Team 5 - Cinco de Arrow

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by Brad Kaufmann, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  2. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For some reason I can't see the picture. Good job anyway. I saw 5 this morning. Going to take grandkids rifle hunting tomorrow afternoon. I may go in the morning if I get off work around midnight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unlike yesterday which was crazy action this morning was actually slow, rattled in a small 8 around 8:30am, didn’t see another deer until 11am which was a button buck and then another small 8 came in with him. Around 11:30am seen a big doe come flying in with this guy on her tail! Had to yell to get them to stop and the rest is history! Both brow tines are split making him an 11pt. Flying out to Colorado Wednesday for a wedding so won’t get to score him until I get back, my service sucks out here so picture might not have loaded right

Holt and Happy like this.
  4. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just checking in. Haven’t been on in awhile but still getting a few hunts per week in. Nothing to my liking within bow range yet. About 7-1-0 days out from beginning of rut and starting the end of this week, hope to intensify my hunting time over next several weeks.

Congratulations to those with deer down already.

Happy and Holt like this.
  5. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well down to the last week to try to fill tag. Plan on getting out two nights this week and two sits on Saturday. Temps look to be cold overnight all week. Just got all clothes cleaned , backpack loaded and just threw ozone generator in tote. Can’t wait until tomorrow after work. Feeling good about it. Good luck to whoever else is getting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

KDORSETT12 and Holt like this.
  6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was out tonight. Almost got a buck. Setup on the island I got my doe. As soon as I got up I started seeing bucks. The big one only got to 40 yards and turned back. So I decided to get down and make a move toward him. I moved 60 yards and as I'm climbing the tree, I see him. I finished setting up and he is slowly moving my way. He gets to 50 yards and beds down. Stays there for a hour, then gets up and goes the other way. I ended up seeing around 9-10 deer. Had 4 does come in to 10 yards and mill around. Was going to shoot one, but I was pushing almost a 1 1/2 miles from the truck. Wasn't feeling a long doe drag tonight. Hope I don't regret that!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jackflap and KDORSETT12 like this.
  7. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just a matter of time buddy!! Seems like your always near them!! One of theses days you will score

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's frustrating and fun at the same time, if that makes sence. I've had more close encounters this year then I have in a long time. It's going to happen! Maybe I wasn't supposed to shoot that buck tonight. I should really focus on the 2 big boys I've seen.

Happy likes this.
  9. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh it makes complete sense!! I feel that hunting is a lot like golf. It is so mentally frustrating knowing you can do what needs to be done and so close so many times. So many factors that affect the outcome every time. But still so much fun because occasionally it all comes together and you make that shot that brings you back for more.
    Keep at it!! You got this !!
    Confidence is key!!

Holt and rbhunting1 like this.
  10. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This day seems to be getting better as the day goes on for hunting tonight. Getting colder by the minute, the rain has stopped and wind is blowing perfectly for where I want to sit. Let’s get this day over with and go huntin.
    I think this will be the coldest weather I’ve hunted in all season.

Holt likes this.
  11. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well was close but no shots. Saw group of 6 does that worked past me. Big doe stayed just at 40. It was a lot colder than I expected. Hope to get out again tomorrow evening.

Holt likes this.
  12. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Another exciting night on stand. No shots but I was watching deer the entire time I was in. Didn’t even take 5 minutes and had a real nice buck appear about 80 yards below me sniffing around. He disappeared and 15 minutes later had doecome out below me with buck trailing behind. Not chasing her but just following. They were around me all night. Had bow in my hand and ready for 90 percent of the time waiting for him to chase her my way. They were all over around me but doe never got any closer than 45. Buck was at 35 once. Saw 3 or 4 other deer one being a smaller buck. Great fun and very exciting.
    I’m down to about 7-8 hours of stand time yet if I want to get tag filled with archery tackle.

Holt likes this.
  13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I missed a buck tonight. He stayed around me for 30 minutes with his doe and had multiple chance to shoot again, but just let him have the win. I was a little mad at myself for flinching so bad on the shot, so I just watched him the rest of the evening. Got to hear him make a growl sound and snort weezed 5 times at another buck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

14. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a bummer!!i can’t say that I’ve ever heard that before.

Holt likes this.
  15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been on vacation since last Friday. I have to say this has been the slowest pre-rut I've ever experienced. I've only seen one buck actually with, following or chasing a doe. He came checked her then bolted. That's it. Some small bucks have been out cruising around but I'm not even getting the big boys on my trail cams. Buddy of mine hunts a really nice piece of ground just on the other side of an ag field from me and he's experiencing the same thing. There's standing corn all over so I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it.

Finally had a decent buck that made me pickup my bow cruise by tonight. After reviewing the footage, I'm glad I decided to pass him up. He was most likely a 3 year old, probably would have been just under 120".

What I can't figure out is, where the hell are all my doe? Seriously I'm not seeing doe at all. I bumped a little one on my way in, but I think I've only seen a couple doe all week. Been pretty discouraging.

Holt and Happy like this.
  16. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Modern gun started this past Saturday. I've been taking my granddaughter out trying to get her a buck. I'll be hunting alone in the morning. Hope to see this guy in the morning. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KDORSETT12, Happy and Holt like this.
  17. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well this is my last morning sit for this season. I can’t believe it’s over already. I’m kinda glad I still have a tag because I would have missed a lot if stand time and experiences that were actually very cool even though nothing was killed. Great year for me hoping to end it with a bang or thwack shall we say. Brown it’s down” unless it has buttons or super tiny”I have some standards.

rbhunting1 likes this.
  18. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I did it. Tagged out!!!! Getting her taken care of now. Pics later. Total bloodbath!!!!!

19. cjuvinall

cjuvinall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For the the first time in 19 years, I did not have an opportunity at a buck or doe prior to gun season (well, 1 doe on opening day). Tough hunting...temps in single digits, snow, all agg fields unharvested. I did not even see a buck in daylight.

Next Saturday starts 9-day gun season - I'll take all of the kids out and spend some time filling the freezer (hopefully).

Then, late season...hoping for a doe or an unlucky buck...I'll be hunting over a corn field that I just (today) gained permission to hunt. Congrats to all you guys who have been laying the smackdown on them!

20. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What a great way to end the season. The mornings hunt was close 8 walked through my 28 yard clearing about 10 minutes before it was light enough to shoot. 2 bucks pushing them through grunting the entire way. I decided to go back in to another stand at 12:00. About 1:45 I heard a noise and turned to look and there were 2 deer already within 30 yards. They had come in from behind me out of the cut bean field. I slowly reached for my bow and got into position. Doe and yearling were walking right where I had walked into stand. They were smelling every tree I had put evercalm on and really had no idea I was there. A third deer came in off field and it was a small button buck he was bristled up and came in and started pushing other 2 around. Doe wasn’t having it and reared up and thumped him on top of the head. While all of this was happening I drew back on her twice but she stayed behind some saplings. Finally she was standing in a gap between two saplings I drew back again 20 yards aimed small to thread the needle and let er rip. Nocturnal disappeared and she took 3 or 4 leaps and stood there blood pouring everywhere. After about 10seconds she just fell over and rolled down the hill. Died against a tree about 15 yards from my stand.
    What a way to end it. No tracking ,easy recovery,hanging in the garage 1 hour before it even got dark. Talk about using the entire season to get it done.perfect ending to what I would say was my best archery season yet. IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0881.JPG

KDORSETT12, jackflap and Holt like this.