Anyone else struggling?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So Saturday morning I saw 7 does and one spike from the stand. All were about 55-60 yds and I thought we finally had some cold weather and it's a matter of days before they really get moving...From Saturday afternoon, Monday AM and PM And this evening I have seen 0 deer.. To heck with seeing shooter bucks, I have not seen A deer from stand.. 4 sits in a row.. There seems to be 50% less rubs and scrapes this year..f.. there was a lot of cotton planted this year along with some corn, beans and peanuts not so much.. cotton and deer don't mix.. acorns were not plentiful either.. I am struggling to see deer more so this year than before. As of today, I have seen 21 deer from the stand this year.. 14 total sits. How does your season compare?

2. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's not been a good year on my property in NY either. New neighbors and a very wet spring and summer. In August and September only one doe and fawn visited my feed station. There are a lot of tracks along the trails near my creek bottom but none of them showed up on my trail cam. Usually this time of year a few bucks start cruising the area looking for does; but I'm not sure that is even going to happen. Debating giving it a few more tries or just hunting locally here in NJ. At least I'm seeing deer here.

Vabowman likes this.
  3. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    hmm Ive seen a about the same amount I usually see which is not much to be fair. But I also havent hunted as much this year.

4. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Are you hunting in Bedford?

5. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    During early October I was seeing does almost every sit. Of course they were on different properties that I only planned to hunt the first part of October and planned to hunt a different property for when crops came off. Well needless to say I have seen zero deer in stand in the last 2 weeks. Zero trail cam pics as well. I give up

6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Probably the worst year I can remember in 30+ years.
    Deer are in some kinda funk here. Not sure what's going on?

7. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    4 days total in the stand. I've seen a couple doe out of range. Typically by now I would have seen more doe and at least a small buck or 2. There have been some decent bucks killed in my area, and I heard several muzzleloader shots this weekend...Could just be bad timing. Rut kicking off soon, and couple more months left so I am hopeful.

Okiebob likes this.
  8. Sugiono23

Sugiono23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m having a better year for sightings than previous years here in Illinois. The weather is cooperating, the properties I’m hunting have improved some, and the coyotes have thinned out. Getting pics of shooters on public but not many daytime. That could be different now as the pics are couple weeks old. The private I just hunted this past weekend was on fire just didn’t see one I wanted to shoot. I’m hunting some public here all next week that is loaded with mature bucks (antler restriction). Hope it continues like it has

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have sat 4 times, saw several does each sit talking 12 plus does and their fawns and no antlered bucks. Wife's nephew sat at my place last night same story. Just don't get it how can you have that many does with no bucks chasing in the first week of November?

ash d likes this.
  11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Less rubs. Less scrapes. Less deer sightings overall. Ive probably hunted 14 to 15 times. Seen about that many deer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly...

13. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly what I have experienced..

14. mflora98ss

mflora98ss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It’s been real slow for me as well here in New York. Perfect weather just no deer movement whatsoever. Don’t remember it ever being this slow in years past.

15. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My season is starting out similarly to yours! I've sat 6 times (48 total hours) and seen 7 deer. That might not sound too bad, but 6 of those 7 deer were seen the same evening. Three doe, a button buck, and two other bucks not far behind them. One was a 4pt and the other an 8pt. So really, things have been pretty poor for deer sightings. I must say though, that I did see my target buck on Oct 18th, which I never expected to see, and blew an opportunity to kill him. I had him on trail cam too.

Chances at shooter bucks in my woods are few and far between, and I missed my chance. I'm not counting on another chance, but I'll certainly be out there trying!!! I'm sure that the tornado that came through my hunting area didn't help things either.

When I was hunting from my NEW stand sight, I had a decent view of the damage zone from the storm. Being not very far from my "regular" hunting spot, I THINK I might be able to access my trail cams that I thought were lost because of all of the downed trees in the area. I'm going in to try and recover them this morning. If I can get to them I'll post any pics of interest. I may or may not hunt this evening, depending on what I find and how long it takes. Good luck out there guys and gals!! :tu:

Vabowman likes this.
  16. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Even with it being a terrible year for me. Ive never seen so many mature bucks killed here in Indiana. My Facebook feed is full of big bucks every night.

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't seen a deer over 110" all season. 80% of my sits on local properties I haven't see "a" deer. I spent 4 days in Iowa at the end of October and saw deer every sit, but all does and young bucks. It's been pretty brutal so I'm currently taking a break for a few days. I need to spend some time with the family and focus on work for a bit. Sometimes I find that I get too wrapped up in hunting and let it affect other areas of my life.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was so half assed I hunted without showering or spraying down every layer the other night. Granted the wind was blowing and I sat in the proper stand for that wind but still. I have had 3 years in a row like this. Sitting in a stand with does all over the first week of November and not an antler in sight, curse the sky.

19. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Struggling is all relative to where you hunt.. Some guys would love to say they have not seen anything over 110"80% deer sightings would be a great season, but it all depends on what your hunting experiences are from past years and the deer numbers and quality in your area.. For me, not seeing a deer every sit is common, but going 4-5 sits in a row without seeing one deer is not common.. only seeing 3 small bucks in a season is not common..not seeing plenty of rubs and scrapes in not common.. on Average I probably see 30 ish deer from the bow stand each year and I will see at least one shooter buck if not 2 or 3.. this year has been way down in all categories..but it seems like it's across the board in many states..

early in likes this.
  20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tred Barta once hunted for 100 days without seeing a deer. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk