Anyone know why it's not considered?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have wondered why the wolf is not considered a big game animal. It would seem if the mountain lion is then a wolf would be.. People hunt wolves so they are legal to take.. they are much bigger than yotes and can pose a real problem for elk/deer. Anyone know the answer..I can't find anything on it.

INbowhunter likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not a lot of states allow hunting or trapping of wolves because the F&W service does not allow, calling them a protected species.

3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, well I guess in some states they are problem for livestock? I would think mt lions would be protected.. Do you have wolves in your area?

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I live just south of where most of the wolves are in Minnesota but they have been hit by cars on the HWY south of me.

5. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hear they've got their own basketball team!

Vabowman likes this.
  6. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some of them are endangered from overhunting. Mostly due to them picking off livestock.

I have some wolves locally but not very many and you will do major prison time for killing one without it immediately endangering your life.

wack jobs liberals want them to span the entire state eventually. That’ll work out well...

mountain lion hunting in New Mexico is pretty good though!

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I believe you can hunt them in Canada and Alaska right? Sota, can you not hunt them in MN?

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They opened a season for them 1 year I believe then the tree hugging dirt worshipers sued to stop hunting and trapping

9. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    LOL! I remember a few years ago there was an article written by PETA or some other group and they were "mad" and they used that word... at wolves for killing and eating other animals...I **** you not.. I wish I could find it again..

10. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They are hunted in Idaho. You buy a tag for them just like a deer or elk and they basically are considered "big game" by the IFGD.
    We have what's called a Sportsman's package that can be purchased, it comes with hunting/fishing license, deer, elk, turkey, bear, cougar, and wolf tag, steelhead and salmon cards, archery stamp and muzzleloader stamp. A two pole permit and/or migratory bird can be added too but aren't included in the normal price. The only things I don't actively hunt for are cougar and wolf, but it is still a bit less expensive for me to buy the package than to buy all the other stuff separately. The cougar and wolf tag are basically a bonus, so I can take one if I get the chance. In all of my years hunting and camping, driving somewhere at night, etc., I've still never laid eyes on a cougar. Heard one scream once when spring turkey hunting but that's it. Still haven't seen a wolf either, although I've heard them howl while elk hunting and have seen plenty of tracks.
    This year for the first time I actually got a couple of game camera pics of two different wolves on my property where I deer hunt. One was in April when one checked out my bear bait in the middle of the night, it was a pretty good sized one, and one other much smaller/younger one at my tractor tire spring a couple of months later. I keep hoping that while sitting in the stand for whitetail I'll get lucky and have one come through.

11. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    that's awesome man... so I reckon we won't see them added to the big game super slam anytime soon..

NMGuy likes this.
  12. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Probably won’t see wolf hunting ever Become mainstream.

Mostly because the tree hugger folks who never leave the metro area and spend about 15 minutes a year in actual nature associate them with dogs. Those things we all have as pets.

Wolves, Coyotes, foxes, and Dogs all know they’re not the same species. Hence why they don’t often get along. Just handle a few coyotes, wolves, or foxes and come home to your dogs. Your dogs will often freak out. Not because you’ve handled another dog, but because they can tell it’s not a dog. A wolf is no more a dog than a cougar, lion or a tiger are a tabby cat.

I do wish we had some more wolves, as they do help stabilize the environment. They kill off coyotes, balance other predators, and would be fun to hunt.

Vabowman likes this.
  13. fred_Bump

fred_Bump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only wolf I’ve ever saw was in a zoo, and it didn’t look like mans best friend. It looked hungry! I don’t think I’d want wolves in KY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NMGuy likes this.
  14. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wolves can be shot like coyotes in Wyoming outside of the Yellowstone ecosystem. Mountain lions can be taken like coyotes in Texas. No season, no limit.

15. stringandstickman

stringandstickman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like my chances with the coyotes. Wolfs are detrimental to the landscape. Look at the rapid decline of the elk population in yellow stone for example. The havoc they wreak on deer, deer fawns, elk, elk calves and not to mention domestic live stock is mind bottling.Wolves are in my opinion not good for anything. Again just my opinion not trying to start a firestorm here.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    that's crazy

17. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    NOT true! They will get rid of your elk and deer though. Trust me you don't want them. Can buy as many tags as you need here in Idaho. No closed season on private property where I live.

18. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    well aren't buffalo protected in many places? yet they are on the slam list..