Legend falls.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slugger, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was not able to harvest this one but I do have a bit of history with him. They got him running dogs. Sucks but time to go after my other big guys. received_559962661148798.jpeg received_277537162919552.jpeg received_276315523057050.jpeg 20190705_150511.jpeg 20191116_125424.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

MUDSHARK, early in and Shocker99 like this.
  2. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gates County?

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang that sucks. But life happens

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dogs...I don't have anything nice to say so this is me keeping my opinions to myself for a change.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck, congrats to the lucky hunter.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That really is a nice buck! I'm not a fan of how it was taken, but big congrats to the lucky hunter.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  8. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I understand you guys from up north don't care for the practice of hound hunting. Here in the south, especially the VA/NC/SC eastern portions, it's been going on for centuries. It certainly is something that you would have likely had to do growing up like I did.. It's got it's pros and cons. It's enjoyable, to hear the hounds, to hunt as a group and see the kids get so excited when a chase is close.. to me, and I have killed well over 100 deer in front of dogs, and will continue to do so, I realize that it really isn't a skillful way to kill them. Maybe the shot itself is, but there is no hunting skill for the hunter. But that is why I bowhunt and bowhunting is my first passion. But I have two boys, they are growing up just like me, hunting with dogs and bowhunting, we can love both.. I would say this, if you have never participated in a day dog drives, you may be surprised at how much fun you had. If not, then you have lost nothing. But dog hunting is a Southern thing, just like hunting cougars with dogs, rabbits, quail, black bears, etc... in other parts of the country. Some people could say a man drive is unethical, it's kind of the same principal as dogs, but on a much smaller level. But to each his own, I do not take offense to anyone that disapproves of dog hunting. I don't get mad and argue. People have different cultural backgrounds and beliefs.. that's what the USA is all about.

9. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Men have been hunting with hounds for thousands of years, it steped in history and tradition.

10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Its amazing to me that hunters that ambush deer from trees and pile millions of pounds of bait to kill a deer have the balls to look down on hunting with hounds.

JeffC and Vabowman like this.
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Up north they do not use dogs to drive deer, they use the youngest kids in deer camp.

TJF, BowedUp, JeffC and 3 others like this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Or a food plot etc. I think the biggest issue is property lines in the north. Dogs do not recognize property lines, at least that is the complaint I hear about hunting bear with dogs in northern WI.

13. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Well dogs are used to flush birds. they use their nose to find them, just like deer hounds use theirs. so any upland bird hunter, coon hunter, rabbit hunter etc should be on the same page as a deer hound hunter.. And down here, especially along the seaboard, it's swampy, thick and just down right hard to get deer out there... dogs have been used to do that for 400 years here in VA., and these are two fine young boys having the time of their lives.. IMG_0111.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Lung Buster, cantexian and Sota like this.
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just do not get the mindset being concerned about how hunters hunt 1000 miles away or hell a 1/2 mile away.

cantexian and Vabowman like this.
  15. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said, we all have our different ideas of ethics based on our upbringing and geographical location, but one thing is for certain, xbows, compounds, bait piles, food plots ML, rifles, whatever way we hunt, is all far better than the liberal left and their agenda sinking their claws in my boys , or anybody's kids that are on here. I will support any of that over the alternative! and that's not doing any of it and letting the government have control of your kids!

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Proudest accomplishment as a parent raising self sufficient, conservative children that grow up and will not accept the liberal lifestyle.

Lung Buster likes this.
  17. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Amen..this a time to stand and fight even if we lose, it's worth the effort!!

Lung Buster likes this.
  18. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It for sure is fun as I have been on a few hunts with friends myself. I still talk smack about it because it takes away from the hunter being a hunter in our eyes of having a certain level of skill. Especially with bowhunting. But I do agree most here down south with me living in sc for 3 years nc for 6 years and Va for 3 years I have seen how many locals love to do it. Something they grew up doing.

19. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeh, there really is no skill hunting wise involved.. other than shooting a running deer. with buckshot. but I do love to the sound of the chase and the after hunt shenanigans in the evenings.. good food, drinks and the guys.. great time!!

20. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    FWIW, deliberately running deer with dogs in Tennessee is illegal. Granted, there are some places in swamps or real heavy cover where dogs can have an advantage of running a deer by a hunter. My father and grandfather raised beagles. I always marveled how they would jump a rabbit and run it in a circle by us.