Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My son has this. He gets random nose bleeds, especially if the air is drier than normal for a few days. It was unnerving at first. We had it checked out by the pediatrician and an ENT just to be certain. It is worth getting checked out. Frequent nose bleeds without an explanation can be an early sign of brain cancer. I had a friend who passed away last year from brain cancer. The first sign that anything was wrong was frequent, unexplained nose bleeds. If it is a one-time thing that is probably not the explanation. It is probably nothing, but also not something to ignore.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went in last night and did the 3rd week of that deadlift program. It went really good, my top set was 370 and idk what I did differently in set up but it felt like nothing. Not that any of others felt bad but was kinda crazy how easy it felt. Afterwards did some upper body stuff and ended workout with some abs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

virginiashadow and Westfinger like this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Setting some two month goals.

By 02/12/20:
    Weight-223
    Pullups-18 in a row
    Body weight squats-90 in a row
    Sit-ups 80 in a row
    Dumbbell Incline presses: 100 lb dumbbells for a set of 10

Of course I will be doing a lot of other training but I wanted to set some performance based goals to stay motivated. I bought a portable food warmer for my car at night so I can warm up pre cooked meals and be healthier. My salt, sugar, and calorie intake are just a little too high. Those pre-cooked meals should help with those issues.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You got this all day!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  5. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys, lessons learned this week. Since deer season began I've been hit and miss in the gym. Not totally ignoring it but not as much as before the season began. Well this week I started hitting it regularly again. First day I jump back into it with the same routine, no problem. I'm thinking, "man this layoff didn't set me back at all." Second day, a little tougher doing the same things I've been doing for a long time. Third day, absolutely killer. I really didn't think I'd be able to finish my regular routine. Seriously, I had to rest longer between sets, sometimes take a break with the reps, and really struggled to finish. So I learned if you take time off, you really lose ground. Yes, I'm doing the same amount of weight, sets, and reps, but it has taken a lot more out of me as the week has went along. Now the cardio portion of my workout hasn't been as much of a struggle but I was even beginning to feel tired at the end of that today as well. Oh well, enough whinning for the day. Stay after it boys!

Blessings...........Pastorjim

6. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    A simple rule of thumb is that for however many weeks of being off program or of lightening the program, it will take that many workouts to get back into the groove with recovery; off six weeks, expect the first six workouts to require extra recovery time.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Westfinger likes this.
  7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Ran three miles in 22:54 today. Closing in on getting sub 7:00/min miles for three minutes. Had to take it easy on the weights this week. I overworked my lower back last week doing deadlifts than hiking for an hour with a 50 lb pack. Soreness lasted a couple of extra days, today I am finally feeling completely back to normal. Just in time to deadlift tomorrow.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice on the run. I love running but I have to manage the amount of pressure I put on my knees as I get older. Two acl reconstructions later I have to monitor my running volume, especially on concrete. I am starting to do more bodyweight cardio stuff to elevate my heartrate while not pounding my knees. I want to get back into hitting the heavy bag. Great workout plus no knee stress.

cantexian and Westfinger like this.
  9. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Getting ready to hit the gym, would be deadlift day but the program I'm following says to do upper back workout and not dl. So guess do other stuff. Its been goin good so might as well follow it. After working 15 hours yesterday and most of it spent sitting in truck waiting on concrete to dry will be nice to get in a workout. Been trying to adjust diet too and not eat so much junk. So far haven't did bad and as work slows down and get done for the year I'll be able to do alot better.

Good luck tho guys.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Deadlifts this morning five sets of 235lbs for six reps and then did 6 Push Ups with a 50 meter overhead barbell walk for five rounds. Ended with five rounds of six pull up and 25 slams with the battle ropes.

11. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up doin bunch mostly upper back and arms stuff. Brother in law came to gym with me and think might have over did it ha. Feeling good tho but definitely little sore. Overall was good workout. Since I've been back to hitting gym more frequently weight has gone up little, was around 235 and now today was almost 250. Woulda been bummed little bit but can notice muscle being pit on more than fat. Brother in law even commented on it so guess can't feel too bad.

Really not concered with what my weight is rigjt now tho, trying to put on more size than loose weight for now. Really don't have fat anywhere anyway except around the middle and everywhere else is getting more toned than flabby I guess ha. But I've seen what I look like slimmed down and with being tall I end up looking really lanky and that's not what really goin for. Biggest thing is definitely feel better goin to the gym than did when wasn't goin.

12. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Quick session after only going to the gym twice at the hotel while I was out of town.
    Hex bar dead’s, weighted pull ups, Db shrugs, Triceps push downs, hanging knee raises. Going to try and hang a stand before this afternoons sit. Stay after it!

pastorjim08 likes this.
  13. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you were in the World Trade Center or anywhere else for that matter. Being fit is no guarantee you will see the next sunrise. We had a young man killed by a drunk driver several years ago- head on collision. The driver was picked for DUI again this past summer!
    I lost a friend recently who was 46. Had an undetected rare heart infection.
    "Life is short. Eat dessert first."
    "I'm at the age I don't even buy green bananas."

14. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Every day is a gift that’s why it’s called the “present”. I can give far more examples of untimely death and disability than I care to. For some the idea of living a healthy life style is punishment. It makes me feel alive and full of energy. Enjoy your dessert. I’ll enjoy my full active lifestyle with no regrets.

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Being physically fit makes a persons life better. There is really no argument against that.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  16. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from gym. Went little earlier than usual but worked out cause wasnt really anyone there ha. Did squats and then some more leg stuff. Worked up to just about max, 90% 280, then did few sets of doubles and then back down and finished with set of 8. Have been changing up to low bar squats lately and have been liking that better. A lot easier on back of neck anyway ha. Was little weird at first but getting used to it now. When started kept thinking I'd drop bar but never did ha. Pretty good workout tho, taking tomorrow off then be back at it Wednesday.

17. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Solid workout!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger and jrk_indle84 like this.
  18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Ran three miles in 21:34 and then finished out the hour hiking with a 25lb pack at 3.5 mph on a 5% incline on the treadmill.

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Closing in on that 7min/mile. Good work!

On the pack workouts throw some Stairmaster or Jacob's ladder in from time to time just for extra measure (or pain/gain).

Westfinger and cantexian like this.
  20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have access to a Jacob's Ladder, but, since I am the manager of the facility, that may be in the future. I do a lot of step ups or climb actual stairs with a weighted pack as well. I do not care for the stair masters.

Westfinger and wl704 like this.