Legend falls.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slugger, Nov 17, 2019.

1. fred_Bump

fred_Bump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No. Just my opinion, take it for what it’s worth. This tree don’t sway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do understand that. However, what exactly do think is unethical? the dogs going on other property or the use of dogs in general..Because without the use of dogs here in the eastern part of VA I don't think the deer kill would be high enough to control the population. It's different here then where you are. The habitat just doesn't allow for high kill rates without the dogs. You would have to physically lay eyes on it to understand the many many places a deer can live here.. But with all due respect, I respect your opinions and I do disagree with you, but again, I harbor no hard feelings. Good luck to you the rest of the season.

early in likes this.
  3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    well let's take the rabbit hunting.. they live in very thick areas and they are not very kill able without the dogs. agree? ok, well in the southeastern part of VA the deer live among the rabbits in that very thick cover and they are extremely hard to kill without the use of dogs.

4. fred_Bump

Dislikes Received:
    There’s a “big” difference between a rabbit and deer. Just as thick in KY as VA, or anywhere else with good whitetail habitat for that matter. Never heard of a deer running under a brush pile and going down a hole in my neck of the woods. Maybe in VA though.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  5. 206moose

206moose Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I don’t like hunting deer with dogs but if it’s done legally I don’t have an issue with it. Problem is there’s to much illegal activity associated with dog hunters. Abusing right to retrieve and not controlling where the dogs run. I know dogs can’t read but when they are turned out on 20 acres you know they aren’t staying on 20 acres.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never used a dog to hunt rabbits but I've killed plenty of rabbits in my lifetime. It's not a big deal to flush rabbits yourself....hunting them from a stand would be retarded though, lol.
    As far as your question to me about what is unethical, it's the dogs and property lines. I really don't care what someone does on their own property, they can spotlight deer on their own property and shoot them from a warm pickup cab for all I care...same goes for deer drives. I may not find those things tasteful but their property, their right and as far as I'm concerned wildlife on a property belongs to that landowner while it's there. We have d-bags here though that will trespass and walk through our property to flush deer and also will let their dogs run across country to flush deer . They'll get around ahead of them and shoot them crossing the road or the fence lines. Technically it's illegal but it's almost impossible to convict them. They just claim the dogs were running loose and you have to witness them shooting deer from the road and if they shoot it coming over the fence off your property on to the neighbor's then it's not really illegal if they have appropriate tags in hand.

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny.. No I have never seen a deer run in a hole. We agree to disagree. It's all in good debate. No way would I ever tell you that you are wrong for your opinions. I bowhunt, I hunt with dogs and a shotgun. I would rather bowhunt than anything else, but I love the southern tradition of dog hunting as well. If it is wrong, then I dont want to be right. When you grow up hearing the hounds and the heart rate rises, it's a great feeling of adrenaline. I can't imagine not getting that feeling. And as I have said, there is no hunting skill to it. Takes no knowledge of the animal. I concede it..but it sure is a fun to hunt with 20-30 guys and hear those hounds run, but some people just don't want that.. I don't want to kill a deer with a ML or rifle, but I do not think it's unethical. some hunt over bait/food plots.. I have no interest in it, but have at it..

8. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I understand.. my club and all surrounding clubs do not have a single issue. we all do the same thing and we get along well.

9. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I understand that too. and the gps tracking collar has done wonders for us to prevent this.

10. fred_Bump

Dislikes Received:
    Never said I didn’t like hunting with dogs. I said I don’t like deer hunting with dogs. I never said it was unethical either. I said it was unsportsmanlike, there’s a difference. I’ve rabbit and quail hunted with dogs for many a year, and have owned a few first rate hounds myself.

IMG_0748.jpg

Vabowman likes this.
  11. fred_Bump

Dislikes Received:
    I’d also like to add, that all my replies are highly subjective with the greatest intent of inciting a humorous response.

12. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    It's all good man.. I don't get offended easily and at the end of the day, it's a just deer hunting.. nothing more, nothing less..sometimes it all gets taken way to seriously.

13. 206moose

206moose Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up in the southwest region of va where using dogs for deer is illegal. However there was a group of fox hunters that were notorious for running deer. That’s why I try to separate legal from illegal. I don’t care for rifle hunting either but I’ll defend any legal means of hunting.

Vabowman likes this.