Team 12 - Drop Tine Dozen

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by vermontwhitetail, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very awesome score. Looking forward to seeing what’s on there. Sounds like a pretty perfect mix on it. Any sightings out there before? Like you or family anyone see deer when around? Should be a pretty solid spot for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  2. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Property owner says he sees deer all the time. It's only a half mile from my county park, so some of the same deer. Good numbers of deer here, so it will just be about figuring them out. I may actually buy a couple cell cameras so I can watch from 6 hrs away and know ahead of time what adjustments I need to make.

early in and Turro like this.
  3. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like an awesome spot already.
    I think that’s a solid idea on cell cams. Especially with just getting rolling now. All the advantages will help. Looking forward to seeing how it all goes

Went and checked my cams today. Still feeling little sick but coulda pushed tonight if anything exciting. Few doe/fawns, spikes, a fork and one barely a 6 I think from earlier pics. Then some random fox and rabbits. And of course nearly half the pics were wolves. Steady laps past each cam. Nothing worth pressing a sit for now. Might as well wait til feel fine again and hopefully everything settles from rifle season and they get back to early patterns and get a shot again. Hasn’t been a high year for size but with cams through the rut was hoping for a stray pic or two of something little exciting.

early in and vermontwhitetail like this.
  4. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Vermont how is that new property working out for you? Have you been able to sit it at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Sat it twice. I saw two unknown deer at first light at 10yds and then a spike later in the morning. Nothing on the afternoon sit. When I go back I'm going to set another stand about 150yds to the west of my current position. It's where the deer came from and/or went to.

Turro likes this.
  6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Rifle and Muzzle loader season is over for bucks at least finally. Starting Thurs-Sun we have a antlerless only gun season. So next Monday I will be back at it with the bow. I have to be honest I haven't gotten out as much as I would like to. But that will all change next Monday. #Keepinafterit

7. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    I'm out with Grace in the ground blind. I'll be out every evening through Sunday. Hopefully my 9pt comes through.

Turro likes this.
  8. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We just had some frigid weather come through last few days. Might get out tomorrow night. Haven’t checked cams but there’s tracks in the snow so good enough. Anything comes I’m sending an arrow. Been too long since getting out and too much interfering to hold back now

MIHOYT89 and vermontwhitetail like this.
  9. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone else still hunting? I'll be out this afternoon and the next two as well with the crossbow on a turnip radish plot. I love late season. The deer think with their stomachs.

Turro likes this.
  10. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Hunting partners nephew took this off our lease last night! Pretty happy for that young man. 14 yrs old and blind in one eye - quite an accomplishment. We had 2 yrs of history with this buck.

I might be out this evening for some doe management- we’ve got a pretty big snow storm coming in and I love hunting in the falling snow. It’s just peaceful. So maybe yes for me tonight!

vermontwhitetail and Turro like this.
  11. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve still got little time and tag. Not sure how much or what potential. Timing seems to fail. Still some tracks around so hopefully get out a few times before end of month when done. Got my beetles set up and official so been doing some skulls now mixed in with Christmas chaos. Works as a nice flexible Side job

12. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Out again tonight. Nothing. Decent tracks and activity but no signs of life. Hoping for a fergie even to put on some points. Still got til end of month but likely only a few possible sits to try

13. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Imma post this in here as a bit of a safe zone post... So take it easy on me if you will!

Over the years I’ve really had a separation on predators.

I’m okay with people harvesting Yotes. Hell I’m okay with anyone harvesting anything legally allowed by law.

But I hate seeing Fox or Bobcats killed on social media. I think both are just beautiful and so rare to see in the grand scheme of things. I just hate seeing them killed.

Anyone feel this way?!

14. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For our area they’re allowed in trapping, and I think can do some hunting but really not sure on it, haven’t really looked into, Ive had pics but only saw a few fox while out. I agree they’re pretty awesome. I think they’re not extremely excessive around, but enough for regulated seasons on them. I guess seeing people take them doesn’t bother me cause it’s legal for here. Regionally if it’s different I’d have different feelings on it. If it would be like just killing to kill I wouldn’t agree with it but for what I know of around me it’s just taken within legal rights and anyone I know that has has gotten mounts or basically cherished their kills. Even yotes, for people in my knowledge, the hides are used. But heard different things from different areas, some of that would give me different feelings to be around. If that rambling mess makes sense

15. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Ya it makes sense... I guess I don’t really care that people hunt or trap them. It’s totally legal.

I just hate seeing photos on them dead because they’re so cool to see on trail camera or while hunting. I’ve seen maybe 2 bobcats and 3 fox while hunting in my life - we have plenty of both animal but it’s just rare to see them.

I guess I don’t feel that way about yotes because A. They’re just not all that good looking B. We’ve got very high numbers of them. C. They push my deer. D. Fawn recruitment to a certain degree but I believe in the circle if life and I’m okay for them to win on occasion.

I guess Bobcats and Fox are likely impacting the turkey population of which I really don’t hunt and equally enjoy seeing! Sooo I’m just a bit conflicted is all.

16. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree it can feel different, just adjusted to normalize it for me. I think they’re awesome too, and would love to see them while out, but maybe if there was enough to routinely see it might have some negatives too.
    I just try and look at the pics as the same context as lots of the other species I see pics for. As long as legally taken, and preferably not disrespectful slobbish for the point of it, it’s another kill. Seeing lots of animals around the country/world hunted that we have scarce or none is mixed feelings, but their context is different too. Awesome cause they’d be a great hunt or to have around even just to see, but frustrating cause we have none or little around so either don’t see or enough or hunt.
    They’re talking about reintroducing elk to our area. I’m curious what will happen with that. I think our protected and overpopulated wolves are gonna have some very expensive addition to their diet til they’re gone, but would love to be wrong and see it work.

sycamoretwitch likes this.
  17. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    I'll shoot any coyote I see, they are fawn killers. Fox are more cleanup, though they do kill rabbits, I've never shot one mostly cause i wont eat them and dont want to waste an arrow on them. Bobcats are rare here in VT, only seen one from stand, I wouldnt shoot one. I like the wildlife as much as i enjoy eating it.

sycamoretwitch likes this.
  18. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Packing the truck and headed out to NJ in a few hours. Bringing the kids. Main goal is to get them each a deer, afternoon hunts probably . I may get out on my own Tuesday and Wednesday morning.Compound for me, crossbows for them. Still on the hunt for a Buck!

Turro likes this.
  19. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    I'll also be headed to Jersey the weekend of the 9th and 23rd, as long as the weather isn't really bad, any Buck with decent headgear will be on the menu. Theres still some big ones around from the pics I've seen and they are hungry

Turro likes this.
  20. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last day of season for me. Was hoping to have gotten out more in the past weeks. Weather messed up a few days, Christmas, hockey and the kids, pretty much something or few things every day. Wife is supposed to be home from work so I can sneak out for last hour and half of light and hope for the best. Been hearing lots of shedding around so hoping something still holding can come by, but throwing an arrow if I can. Hope everyone’s having a good holiday season and all is well