Team 5 - Cinco de Arrow

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by Brad Kaufmann, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You had an absolute great season! Tagged out on does, shot your biggest buck! Which was an stub of a buck. It's going to be hard for you to beat this season, but that's the fun hunting, you can keep trying year after year. Congrats again buddy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I just feel like this year all the practice and work I put in paid off. Going to be tough to beat this seasons buck especially since I’m really not a trophy hunter. I feel blessed that the deer I shot this year was as big as he was. Really first legal buck would have probably got it!! Just so happens he was the first one to give me a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Holt likes this.
  3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sometime it works out like that. I'm not a hardcore trophy hunter. If I didn't have multiple buck tags, things would be different for me. I'm glad you got the buck you did. It's a trophy that will alway remind you of the season you just had.

Happy likes this.
  4. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0884.JPG
    Not sure if you guys can view pictures or not but a few nicer pics of my season closer.

KDORSETT12, HuntMaine and Skywalker like this.
  5. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I wounded a doe this evening. I thought the shot felt great. It was only 10 yards. I must have hit a tree. I didn't notice all the small saplings around her when she came in. I hit her in the brisket and the blood stopped after 40 yards and could only following tracks after that. The arrow was all fat and white hair.

8. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Damn dude that’s rough!!!! Indian sticks got you twice this year. Some of those things are hard to see in daylight let alone low light now that there are no leaves on anything. Stay positive odds are the next shot will not hit any branches. Like we say playing golf trees are 90 percent air sometimes you just go for it.

Holt likes this.
  9. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys it’s been a grind this week for me.. Got to camp in Illinois Sunday morning around 11am. Was in a stand by 1:20PM, and 2 hours later had a 120” 8 at 12 yards, decided to let him go since I had just gotten here. Had a big Doe come thru a short time later but couldn’t get a shot at her. The following days since, I’ve passed up some small bucks, seen atleast 4 shooters, one being easily a 150 class buck! I haven’t been able to get a shot at any of them though, they are either too far out of range or behind some thick brush. Haven’t had a doe in range since the first evening and this morning. The doe this morning looked like she was being chased by a buck so I let her go hopping one was following, but he never showed.. Here until Sunday evening hoping to make something happen!!

Congrats to those that have filed tags!

10. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  11. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    I am still getting in a few sits a week but only the one shooter so far and he was never in bow range.

Our rut just started and should last about three weeks. I will be prioritizing more hunt time for next several weeks. I our season lasts until early January, but my time gets more limited after the 10th. Wife reminded me we are getting low on meat, so I will definitely become a die hunter once the rut is behind us.

I hope to see some trophy pics of all you guys soon.

Happy and Holt like this.
  12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out tomorrow. I have high hopes for my sit tomorrow. I still want to shoot 1 more doe and I'm not to picky on my first buck, so if a decent buck comes by tomorrow, he's getting shot!

Good luck guys! We had a great start on the beginning of the season, so let's finish strong on the end of it!

Happy likes this.
  13. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My last of vacation starts tomorrow. Yeah! I'll be doing some rifle hunting in Oklahoma. Hopefully I can tag out early on so a have plenty of time hunting with my bow at home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Happy and Holt like this.
  14. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    rbhunting1 and Holt like this.
  15. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    0531FDA0-29DC-4463-AE1F-0820F1560E6E.jpeg C9C81BEC-9B25-40EA-81E6-E9C640A171D4.jpeg I had this guy at 23 yards this evening. Definitely a mature deer and I hesitated whether to grab the camera or the bow. Not quite there on Nov 22, but he better not tempt me in a few weeks if I still haven’t tagged one.

Happy, KDORSETT12 and rbhunting1 like this.
  16. Brad Kaufmann

Brad Kaufmann Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well boys, we need some bucks to hit the ground if we wanna get back into the competition! Most of us have a doe down (finally got mine last Sunday), but we still need some bucks! I missed an opportunity at my giant on 11/7.....had him and another decent buck following a doe around. Didn't have a ton of shooting lanes cleared, but found one at about 30-32 yards. Was able to stop him, and get the shot off, but it was high and forward....:bigcry: Got about 4-5 inches of penetration so I probably only clipped the top of one lung, if anything. Searched the next morning, only found a little blood. Have kind of left that property alone for the past 2-3 weeks, so I'm going to check all the cameras this weekend, and pray that he's still alive. If not, I'm gonna search high and low for him. The good thing is that we are usually in contact with all of the neighbors, so if someone see's him or get a pic of him, we would know. Not sure I'll ever get over this one...but hey, that's hunting. :confused:

KDORSETT12 likes this.
  17. Brad Kaufmann

Brad Kaufmann Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Here's about where I hit him. Luckily I got everything on film, so I'll post the shot so you guys can see. 20191110_193116.jpg

Holt likes this.
  18. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a bummerbut your right it happens to everyone. Chin up!!

19. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh so close!!! Game of inches!!!

20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe! Your on the board! Stinks about the buck, I wouldn't give up on him yet. It may still kill him. From the place you said you shot, the back bone dips down alot right there. You may have shot just above the spine. Many bucks have survived that shot. Hope you find him again alive or dead! Keep us posted.