***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2019***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back! Long story short, 17 does this morning, no shot opportunities, no bucks following any of them??? Had to get out of stand about 20 minutes before sunset, nothing up to that point!
    Congrats Mike and anyone else that killed today!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep! Just got off the net! I am now legal in Missouri for tomorrow!

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I ask my buddy to hunt yesterday bc he has had a rough season so far and I thought I could get him on some deer. Work all night and planned to sleep from 8am to 1pm and meet him. On the way home I see a female Marine broke down on the side of the road in rush hr traffic. I just want to sleep but Im not having some Marine sitting out there without help. So I stop and change her tire then head home but I cant sleep bc Im now worked up. Sleep from 9am to 1230 pm and then guide my friend into the bedding area. I then leave him and head to a spot Ive never hunted.

10 minutes before sundown I hear all hell breaking loose and coming my way. A doe flies in followed by a real good buck. 10 yards and quartering to he breeds her. Then she takes off under my tree and the runs after her. I yelled to stop him and shoot him but he didnt stop. I spun around the tree due to the angle and he bred her again. I wait and then shoot at him from 10 yds but a steep angle. I think I hit him. He runs off after her and breeds her again at 20 yds. As soon as he is done I launch an arrow and he jumps and trots off while making a buck roar. Well I think it is the sound of maybe a briscuit/heart deflection into the throat and he is gonna die. I dont hear him go down or even walk off. He disappers as the sun goes down.

Bring in my buddy and find the first arrow..no sign. We couldnt find the 2nd arrow. But we walked all over the place and couldnt find a single drop of blood.

Took a few lessons from this hunt. My thumb release has tightened up a bit and Ive been flinching a little as a result. I should have squared that away. And I should have shot that buck when I had my first opportunity at the best angle..not waiting for a perfect shot when crap is moving fast.

Hell of a day. Gonna get my equipment squared away and get back at it next week. Only way I know how to do it is keep hammering.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well whateve was grunting never showed. Got down about 10 mins before dark so could put card back in cam. Saw 4 more doe in feild next to draw I was sitting in. Looked to ne a couple mature ones. They took off across field when i hopped fence. Overall guess pretty decent night left all my stuff in the stand since plan on goin back in morning. Hoping i can sleep little vetter than last night, only got about 4 hours. But I'll be up and ready to go around 430 or so. Should be easy getting in since left gear so might take short cut but see what its like in morning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cameron Haynes would be proud. Keep hammering indeed.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Kfili and virginiashadow like this.
  6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man 0230 is gonna come quick... still at the party... only had 2 beers lol

7. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    I had a rant about this but decided not to waste my time. I'm legal and it was cheap for the thrill I get. Hahahaha!

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Literally sick to my stomach.... I’ve been calling my shot on a big buck I have on camera and tonight was my last chance with archery equipment.... I took the crossbow as I knew a farther shot might present itself.... and it did.... he came from my right, quartering towards the lane I thought he was gonna come from.... he took me a little off guard.... and he was wide...

I stopped looking at the rack and grabbed the crossbow and the damn stock clicked... he stops and looks at me... I lost all sense... he was in the golden rod and I had an opening right in the sweet spot

I fired ... I should have let him come into the lane... he would have been wide open... but the click of the stock unnerved me and I hurried....

Thwack! He takes off and I watch him hoping he would fall in site

I wait 15 minutes and check the hit site and there’s good blood..

IMG_5043.JPG

IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5044.JPG

I wait another 15 and slowly walk the trail... and it’s that easy the whole way ... I keep expecting to see him lying up ahead.... several hundred yards later, the blood is still good but I am now trespassing.... I couldn’t go on... I scan ahead to see if I see him.... nothing but more blood trail... I back out....

Dejected, I drive home.... whine to Brett.... whine to my wife.... jump on HuntStand to find out who owns the property ... jump on Google to get his number... call him.... get answering machine.... start leaving a message and he picks up.... I tell him my tale of woe and he is awesome about it... even offered to meet me out there, but I think we would have pushed him had we... I told him if it was still on my sons land, I would have went back about 1am .. he agreed.....

Tomorrow is gun opener and they have been staying off their land for the last 2 weeks in preparation for tomorrow.... he didn’t want to look in the middle of the night and I do t blame him.... he said they will eventually be walking the property tomorrow and if they find it, he will call me to come tag my buck.... tonight is gonna be below freezing so the meat will be good if he is dead

He thanked me several times for being respectful and calling him... we talked for a while ... very nice guy.... if they don’t find it during the day tomorrow, he will go with me at dark to search

I haven’t lost a deer in a long time.... this feeling sucks bad

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks Tony, but at least you are going to have a shot at recovering him.

Could you see POI?

With him not clotting up, that's a somewhat good sign. Steep angle or was he quarted to/from?

Hopefully they can find him for you and at least let you know sooner than sunset.

10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, but those 40s are killers when you're not young [​IMG]

11. Whackemnstackem

Whackemnstackem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck tomorrow hopefully he is dead and you will put your tag on him tomorrow

12. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Damn dude! I think/hope you'll find him but I dont envy your sleepless night. Crazy how it all gets so crazy so fast. Awesome that you got a shot though. I'm still hoping for one.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like in that last pic he may have been dragging a leg?

Did you recover arrow?

14. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well beer camp is over. Had a good time.getting ready for bed. Tomorrow is the first day of gun season, still not sure where I’m going to go in the am. Labatts blue telling me it’s time for bed. Good luck to who are all out tomorrow. I’ll be out with the 20 gauge bolt action for the next couple weeks.

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I could not see POI and could not find arrow

I was in a ground blind and he was a little higher than me

16. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It sucks, but at least you have options and good neighbors. It may be a long shot, but there is still a possibility of recovery without waste.

wl704 and vermontwhitetail like this.
  17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tried getting up early today as to be tired tonight, crazy how that doesn't work like it should.

Not sure how hard I'll hunt tomorrow. Not going to shoot a small buck, but I may well shoot a doe and call it a day if one presents itself.

Hate the fact that I go back to work Monday.

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You use a tripod or freehand?

19. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Tony, sounds like still made good shot. Hope ya find him

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vermontwhitetail and Tony like this.
  20. snuff

snuff Die Hard Bowhunter