***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2019***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

2. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd stay put though. seems to be a high traffic area.

3. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm out. Nothing more seen...always tomorrow!

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I tried! Tried a snort wheeze as well. He wanted nothing to do with it. Forgot to say that!

I'm staying put for sure!

5. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I’ve seen a few does and a nice eight point. I can’t shoot another buck and to does we’re just out of range, of coarse....

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stay with it bud

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's not Crawfeet you can relax :lol:

8. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got a question guys? I got a thermal imager to help me locate my deer AFTER I have shot it on the evening. How long does a deer give off heat until it’s dead cold and the scanner can’t detect it anymore? I know I’m not the only one using one of these. Someone told me LC uses one I think? LET ME KNOW

2016 bear escape
    Black eagle Spartans
    NAP Double Cross
    Ohio

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Come on now, tried to turn it into a chitshow. 3 times I walked up tonthe buck forgetting knife and buttout, 3 times I walked to the 4 wheeler to get them. Only once did I remember to grab them.

Then trying to find 2 V sticks of even length to stick in the ground to hold phone for pics knowing every second patience grows thinner.

I couldn't dress him out until the pic finally uploaded because I had to keep picking phone up to see if it was uploaded to post. Couldn't hold phone in hand as it would lose signal, had to balance on a tree limb for damn near 20 minutes :lol:

tdk5525, MUDSHARK, tc racing and 8 others like this.
  10. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not as long as it takes you to check in after killing a deer.:deadhorse:

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rarely happens, I hate my picture being taken.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  12. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Haha!!!!!

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those weather people don’t have a clue. It has gotten downright windy!

14. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2:
    Poor Mike...he’s never gonna live that down!

15. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hell yea man, congratulations.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vermontwhitetail and cls74 like this.
  16. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, get a hold of Little chief

MUDSHARK and vermontwhitetail like this.
  17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again everyone.

Not a whole lot to it. Got in stand with about 45 minutes until legal time. Legal was 6:14am and Sunrise was 6:44am.

I debated last night whether to take @early in's approach and get in after sunup. I couldn't fall asleep for nothing last night as I slept in yesterday. Left alarm set and would make the call this AM. Alarms go off, 3 of them, and on the last I just laid there for a few minutes. Check conditions, 27 degrees and 3mph west wind.

Figured I'd better get up and get showered. Got on the road and walk into the gas station, look at the donut case and its empty. Head for the coffee and the attendant says, no coffee ready yet. Sorry. Turned around, walked out the door and went across the street. Door was locked so head back to truck, look up and attendant pushed other door open. I didn't check it. Get my coffee and 2 donuts and hit the road after a complaint here. The curse was real, dumb *****.

Got to property and no one else is parked getting dressed, smiled and was hoping no one hunted yesterday. Get dressed and gather everything up and head down the trail. Heavy boot traffic since Monday when it snowed. Couldn't tell if it was 2 or 3 people, a lot of tracks. Get to the first split off and no one took it, thought I may double back if someone hunted the stand I was aiming for.

2 scrapes were opened up on the way down, sent another bout if confidence my way. See the tracks head towards the box blind and continue on to stand, tracks suddenly turn into one set and then tske a left. Someone pulled the trail cam card. No tracks went to the stand I wanted and none went deeper to the back stand. Confidence level went up again, no one had hunted here or further back since I left at 10:30am Monday.

Get in stand and abouy 10 minutes before legal light I zip up the legs and front of my insulated suit. Put my bow in my lap and wait.

Legal light comes and I start scanning around, can see tracks but not sure buck or doe or even if its deer. 6 minutes after legal, 6:20am, I look to the north and now have a NW wind at 5'ish mph and see 3 deer coming. Chit myself briefly then get the bow upright. 2 mature does and a doe fawn. Fawn keeps looking back. All 3 offered a shot, but the doe looking back make me hold off. They work on past to the NE and tske the trail East wither to bedding or off the property. Didn't hear nor see a trailing deer. Starting to kick myself for passing yet again on some meat. Figure usually one group moves through then takes 20-40 minutes before another does. Broke the seal at the truck and coffee was filtering through me so ease up on my feet and relieve myself. Get sat back downand start scanning around when I catch a bit of movement on the trail the does took.

Figured it was leaves messing with me again but clipped release on D loop anyway. Then catch more movement but a bit closer. Figure thise does were headed back maybe what had been following cut them off.

Then I catch glimoae of antler and I stand up as he's well behind some thick shrubs. Out he comes and I can see he has a full rack, but can't tell how big with nose to the ground coming straight on. He finally lifts his head and I immediately think he looks like the 10 a couple years back.

At this point I'm unsure if I am still standing or sat back down, I don't recall. I refrained from trying to count tines or stare at his rack but he is facing me head on and think I will not get a shot.

Then with a little magic he turns to his right and starts stepping north. At this time I draw back and looking through the peep think yo myself, his rack makes his body look small. He takes 2 steps as he starts walking and I "Meh" him. He stops and looks at me as I settle the pin and shoot. Hit looks high and arrow sticking out of him about 15 inches, but I see the blood pumping out as he turns to bolt.

I follow with my eyes, then listen with my ears, snapping limbs and twigs and then silence. No crash, no thrashing no moan. Silence.

Climb down with bow and quiver and head back up. Keot watching phone for first signal yo update the thread.

Once back up towards the truck, look west and see the moon through the teees, just a little higher than its eastern counterpart.

20191114_064647.jpg

Get back down and dress him out, toss him in the sled and head out.

20191114_080613.jpg

I took the 4 wheeler up wheee he came from as the was the closest drag, on the way out seen a sscrape that I am guessing he was working when I first caught movement.

20191114_080457.jpg

Stopped at POI to get pack and bow, and took what would be his final view, minus me on the stand.

20191114_073122.jpg

Had some nontypical points going on around the bases, the flat one(s) are pretty cool. Never seen that.

20191114_083937.jpg

20191114_083935.jpg

20191114_083940.jpg

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not a lot to it, holy crap that is a long post.

Sorry guys :lol:

19. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    So awesome!! Congrats!!!

20. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jersey is great. 41, partly sunny. Light s wind. I'm about a half hour from getting in a tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.