mostly year round, I'm trying to not get too out of shape. Doing 20-40 miles/wk walk, run, hiking, or other exercise. An annual good hiking trip with my boys has alao been a good gut check since we do like 25 mile days as we section hike the AT.
    Usually, a 30-80# pack trek, at least one weekly to train. Past few years I've helped pack out elk and moose...so knowing what you may truly face (awareness and mental preparation) is a big asset.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    JGD and Stykbow14 like this.