Turkeys n deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bucksnbears, Oct 31, 2019.

1. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Need advice here from those that hunt where turkeys and deer cohabitate.
    Got a new super- supreme spot to hunt but have been covered up in turkeys right at prime time.
    First sit I thought it was neat to see them, second sit I was kinda ( meh), tonight sucked balls!! 45 minutes before dark, a mob of 40- 50 came through the woods and camped out below me searching acorns.
    Made alot of noise and then flew up into the trees surrounding me.
    I left early thinging no deer is gonna come near with the racket they were making.

Never been around turkeys much.
    Do deer get boogered by them?

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Start killing turkey! Have turkeys where I hunt but not 40-50. I have 10-15 commonly and the deer don’t mind them. Maybe hunt where the turkey aren’t bc that’s where the deer are. Good luck.

3. Tom WI

Tom WI Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt around turkeys ALL the time. if they are common around your area the deer dont pay them any mind. In fact, believe it or not, the deer seem to like to be around the turkeys. turkeys have such a keen sense of sight and hearing, that the deer feel the turkeys will be their "guards". this is not only my observation, but I have heard others say it too. if your really worried about it, you could always shoot a couple of em, or scare them off and hope you dont scare deer in the process.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same issue, and when the turkeys are doing their turkey drama the deer want no part of it and stay off the plot. I dislike those ugly birds.

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see the same thing on my place. Deer don't mind them a bit and often I'll see them feeding along with them, but I see this more in the spring time when I'm hunting turkeys than I do in the fall. In fact, I don't know if I've ever seen them together in the fall.
    I would be worried about the turkeys picking you off and then putt'ing and alerting all the deer that might be near by. Not sure what you can do though other than find a bit different spot. In the fall a hunting tactic for turkeys is to find a flock of them and then scatter them, a lot of people do this with dogs, then they put the dogs away and sit at that spot and call. The turkeys will call to each other and re-gather at the spot they were spooked about an hour later. So I'm not sure that it would help you much even if you could run them off and not scare any deer in the process.

6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It wasn't the noise so much on the ground it was the noise they made launching up into the trees that was bad.
    This is back in fairly thick cover.
    I might try spooking them next time?
    Thanks .

7. Tom WI

Tom WI Newb

Dislikes Received:
    true, i dont really seem em together in the fall either. just the spring. and i see your point about scaring em not working.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would invite anybody over that wanted to turkey hunt but the damn things are only around my place in the fall.

9. Tom WI

Tom WI Newb

Dislikes Received:
    fall turkey hunting really interferes with deer season. so i usually dont even hunt it. deer hunting is top priority

Mod-it likes this.
  10. Tom WI

Tom WI Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i love spring hunting tho

Mod-it likes this.
  11. fred_Bump

fred_Bump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve never noticed deer or turkey having an effect on one another in my area. I have observed them sharing the same area, however I have noticed they like to keep to themselves in their own groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk