Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started walking 12 to 15 miles per week a couple of months ago. The reason for this is anywhere you go you can walk. You do not need equipment or a gym. I also try to incorporate two days of power yoga with the wife. This works for me and keeps me in shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This workout is no joke. I liked it so much that I put one of my personal training clients through it this afternoon. We did it together and it took 34 minutes. Between that and my hike earlier today, I may sleep until noon tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Westfinger and Justin like this.
  3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Adam here's another, conceptually simple, but a killer.

Westfinger and cantexian like this.
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need to get into better shape for some up coming goat and sheep hunts .... I dumped 30 pounds so far but my cardio isnt where it needed to be. My strength and upper body is soild, and I have no problem packing weight over some decent terrain.
    Just need a little more in the long dept....think I am going to start sprinting few days week

virginiashadow and Westfinger like this.
  5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I like it. That may be tomorrow's workout.

Westfinger likes this.
  6. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a good one you posted that before if I’m not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wl704 likes this.
  7. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal, there are lots of body weight exercises you can do that will improve your leg strength, endurance, and balance.

Those hunts have to be brutal. What altitudes will you be hunting/camped at?

8. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    10k plus

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First, I'm jealous. At 54, I'm to the point where I can almost afford (time and $) these sorts of hunts, but not sure my body could hold up. Best of luck!

Just armchair quarterbacking here but I'd be amping up from elk training. You'd probably do well to ask guys on the Rok or FB forums (e.g. Sheep Hunting).

I'd be thinking Agility (thinking skree and rock prep), Endurance and Cardio. Some distance work, lots of weighted hills/stairs/steps, Jacob's ladder, balance and the like.

Depending on time of year and destination: rope skills, climbing gym, maybe some mountaineering/snow related training if needed (build practical exp with gear not used much).

More so for others reading, dropping any excess weight also helps tremendously at altitude...or getting there.

10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to elk hunting, nothing is better than getting your body used to hiking with heavy packs. Last year, I carried out both rear quarters on my brother's elk. That pack weighed over 120lbs. All exercise training should be done for the sole purpose of making the body as prepared for this as possible.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The pack out, like the shot, is only part of the journey.

My experience, lots of miles, elevation gained/lost, and a **** ton of blow down before either the shot or pack out for Elk.

This year we probably put 70 miles on, before we hauled meat. But not terribly sketchy terrain (sure tumbles were taken, could break a leg or something).

Goats/sheep can be way, next level.

This one with snow, distance and some slopes.

This one, miles and elevation

YMMV. My dream.

cantexian likes this.
  12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    yea, packing meat out isnt my issue. In the last five years I have packed out three moose, an elk., two caribou and a couple mule deer. My legs and upper body strength is excellent. Right now I am lacking in the lung department. At higher elevation I feel like my cardio is lacking, My heart rate goes up a bit to much at sudden starts, it levels off quick enough but it can be better. I will at be higher elevations later this winter, and I will make a couple training trips next spring and summer to 8K plus. My Alaska hunt next August will be at only 5k.... SO I need to get ready for 10-12K elevations I will see in British Columbia

Westfinger and cantexian like this.
  13. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good plan Trial. Elevation kicks my ass too. I feel like I’m in pretty good shape year round. Take me above 8k and I get gassed easy.

Did 2000’ on the Jacobs ladder yesterday

Brah workout today. Incline DB, OHP with Swiss bar, hack squats, leg extensions, chest flys, ez curls, calf raises, face pulls.

Hoping to do the buck drag for tomorrow’s work out.

trial153 likes this.
  14. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    LFTG trying to get in the gym during my Deercation. Yesterday did decline bench, OHP, squats, flys, Db curls.

Today incline bench, high row, speed bag, low row, pull ups, cable tricep extensions, real delts.

foodplot19 and virginiashadow like this.
  15. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty sure you just made every muscle I have hurt!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Westfinger likes this.
  16. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I follow my bodybuilding routine that has always been the most beneficial for me.. even though I am not going to enter a contest, I keep the tempo up and the reps low with heavy weight.. My diet is on point and my cardio is as well. I lift 4 days a week. chest and tri's 2 times w eek. one heavy day and one mid weight heavy day.. meaning, Say a Sunday, no more than 3-6 reps 4-5 sets.. these are heavy barbell flat, decline and incline.. flys, cables cross overs..next will back and bi's.. the next day is shoulders. then a lighter chest day 6-8 reps. try to get a day of rest in between each day.. run 15 mins 4 days a week, with my diet and walking in the woods, that's all I need.. diet is 85% of the deal.. protein high, carbs low, fat low.. calories around 2000-2200.. I weigh 147 lbs. around 10% body fat.. my strength isn't what it once was, Im not weighing 180 lbs and benching 380 lbs anymore but I look better, feel better, and clothes fit way better..

Westfinger, pastorjim08 and Justin like this.
  17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what I did but feel like I have a knife jabbed into a knee (inside). Only started after I did a few miles incline on the treadmill this morning. Couldn't hardly bend my left leg all day if there is any twist (e.g. Cross legs, pick up foot at airport security to lose my shoes)...

18. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    is there a popping feeling?

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No, started hurting this morning, but no catch or crunch.

20. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With work slowing down I've been easing back into the gym a little more. Been making it at least 2 days after not at all for close to almost 2 months. Haven't really been following anything just kinda doin a mix. Been doin a heavy lift (dl, squat, or bench) then kinda doin bro stuff. Think the break actually helped out little, was getting kinda sloppy on form somewhat. Think I was over thinking when setting up to do heavy lifts and was screwing me up. Also kinda focused too much on the weight, now I just keep putting weight on as long as it feels good and form stays good. Surprisingly I've been getting higher maxes than was doin before. Not that need to really get big weights but other day i pulled 425 on deadlift and that's most I've done. Felt like coulda did more but I stopped. Squat is gettin close to 300. Bench is still kinda crap but I've been sticking to using dumbbells over bar and highest gym has is 75# dumbbells. Tried bar week or so ago just because and did around 180. Never could really bench much for whatever reason tho.

Tonight did heavy squats, then high rep leg press and leg extensions. 3 sets of 10 at about 75 max then 1 set of amrap at about 50. Legs felt like jello after that so finished up with dumbbell rows 10 reps from 50# down to 25# dumbbell and tri pull downs on cable machine 2 sets amrap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk