Broaheads

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by lone, Nov 20, 2019.

1. lone

lone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I realize this topic has probably been hit hard here over and over. I am new on here. Each person has their favorite. I have used slick mags for years. They are OK. But the exit wounds have been lacking. Now any broadhead shot thru both lungs is usually a done deal. The true test is for a less than perfect shot. Like mine this year. Square hit thru one lung. A bit far back on the opposite side. So a good deal of one lung usable. Hence a 200 yrd run. exit hole small and closed. Little blood. Found him after a hlf hour of tiny drops. So I am looking for larger cuts. I am looking at muzzy trocar,,ram cats,,maybe swat but I like the fixed blades best. Less to go wrong..Thanks for any experiences.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If a square hit on one lung but too far back for the other, that isn't the heads fault. That is the angle of the shot selection.

3. lone

lone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You are right but the blood trail should be good with a low exit wound. My wound was almost closed. Buck was dead alright. Probably dropped after 30 seconds. Maybe 60. But trail of only a few drops here and there was a half hour following.

John 6:47 likes this.
  4. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use all kinds...lol. My quiver has 5 arrows, 4 different broadhead. Wasp Havalon, Slick Trick SS, Swhacker, 2 Sevrs

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

5. syecklamia

syecklamia Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried any exapandables? I'm pretty new to crossbows, two seasons, and I haven't shot any fixed blade broadheads from it. I would think fixed blades would be much harder to tune from a crossbow.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

rknierim likes this.
  7. lone

lone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have done a lot of research into broadheads. Expandables work and they have gotten much better at expanding when they should. One problem with them though is deflection off of bone. Also there is something that has to work right after leaving your bow. With fixed baldes NO blade has to open. The head is ready to work on contact. flight and planning can be a problem. I have had good success with slick tricks. They fly good from my cross bow a ten point. I am just looking for a bigger hole. Muzzy trocars have fixed blades as well as expandables. Ramcats fly excellent they say and have fixed blades. I have read many good reports on them. I probably will try another head next season. Personal trials are all you can do I guess.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your trying to fix somthing that isnt broken.
    You made a less then good shot last year and still got good broadhead performance. Quartering too shot with gut exits arent something you would except to see a good blood trail regardless of the head. Now that said, your ST mag left you a good enough trail to follow, gave you two holes and a dead deer in 200 hundred yards.
    If it was me I would apologize the the ST mags and buy a couple more packages and go hunt.

Arkman and BB1 like this.
  9. lone

lone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did NOT hit any guts. and buck was Not quartering to,,Was past Nov also..And I wrote slick Trick not to complain about the Mags poor exit hole ,but about the flimsy tips and blades on their wicked Tricks...Never got a reply to two emails. Poor customer service..

John 6:47 likes this.
  10. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally am using the GrimReapers but it I was going to shoot a fixed blade my brother is using the Zeus out of his crossbow and his holes were impressive to say the least!!

11. lone

lone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Many Many Broadheads to choose from and all will kill a deer. Fun to try different ones but you have to be wealthy. If you check out Ranch Fairy on You Tube he gives a good review of the Magnus Blk Hornet. They look tough and can be resharpened many times, saving $$$$$ ! I am seriously considering them for next Nov.

12. Alex Stephens

Alex Stephens Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have had this same problem too I don’t know why tho

13. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year with a crossbow. I am considering the DK4 from NAP. All great information here, though.

14. Ty L

Ty L Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the NAP Hellrazors and they have treated me very well.

15. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    only crossbow deer ive ever shot i used nap spitfire maxx

slight 1/4 away shot and it worked, well.

16. OhioXbowhunter

OhioXbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  17. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have three people in my family using crossbows with Slick Trick fixed. They fly well and are definitely lethal with a well placed shot.. but the
    blood trails are never really outstanding.

Last year my wife lost one to an unfavorable low shot. I switched her out to a Sevr Robusto... just hoping for a little more forgiveness.

OhioHunter72 likes this.
  18. OhioXbowhunter

OhioXbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I’m switching I wanna try a 3 blade one so I’m trying the grim reaper 100 grain crossbow broadhead they work in crossbows shooting 400fps

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Give the annihilator a look
    In Venatione Veritas

20. joshuasaul

joshuasaul Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Broad heads are surely important for deer hunting, cuz we need trail of our Hunt.
    you need a comparison of all time best Arrows with Broad Heads for Deer hunting. click here for the detailed Comparison.