Team 12 - Drop Tine Dozen

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by vermontwhitetail, Aug 26, 2019.

1. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I’m off of work Thursday, Friday, and Monday.

I damn sure hope to fill my 2nd buck tag and at least one doe tag.

50/50 I either will or I won’t lol

I’m moving in deep, hunting as long as possible and will definitely be doing a little calling

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to go...

1. Hunting tonight, Friday and Saturday.

2. I hope my uncle does! I’m looking for a doe and a yote.

3. 70% for my uncle and or hunting buddy. 25% for me. I can get a doe anytime more about them guys this weekend.

4. I’m going to hunt the edges and leave the good stuff to them... But I’m not saying I won’t be calling just to see what’s around!

vermontwhitetail, Turro and MIHOYT89 like this.
  3. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Planning to be out last hours tonight and tomorrow. After the empty last few sits should be due for something to come through between the two. I will be sending an arrow at any deer, done holding back. Or possibly even the rabbit that’s been taunting me if no deer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  5. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Kept to my word, I wasn’t holding back. Fat doe down. Gonna bring the kids to “track” it in a minute but when I saw the arrow I could see her belly 10 yards away, it’s a done deal

[​IMG]

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I fucked up tonight. Got on stand today and told myself I was gonna shoot anything that gave me a shot, just wanted some freezer meat. 5 minutes after setting up I saw two does (one ended up being a button buck) working their way towards me. The whole situation was text book and the second doe (button buck) gave me a perfect broadside shot. Here's where I screwed up, I forget my rangefinder on this hunt amd didnt think much of it as I've got a decent amount of experience guesstimating yardage. Welp, turns out he was 4 yards farther than I thought. That's a big deal when you're launching 620 grain arrows out of a 50lb recurve. Shot look perfect tight to the shoulder but very low. He mule kicked on the shot so I figured I clipped the heart. Watched him walk off slowly then lost sight of him. Got down an hour later and checked my arrow, clean pass through and looked like lung blood. At this point I'm convinced Its primarily a single lung hit. I decide to pack up my stand and hike the mile out, change and then come back and pick up the trail. By the time I actually picked up the track it was 2 hours after the shot. Solid blood trail that I could easily walk along with only a couple of times of searching for blood. Jumped a creek and you could see he was wobbly and slid in the mud, looks very promising. After the creek he opens up a lot and I think ill find him any second. End up finding his bed I jumped him from soaked in blood without a single pin prick after that. Backed out and I'll be back at first light [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

7. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Max. Hope tomorrow it comes together and find him. That’s one thing I remember of recurve too, especially with a good heavy arrow, is the yardage. I jumped up to 585 grain for my compound and it changed it up a ton from last years which was under 450 or around. Even now resighted a bunch and pin gaps changed big time.

Was a good night for me. Had a big fat old doe come in. Drew twice and let down, was maybe overthinking wanting perfect shot. Then she stood broadside 30 yards and blew through hair high double lung. She made it maybe 10 yards. Got my kids on the tracking job and they had a blast. Always would love the big buck but when I told them I stuck a big doe they went nuts. 50 points and gonna be a nice pile in the freezer to add to my road cleanup

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Kfili, early in, Mathews1995 and 4 others like this.
  8. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep your head up petros, it looks very promising! Congrats turro! Way to get the kids involved

vermontwhitetail and Turro like this.
  9. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thank ya. It’s been my favorite part since having kids. They just have a blast no matter what. The excitement hearing I got one and tracking and getting to come up to a down deer is awesome from them. Literally makes every deer a trophy. Hoping next year to get my oldest out for a sit. Or a rifle sit from safe spot coming up. First time they get to see one from a stand/blind will really be something, especially If get one down then

vermontwhitetail and MIHOYT89 like this.
  10. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here man! I’ve got a 5 and 3 year old and I’m hoping to get my 5 year old out in a blind next year!

vermontwhitetail and Turro like this.
  11. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys if you haven’t seen it head on over to LFTS and check out the story of my dads buck from last night. He killed his biggest deer to date and I was able to share the moment with him!

12. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Took a quick peak at your dads. That’s awesome, congrats to him. Always love seeing good stories like that.
    Mine are close to that too, older is 6 in a week and March my younger will be 5. Older is definitely more responsible and think I might be able to make a try work. Younger is a fun goof. He’s an entertainer and takes nothing serious but having a blast and excitement. Might be a hard one to get still for seconds let alone sits but we’ll give it a try too. My older wants to take his girlfriend for a sit in the blind already and told me they can just do it alone and I don’t have to be there. Probably a motivator for him trying to behave already that helps

vermontwhitetail and MIHOYT89 like this.
  13. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story. I hunt with my dad and there is nothing better. We talk strategy and tell the stories of each hunt with each other. There's just something special about tracking a deer with your dad. And we each get more excited when the other one shoots a deer rather than ourselves.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

14. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Turro, Congrats, Nice Doe!

Turro likes this.
  15. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    That blood looks really good. Any luck today finding it?

16. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After 3 hours of looking this morning and following every trail she could've taken I picked up blood again around 9:30. Followed it for another 80 yards and found where she expired in a pool of blood. Saw some drag marks going about 15 yards and a gut pile. Total kick in the gut. Found some dudes stand 20 yards away. Gotta love public land. At least she didnt go to the coyotes

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Turro likes this.
  17. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    That is BS. Had that happen during a NJ shotgun season once years ago at Voorhees State Park. Sorry Max. Plenty of season left.

I'll be in NJ saturday! 9 day stretch. It's almost go time! Deer calendar says Saturday through Wednesday are the best days of the month. Weather looks pretty good through that period as well.

early in and Turro like this.
  18. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Max. I agree about not going to coyotes, but wish it woulda worked out for you after doing all the work for it. Hopefully just makes it work for bigger and better.
    Good luck coming up Vermont. Hope to hear of some good stand time and success.

19. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy shot a big buck last night out of the same stand I killed my deer... The track has been difficult with rain last night and a potentially non fatal shot. Hard to say at this point as he’s gone quite a ways without laying down.

We will give it another look over this morning.

20. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks. Good luck on it. Always best when some kinda closure comes whether dead deer or cam pic surviving

early in and vermontwhitetail like this.