Team 5 - Cinco de Arrow

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by Brad Kaufmann, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Happy likes this.
  2. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On the board. 128 and some change
    DSC_6774.jpg

3. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well alllllll right!!!
    Nice buck!! Looks like a fighter. His one eye looks swollen shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you get a chance to put this buck on the scorecard? I may have missed it. What did he end up scoring?

7. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    I think the eye is shut because that is side that was down on the ground overnight. Story below.

8. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna try and score him tomorrow! Sorry been really busy last few weeks

Holt likes this.
  9. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    Really not too eventful other than the recovery and reiteration of some of the principles of bowhunting.

I was set up at the mouth of a shelter belt that serves as a main travel corridor.

1st time I or anyone hunted this spot although it is close to neighbors who hunt the area pretty hard.

I have a camera set up and seen this guy on camera a few times. No rhyme or consistency when he passes through, or at least in front of camera, but had several daylight shots, so I wanted t see him in person if given the chance. We still have another week or so of prime Rut activity, so actually hoping to catch something bigger coming through looking for doe.

I didn't see anything until about 15 minutes before dark when a younger buck came through and this guy was just a few minutes behind him. Moving through at a walk but pretty deliberate and didn't have a long time to decide if I wanted to shoot. He was at 28 yards and about to get out of range when I decided to take shot. I felt like I made a good shot, definitely saw the mule kick out of both hind legs and then he proceeded to run out in the open rather than go back into the trees and brush where he came from.

I am perched 15 feet up and had good view of him for a little over 100 yards before he hit the edge of new brush and cover. Never saw him go down and he ran like normal although he was running hard. I wasn't sure I had hit him other than the mule kick and the fact that he blew out of there. I waited 30 minutes, which by then it was dark and found arrow and was pleased to see it fully coated in bright pink and red and bubbly blood. I felt confident that I had made a good shot.

Blood trail was never plentiful but it was easy to pick up and though drops weren't large, they were regular for 1st 20-30 yards. Then they got smaller and more sparse. 2 1/2 hours later I had made it about 75 yards and could not find another drop. I marked the last blood sighting with a flashlight (which I do with each new sighting anyway), and started a little more aggressive semi circle blood search and body search. I had to of walked by him within 10 yards on both sides but due to tall grass and fact he fell in a low spot, never saw him.

Luckily, I knew not to keep pushing if I couldn't find more blood. Night trailing with blood is as easy as in daylight, IMO, but grid searching is another story. It was 37 degrees when I shot and was forecast to get down to 20 overnight, so my only hesitation was coyotes, but I felt like I did all I could do in the dark. I looked and looked for the next spec of blood, which had only been three over the last 50 yards, so after a total of 3 hours since starting, I went to the house. Got up this morning, went back to last marked blood, found one more spec 30 yards or so from last spot, then couldn't find the next. Started back to the semi circle sweep and another 30-40 yards past last spot, found him. He fell in a low spot in high grass with one of his antlers just sticking up above the grass.

I attached a picture of me standing 10 yards away and you can barely see the tip of his antlers. I attached a second picture with him circled. and a third picture of how I found him laying. Would have likely never found him at night and would have assumed I already looked that area if I hadn't started back at the last blood.

All in all, it was a near perfect double lung, and he fell shortly after he went out my sight at roughly 130-140 yards from hit which probably didn't take him much more than 10 seconds to cover.

Summation- 1. Blood trail is great for night with good lighting but with little to no blood, there is a time to come back in daylight if temperature allows. 2. It is not uncommon for a double lung pass through to not bleed that much in the 10-15 seconds it takes them to expire, but they can cover a lot of ground in that time. 3. Mule kick and frothy blood on arrow, I knew I had a dead deer, just glad I was able to find it. DSC_6746.jpg DSC_6746-2_LI.jpg DSC_6748.jpg

KDORSETT12 and Holt like this.
  10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All good man! I just didn't know if I missed it somewhere.

11. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On the board! 119 points!

Holt likes this.
  12. Brad Kaufmann

Brad Kaufmann Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Alright! The bucks are starting to fall for Cinco de Arrow!

13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any sightings or trail cam pics of the buck you hit?

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I saw that someone made a comment about your score. You only have to enter the gross score for the contest. So you can change it to 129 4/8.

tynimiller likes this.
  15. Brad Kaufmann

Brad Kaufmann Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing yet....Checked camera's out there for the first time in a couple weeks this past Saturday and nothing. Moved a few camera's, and I'll try to get back out there sometime next week maybe. Unfortunately we can't hunt or even go on the property during the first 2 Illinois gun season's, so I haven't even hunted there in at least 3 weeks. If he doesn't show up in the next couple weeks, I'm gonna start walking around it a bit more.

Holt likes this.
  16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you find him so at least you get some closure. Or better yet he survived and will be even bigger next year if you don't connect with him again.

Happy likes this.
  17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great work guys. This has been a tough one for me. I still have standing corn on my South border and it's got me cut off. My cameras are really slow and in the last 4 hunts, one being an all day sit, I've seen a total of 1 small spike buck. No does either. I've never experienced a season like this. There's still time and I'll keep after it.

Holt and Happy like this.
  18. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man I can see how that would get a little discouraging. Hopefully your perseverance will pay off!!!
    Go get em!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully with the late standing corn your place will be great in the late season.

Skywalker likes this.
  20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Contest is for gross scores so don't deduct! Great buck and congrats! Also thanks for being the first guy to accidently report a lower than actual score....most just add a bunch so it is higher :lmao:

KDORSETT12 likes this.