Bow Recommendations (New to bowhunting)

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by GibsonBanjos, Sep 10, 2019.

1. GibsonBanjos

GibsonBanjos Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just wanted to get a little insight regarding quality brands and solid bows for the price. I want to try my best to stay in the price range of $300-$500 (preferably around the middle) due to college restricting my budget a little. I am new to bow hunting, but have been hunting and enthused in the outdoors my entire life. I mainly am looking for a a simple, yet quality bow for the price. Thanks for the help!

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's that your range for bare bow or out the door and hunting?

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okiebob likes this.
  4. GibsonBanjos

GibsonBanjos Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The budget would be for the bare bow itself. By stand, do you mean a stand for the bow or an actual tree stand? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just want to double check.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stand for tree. You have many options and none are wrong. You can even spot and stalk.
    Where do you plan on hunting and is it private, public, is there state restrictions?
    As for bare bow IMHO I would look on here and buy one. It's very close to season but if you hurry you can still make it. I try to only buy from members that have a bunch of posts. It doesn't guarantee that they are not ****bags but it's less likely as they would get called out.
    If you are resigned to buying new then go to a few bow shops and try as many bows as you can in your price range.

6. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely don't be afraid to buy used. You'll be able to find a decent bow in that price range.

Isaac Paulakonis likes this.
  7. GibsonBanjos

GibsonBanjos Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thankfully, I already have two tree stands up and one blind, and we are fortunate enough to have around 500 acres of our farm land to hunt on.

8. DWitt

DWitt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    With your budget, I would actually recommend buying something used. If you buy new, you are going to likely get a lot less of a bow than if you bought something used. I would even recommend asking if you can buy some of the arrows from the seller so the bow would practically be sighted in for you.

Isaac Paulakonis likes this.
  9. GibsonBanjos

GibsonBanjos Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm just going to go the used route. A buddy of mine is selling a PSE he's only shot a handful of times.

Okiebob likes this.
  10. DWitt

DWitt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, hopefully that bow works out for you.

11. leastbay

leastbay Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Diamond infinite edge sb1

12. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would definently go used. If you do your research, you can come out with a quality brand bow. It may not be a fairly new on the market(2-4yrs old), but it may have other accessories that will save you some $$ on the other end. About 4 years ago I bought a Hoyt Razortec for $100. It had some accessories(sight, whisker biscuit, quiver & hard case). Those accessories itself was more than what I paid for the bow. Good luck!

13. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    eBay has great deals on some used bows. Some of the better quality brands are Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech, Elite, Bear to name a few. I know PSE has some high quality affordable bows on the market. The Hoyt Rampage XT, Hoyt Charger, Bowtech Assassin, PSE Brute are all some good priced range bows that come to mind. I would try to buy one RTS rather than adding accessories later on.

14. Aces&8

Aces&8 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If it was me....I would buy a used Mathews, probably a switchback. It will hold it's resale value, it's one of the best bows ever made and if something ever happens to it, you can always get parts for it.

Tom WI likes this.
  15. Tom WI

Tom WI Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Matthews bows are good ones. I have a 2016 Matthews Mission that has served me well for 2 years now. It only cost me 100$ @ a bow shop. the mission series of matthews bows are good quality and make a good beginners bow due to there wide range of draw lengths and wieght. My advice would be to go to a good bow shop and have them set you up with a bow. They will help you pick out a bow, and then they will fit it to you. I am assuming you will need arrows also. I would recommend the Easton Axis arrows. These are some of the best on the market. Match them up with some Rage expandable broad heads and your good to go. Again, a good bow shop will set you up with the right arrows for your bow. Hoyt is another good brand of bows, but Ive never owned one personally, so I cant tell you much about them.

16. Tom WI

Tom WI Newb

Dislikes Received:
    BTW, my bow was used when I bought it in 2018, nice thing was, it had a quality wisker bisket, sight and stabalizer all set up on it.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would also check the local bow shop for used bows as well. I know when I first started shooting a bow the local bow shop owner helped me a great deal.

Okiebob likes this.
  18. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah ppl were nicer when Reagan was in office

19. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a a couple z28s on AT that are in your price range, you be hard pressed to find better bow for a new bowhunter

Trenton Loewen likes this.
  20. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What sota said. I would also recommend buying used from an archery shop. Hopefully, they will have a place to try it out. FWIW, my wife has a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro- adjustable from 7-70 lb. draw weight, adjustable draw length. After she learned what the peep sight was for, she shot tight groups!