Fletching configuration.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by William cromer, Nov 27, 2019.

1. William cromer

William cromer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey just wondering if anyone on here has shot mechanical broadheads with a 4 vane configuration? With a Max hunter vane?

Attached Files:

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't shoot a squirrel with a mech head no matter what fletching I had..

3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I messed with 4 fletch, I don’t shoot mechs. The small vanes work good 4 fletch and field points but couldn’t steer my slicktricks. I tried many vanes and always came back to blazers with a helical . Steers all heads I ever shot, no need to switch for me. Just try a bunch out and shoot, see what works for what your trying to achieve.

JGD and William cromer like this.
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Four max hunters are enough fetching to steer most any head. That said they are very high profile and in a four fletch you adding a ton of surface. Not sure why youd want that if your just shooting a mechanical head.
    Personally if I was hung up on a four fletch I would shoot a lower profile vane.

JGD and cantexian like this.
  5. MattFromVT

MattFromVT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, that really answers his question. Your valuable input based on experience is appreciated.

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing the OP has four fletch arrows currently and is wanting to switch to a mechanical head?
    I'd think if your target tips are flying fine then mechanicals should be fine too. As I understand it, 4 fletch is for some extra steering help when BH's have a lot of planing surface. You're not going to have that with a mechanical.

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot a mechanical head. However, I have arrows fletched with the standard three blazer vanes and I have some four-fletched with Bohning Heat vanes. The Heat vane is lower profile than a Blazer but has the same surface area as it is slightly longer than a Blazer vane. I have found that under 40 yards it makes no difference. Past 40 yards, my groups are tighter with the four fletch. I shoot Slick Trick Magnums. With the four-fletch arrows, I can index the four blades to the four fletch, something I cannot do with a three vane configuration.

William cromer likes this.