Team 11 Hab en Arrows

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by fletch920, Aug 26, 2019.

1. John adams

John adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So how often do they update the score card thread?

dcaldwell likes this.
  2. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    Cold front definitely coming thru here in NE Tennessee. Colder now than it was this morning. Saw 6 deer including a promising 7 point, and a handful of turkey. So far nothing for this evening but there’s still a little bit of daylight left. Good luck out there!

3. dcaldwell

dcaldwell Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    fletch920, John adams and Mlavigne78 like this.
  4. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
    Not a very big one but that’s 50 points. I feel like a bad parent though. Took my son out for youth weekend... he had a gun and I took a crossbow. Deer came in SUPER early so in order to avoid ending the entire evening with a gunshot we figured it be best if I shot with the crossbow and then we kept hunting... saw only one more deer and never got a shot... oh well... he isn’t upset but I can’t help but feel bad. IMG_0027.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My father-in-law was told on Tuesday that he likely has less than 6 months left on this earth. Saturday was the opener for our early muzzleloader season and I took he and my wife (his daughter) for a sit on a clover plot. He shot the best buck of his life. He started hunting with me at 70 years old and is now 76, but has been obsessed with whitetails and acts like a kid with excitement in his short hunting career. Walking up to that deer was probably the single most emotional time I have ever shared in the woods. It was a huge thrill and humbling experience to say the least. Plenty of tears shed. A good friend does all my taxidermy and I took him the cape yesterday and explained the situation. The hide is already in the tanning process and the mount should be hanging on the cabin wall in a matter of a few short weeks. My father-in-law has always wanted a good buck to hang in his cabin and my hope is that he will be with us long enough to admire his trophy and fulfill his dream. Enjoy each hunt and live for the day folks.
    20191012_183337.jpg

6. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    What a story.. and what a buck! Thanks for sharing! Glad you got to experience this with your wife and father-in-law. That’s definitely one of those priceless moments/memories.

fletch920 likes this.
  7. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I've been absent guys. I usually grumble about folks going radio silent after teams are picked.
    I just spent 10 days traipsing around idaho looking for a mule deer buck with no luck. Saw bull moose and elk and plenty of does though. Absolutely the most rugged amazing beautiful country I've ever been in!

Also found out that I got promoted from wildlife tech to bio, and I am taking on a completely new WMA so I'm going to hve my work cut out for me. I sure hope to contribute more but life is going to be busy going forward.

I'll be getting out with my longbow whenever possible so who knows.

Congrats to those of you getting out and being successful, especially those taking family members out!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

fletch920 likes this.
  8. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an amazing trip. I hunted elk in Idaho several years ago. It's definitely a beautiful corner of the world. Good luck with your new career opportunity.

9. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks fletch. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and this weekend. Gonna be struggling with the longbow and mostly ground hunting, but I'm excited to get out while I can.
    Good luck out there folks

10. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Out with the bow today. Unhunted piece of public last year seems to be the go to place this year.

11. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to him! One hell of a story right there, life is to short, enjoy the rest of the with him.

fletch920 likes this.
  12. Mbcoyote

Mbcoyote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, the look on his face, looking like a kid at christmas coupled with the story had me tearing up! I find it amazing how hunting can be so deep and emotional in a way only other hunters can understand. Way to go, Cap, way to go. Using your resources, knowledge and time to make someones dream come true:clap:

fletch920 and Mlavigne78 like this.
  13. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the kind words. It was the single biggest thrill I have ever had in 40 years of hunting. Who knew that deer hunting could make grown men cry like children? :bigcry: I called him last night to see how yesterday's chemo treatment went and he is already asking how long before the taxidermist is done. LOL. So, he still acts like a kid too when it comes to the hunt. It must be a curse and a blessing to know that your final days are near. I just can't imagine....

14. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I'm starting to get some mature buck pictures on scrapes. Still hitting them at night, but it is only a very few days from getting good. I will probably get out to sit very soon. I was in hopes of getting my father-in-law out with his crossbow, but at this point his chemo-therapy is making him too sick to get out. I did get my wife out a handful of times with a muzzleloader for the early season with no shots fired. It was her first season to ever hunt and I am pretty sure that I have created a monster. lol. She was texting me every day wondering if we could go out. She got to see a ton of deer and watch them for hours on end and loved every second of it. She just seemed to think that her first deer needed to look like one of the bucks I have on the wall. :evilgrin:

15. bushnlo

bushnlo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ED853044-4738-4E88-81BB-84ACAFC83695.jpeg 5760A01B-78FE-4BDB-B5D6-3CC993D0B52F.jpeg C6CFED45-5FCF-4CD6-B482-6D2E741D26EA.jpeg E85A8725-3519-4DF4-9B6E-B6C9BF103FC6.jpeg I got a big public land Njh 10pt!!!!

16. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yaahhh!!! What a great buck man! That left brow tine is awesome. The shot looks great also. Congrats.
    We are going to put up a serious run for first place if we keep stacking up the deer. I am anxious to get started hunting in the next few days.

bushnlo likes this.
  17. John adams

Dislikes Received:
  18. Mbcoyote

Mbcoyote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  19. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
  20. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys sorry I have been MIA for last 6 weeks! Jeez times goes quick! Fletch! Prayers for your family during this time! So glad you got to enjoy that hunt together! Update on my life. Bear hunt was a blast. Logged 60 hrs on stand in a week. Awesome, nearly killed the giant, 10yd in brush only had my bow! Crazy of me! Surgery went well, shoulder should be fixed. In a sling till late novemeber. But I am able to drive, track deer with my dog and shoot crossbow. What more could a guy ask for! Lol tobight is my first set of the year. Have a stud michigan buck on cam. Hoping he slips up! Sarge and I have recorvered some beautiful deer foe fellow hunters this fall so far. My kids both shot bucks to boot! Been a great fall! Hoping to add some team points. Most likely wont shoot a doe till dec. It would be aweful hard to gut ans drag one out of swamp in a sling! Good luck hunting guys! Been getting calls foe the dog like cazy last few days! Tomorrow its gonna breakloose!

Attached Files:

NebBowhunter likes this.