Unpopular Opinion?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by INbowhunter, Oct 28, 2019.

1. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    An unpopular opinion of mine is that my state should have never legalised the use of crossbows during archery season to the general public. I understand the use of them for elderly, crippled, those unable to use a compound or recurve, but I believe it's gotten out of hand around here. Basically every Yahoo that came out during shotgun season and blasted anything that moved, now has a crossbow that they think they can shoot deer at 100yds and running through a field. *Witnessed that*
    The whole reason I really got into bowhunting deer in my area was because not many bowhunted and was essentially safer to be out and about. Seems every single deer killed in our area this year has been shot by a crossbow and most of them have never shot a bow in their life.

2. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crying doesn't change it. Vote and write letters. That might work.

BTW I'm one of them yahoo cripples at the age I don't feel confident with a bow anymore...

So I need to stop hunting?

No way! It's my way of life...

3. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    INbowhunter likes this.
  4. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you read that all wrong there guy. I dont have a problem with anyone who cant physically use normal archery equipment that uses a crossbow. By all means use what allows you to get out and hunt! The problem I have is with the guys that would never use a bow to hunt with prior, and now that they can basically use one like a gun with a scope and all, go out and bring crazy and unethical hunting back into archery season.

5. Crazyhunter

Crazyhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My opinion is that we need all the hunters we can get. I hunt with every legal weapon including a crossbow. I also still shoot a compound and hunt with it on occasion. I do believe that a lot of people get a crossbow and think they have a gun in their hands. They need to practice and see what their limits are. I also know people that think they can shoot a deer if they can see it with a rifle. Rarely does that work like they think. Non hunters are trying to take our rights away just as fast as they can and we need all the help we can get. Anything that brings new hunters is a welcome change in my opinion.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

oldnotdead and jrk_indle84 like this.
  6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    fred meme.jpg

Seriously though, I haven't experienced the issues you have, so of course, my opinion differs. I'm sure I might feel differently if the state land that I hunt was flooded with crossbow users treating archery season like ****gun season.

7. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The reason that I felt the need to post this is a younger kid across the way who is known for making very unethical shots during rifle season, bought a crossbow this year. We were walking out of the woods the other night and pushed a little 4 point out of the field and towards him. We watched him stand up and loose a bolt at this 4 pt running probably 60-70yds away from him. We went and had a nice talk with him about taking ethical shots.

JGD likes this.
  8. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not crying about it, just aggravating to an extent that it enabled some guys that are scary enough to hunt around for 2 weeks of the season, to now all the way from October to January.

9. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think crossbows should be limited to gun season. I also think inline muzzleloaders with scopes should be treated like regular rifles.

10. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, a gun is easier than a Xbow, a Xbow is easier than a compound and a compound is easier than a longbow/recurve / self bow. There are a ton of people around here that hunt with a xbow..most say, my shoulder can't do the compound so I switched.. those same guys can also use a climber stand and drag deer out that hey kill with their crossbow. they can hang and skin the deer as well. I never understood the shoulder issue at that point. With all that said, there are people that truly do suffer from injury and have to use them. Most of the people I know, use them out of convenience and for ease of use... I shoot a recurve a lot, hunted an entire season with one, even sold my compound, but it was just too hard for me and I wasn't willing to give up killing deer and enjoying the hunt because of my chosen weapon.. Im man enough to admit it. Game depts need to sell licenses at a high rate so they opened up the xbow to all. It doesn't affect me. However, I will say that it is a separate category of bowhunting when we use the call in tag system..recording asks if it was a xbow or bow kill, at least I think it's still that way. either way, there is a hierarchy of hunting methods that propel arrows, mine is the most common, the compound. So I would say, compounds are in the middle of the 3. my 2 cents

INbowhunter likes this.
  11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had this"fight" countless times on here. I share your opinion and settlement precisely but...... And it took allot to get to this but.... Even a Hunter that uses a crossbow is wayyyyy better than a gender confused dipshit that sits around calling Trump a loser from his mom's basement.

Don't quote me but I think it's less than 7% of ppl hunt.
    I'm with you in spirit brother but we need the numbers.

Kfili, Vabowman and INbowhunter like this.
  12. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very well put! I agree that the compound bow is not near as difficult to shoot as a recurve and have much respect for anyone who takes an animal with a recurve.

13. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey man I am all for new hunters and getting anyone into hunting. I agree we are a dying breed and have to retain our numbers. The bad that comes with that is there are some that probably should stop hunting before they kill someone else or do something they regret. We also have a large community of Amish in our area and they are the most illegal and unethical hunters I've ever encountered. What we really need are more conservation officers but I understand there is a nationwide shortage.

14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been hunting around crossbow hunters a long time. 0 issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree crossbows have zero business in any archery season

Scott/IL and mflora98ss like this.
  16. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say this, I am not sure that it's really archery. its a mix of gun/bow. yes there is an arrow and string and pulleys. but then there is this stock and scope thing.. I don't know. It certainly doesn't take a lot of shooting skill. But then again, modern compounds don't either.. the difference is, not a target block, but a live animal, drawing a bow be it a compound or trad bow is the hardest part of the shot and shot placement. the xbow eliminates much of that. I know this, if and when I ever deteriorate I will do everything in my power to hunt with a compound even if its with 40-50 lb draw before I give a xbow the go..

17. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just give me a month to hunt with my xbow.. Say 10/15 to 11/15 an I'd be okay... I don't use my climber or drag deer more than a 100 yards. That's why I have 15 ladder stands and own a UTV. You want anything bad enough you will find a way to. Make it happen. I have been bow hunting since 1978. I have killed deer with recurve and compounds. Up until the last 2 years. Believe me a xbow doesn't make it easier
    They are a pain to use out of a treestand.

Slob hunters exist in every season. That's life!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  18. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly! I'm not knocking guys that use crossbows. I have nothing against you and really happy you can still make it out hunting and enjoying what we all love. I guess it's the ones who probably ruin anything for anyone that I'm more irritated about but that's life. You have those people in every hobby. I guess allowing crossbows during archery for me feels like they enable the guys that are usually unethical lunatics for 2 weeks during rifle season, to be unethical for the whole hunting season. Whether that's taking poor shots, unsafe shots, or bagging more than their tag limit allows. I also believe this online game check-in really allows for more of those guys to flourish.

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  19. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Just a question for my understanding. If you are disabled, you still have to cock the xbow right?how much strength does that take? I truly don't know.. never used one.

20. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check-in is another can of worms..

rknierim and INbowhunter like this.