Team 14 - Cross Country Killers

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by slickbilly-d, Aug 26, 2019.

1. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Literally the best and worst week I’ve ever had hunting. I’m not giving up. I feel terrible but I feel like the worst thing to do is quit

2. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dang man, I know it sucks. Try not to let it get you down. Last year I lost 2 nice ones, so I know the feeling.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  3. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I’m going to hunt hard next weekend. Probably two all day sits. Saturday the 16th is opening day of gun. I like to shoot a doe with my gun but I’ll take my bow

Shawn Clark likes this.
  4. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow I missed a lot while I was in Northeast Washington the late 9 days. Congrats on those who havested deer. Update on my hunt, I didn't get and elk. The terrian was different then we had expected. I was thick wooded mountains with tracks of burnt timber. Glassing was challenging because there wasn't open medows like on the hunting shows. The temps where pretty cold for tents, several night were in the single digits. I hiked over 35 miles climbed 3 mountains, had a great time just didn't get a crack at and elk and that's ok. Saw lots of white-tails, some turkeys, and forest grouse is what they where calling them. However that was then, now I'm focusing on deer. I'll be out Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I will shot a doe becasue i'm down to almost no venison. Goodluck everyone. I'll post some pictures of Washington soon. I haven't checked my cameras in a while either.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  5. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    WGI_0069.JPG Hunted Saturday and Sunday afternoon, saw three doe Saturday with no shot. Sunday I saw two more doe once again no shot chance. Zero bucks chasing doe, winds were not consistent so the Ozonics worked overtime. It is just not happening in my woods yet, I start leave this Friday until next Friday and plan on some morning, afternoon and a few all day sits.

On a side note my little hunting partner had a shot chance at a doe but she spotted him reaching for his bow and took off. Once again he did not follow my advice.........always stand the first and last hour of light with bow in hand. He will figure it out, we all did !!!!

Pulled one of my camera by the swamp, this guy is coming through regular. He will be an in stand decision, looks young to me.

Dave

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  7. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    They’re not chasing here yet either. Maybe the little bucks a little bit, but the doe I killed wasn’t close to coming in and the bucks I’ve wounded have all been browsing on acorns and kind of just checking new places out it seems. Rubs and scrapes are picking up, I’d say the end of this week it’ll get a little hotter

8. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here.. they're still hanging out in bachelor groups for the most part. I did spot 2 new scrapes that weren't there a week ago though.

9. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Being the model Indiana University company man I am, went ahead and took off Friday and Monday to hunt.

Shawn Clark likes this.
  10. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like they are finally moving here. Got a ice 8 that was under my stand 2 weeks ago in oow light but didnt give me a shot, got him moving in daylight now. Heading out tonight and tomorrow I think.

Shawn Clark likes this.
  11. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't seen any chasing. Small bucks are responding to my bleats and grunts, no big boys responding yet. My son said he saw a 2 or 3 year old 8 and a younger 8 nudging a doe, but nothing serious yet. Should be pretty good between now and the middle of the month. I'll be out most everyday between now and the 13th except tomorrow.

12. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I would say a 2 1/2 year old at most. Looks like good potential though.

13. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck !

14. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Creepy! Are you going to try scoring that rack, maybe it will go over 50. I don't know pics are always tough to judge.

15. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking 3.5 or maybe.........4.5, I got pictures of him from last year and questioned if he was 2 or 3 then. He is just one of those bucks who is small bodied and has a thin framed rack. Doubt he will ever be much but you never know.

Dave

16. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Continuing to go thru the second camera I pulled today, this guy is interesting.
    far back swamp 11 03 19.JPG

17. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been absent lately, got out a couple times on public in ND with no luck. Headed back out west with a rifle next week.

18. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Not too bad, he looks pretty hefty too. On that other one I know deer up here in Ohio are bigger so my judging may be a little off, lol.

19. Creepy21

Creepy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I just got him back from my guy. I’m gonna measure him up tonight. I’d be surprised if he hits 50. IMG_2549.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Shawn Clark likes this.
  20. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    I was stationed in North Dakota way back in the day, those deer up there have huge bodies. First time I saw a good buck from stand I had to look twice.......huge. I guess the theory is the larger the body the better they tolerate and survive the cold winters.

The bucks in my area really do not have big bodies and on this property there seems to be a bloodline that has smaller body types with thin racks. I was actually surprised he is still around, generally bucks like the second picture run them off right after the bachelor groups break up. We shall see what happens, if he walks by it will be an in game decision..............he may get a pass or a pass thru)))

Dave