Boonerville’s 2019-2020 Semi Live Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by boonerville, Jan 28, 2019.

1. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dug up a few of my favorite pics of Walker from last year and a few more from this summer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That could also be argued at any scale...so where is the line and who has any place to determine that line for others? Many of these guys people argue are greedy, just get out there and make it happen with landowners whereas others sit around and ***** and moan about how hard it is to acquire rights to land. I find it hard to blame someone for taking as much land as they can get to manage and hunt on as long as there are landowners who give it and lazy do nothings that missed out on it because they lack the balls and gusto to work for it. That's kind of like someone complaining about one guy buying too much land...if he has the money and the will to talk people into selling it to him then that's too bad I guess. If he can get it bought then anyone else with the money and gumption could have as well.

Okiebob, T-Rob and boonerville like this.
  3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Funny how Fletch seems to be fixated on him?
    No post's lately on food plots.
    Non about habitat improvements
    Water cooler me' mes, and bashing Booneville.
    Classy guy:confused:

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That works great, until you have a guy working as a school custodian or driving a road maintainer while raising a family and can no longer take his kid hunting because someone has leased up all the ground he used to hunt on. I have been blessed to own some of the best whitetail property in the world. Not everyone has that opportunity and it is becoming less and less attainable for the average guy to take his kid out to the woods because of the commercializtion and profiteering. Not to be too harsh, but honestly, Booners sponsors would not be pumping his buck as a 180's if scores did not generate sales. He would not be plastering it on social media if it did not bring him benefit financially. I just hate that aspect of what once was a hobby to enjoy on countless acres of private land with open gates and now is a lifetstyle of the "rich and famous."

Side note, I have hammered on Booner because he represents everything I detest about what I have witnessed over the last 40 years in the whitetail world. He is nothing more than a product of his environment and knows nothing different than what he has been exposed to. He is following a passion that at times has made him do things that I dont care to see. He feels pressure to produce big bucks and works feverishly to fulfill his dream of being "somebody" in the "industry" that hunting has become. I understand that, I really do. I don't have to like it, but I do respect the effort and passion. I just wish we could go back to the days when everyone hunted side by side and did not care how big the antlers were and did not make hunting a profession. Access was as simple as a knock on the door and there was no money to be made in the woods. So Booner, I want to commend you on an outstanding, mature buck that was killed in a most amazingly patient and woodsman-wise way. Please just accept your buck for the awesome trophy it is and dont get too sucked into the promotion bs that goes with killing deer for profit rather than passion. And, go find that damn tine! I have found single tines twice in my life while shed hunting. Lord knows you have the time and ambition to make it happen. Congratulations.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  5. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Talk about fixated. lol

I had no idea you had access to a thesaurus. Is there a schoolteacher in your family?

As much as I pester Booner, I respect him a thousand times more than you. So, bite me.

Whackemnstackem likes this.
  6. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Classy:clap:

Why is it you detest me?

Oh and thanks for the " dislike":dan:
    You have minions that are gonna " like that"?
    Come on man, this is a hunting site. Surley you can share some knowledge you've gained to help others?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You and I are looking at the same guy through different lenses. I see a guy with a passion for hunting, management and big deer that is trying to make ends meet so he can do what he loves. It seems you see a greedy POS that represents wealth and privilege and ruination of easy access to good hunting land. I feel like your lens is cracked....maybe mine is too rose colored. IDK.

To me the scenario you posed feels like much more of a hardship created by greedy landowners than greedy bastards doing the renting. There were people renting hunting rights here long before we had notable inches of antler running around. At that time renters were buying leases because they just loved to hunt where a cash lease gave them control of the situation vs a permission situation where they had to share with anyone the landowner gave co-permissions to. In any case deer hunting has become a commodity. Landowners are less likely to grant free permissions for something that has cash value. I'm unsure if those that hate that reality should blame the landowners or those that can afford the leases. To me either sounds like folly...it just is what it is, I don't see any reason to obsess over it.

boonerville likes this.
  8. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Your overwhelming number of stupid remarks for one. And, your mother dresses you funny. Other than that, I think its just the fact that you think you know it all and continue to prove otherwise. So, bite me.

9. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Good points and I like that you are classy enough to agree to disagree. I wont ask you to bite me, because I'm afraid that you might. You and I have always had a good recourse. In Iowa, leasing was never a thing until very recently. Honestly, it has mostly been nonresidents moving in and leasing up ground because that is what they were used to in their home state. It has displaced a lot of casual hunters that have no other option than to fight the hordes on public ground. I hate that for them. Our landowners have never been greedy about hunting rights. The commodity part is what I hate. But, everything has moved in that direction. So, old guys like me will just have to sit on the porch and yell at the young kids to get off our lawn. So be it

CoveyMaster likes this.
  10. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Bite me?
    You a valley girl?
    80's child?
    Naw, been dressing myself for years. No help from Mom.
    Prove otherwise? Hmm?
    Need a backhoe?

11. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like the mood needs to be lighter. I found a slammer 2 year old on a card pull today. Im calling him Pelosi...He’s all left

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    You are consistent. I'll give you that.

Reminds me of the Simpson's episode where Bart keeps sticking a fork in an outlet. Apparently it was not well grounded, much like you.

13. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy buck and love the name!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

TheHardWoods913 and boonerville like this.
  14. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted again yesterday evening. Super windy so I elected to sit in a blind. Only saw one 2 year old buck

[​IMG]

15. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Tonight I’m filming a good friend who drew a nonresident tag. In a staging area at the edge of a huge block of timber, where a pond dam and an old logging road funnel the deer as they go out to feed. There’s a big one in here!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. buggs

buggs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great job stalking! Congrats! There would be crap in my pants if I ever saw a dandy like that!

17. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha ok. Are you on Facebook? If so, it's on a million deer hunting pages because it's a great buck and story. Wish I had the time and energy to stalk someone or something though I guess.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

18. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like I can tell this story now. In 2016 I got permission on a new farm, and the guy who lived on the farm (non hunter) told me right away there was a “huge buck with tines hanging down” that he would see by the road when he would go jogging. I only half belived him, as the guy doesn’t hunt or know deer. I started hunting the farm and saw several really good bucks, but no buck with “tines hanging down.” Then during shotgun season, when I couldn’t bow hunt. I was walking from the road to check a camera, and I saw him...80 yards ahead of me down the fencerow, tending a doe. He was a massive 10 point with 4 big drop tines! I watched him for a couple minutes and determined this buck was over 200”. The doe eventually spotted me and they bounded off into the woods. That was the only sighting I had of him that year, and I was puzzled that with as many cameras as I run, I had never gotten a picture of him. I talked to the guy living on the farm some more and found out he had been seeing this buck for 4 years, and he had been that big every year. Best I could figure that would make the buck at least 7 years old. I also discovered the only place he had ever been seen on the property was near the road. I had all my cameras deep in the interior of the farm, in the “good stuff” but never saw him once. After studying maps, I determined this deer was most likely living on the neighbors land (which is all cover and no food) and was crossing the road onto me and walking the fencerow to feed in the crops. So in 2017 I started making some adjustments to try to find this deer. I placed a few cameras and minerals closer to the road. Almost immediately, he showed up on camera! He had 3 drops that year, but a massive thick frame indicative of an old buck, I estimated he was 8 that year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After I started getting him on mineral, i put a camera on the beans he was coming across the road to feed in, literally right off the road. I was completely shocked that he was crossing the road in daylight to feed in the beans!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hunted this deer right by the road every time the wind permitted in 2017, and all through bow season, I never saw him once. Then came shotgun season, when I can’t hunt, and just like in 2016, he came back! First he shows up on the fencerow camera
    [​IMG]
    Then, in the middle of the afternoon, he shows up on a camera 1/2 mile away clear in the middle of the farm cruising for does!
    [​IMG]

2 years in a row he did the exact same thing, the 2nd rut brought him across the road for a few days. No sign of him again until January 6th, 2018, when he showed up at a feed station and he had already shed his antlers.
    I immediately went and looked and was completely shocked to find one side about 100 yards from the feed station.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The shed was over 80” even with the brow tine completely gone. Which would have made his right side 86-87”, so he was about a 190” deer in 2017.
    So in 2018 I put out even more cameras, and in late June, he showed up in the middle of the farm, near where I had daylight pictures of him during shotgun season. He had 5 drops now, and was 9 years old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was also picking him up on the same fencerow near the road as in previous years
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I moved a camera right next to the road again, and confirmed he was still using the same path to cross the road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I felt like I had a really good chance of getting on this deer late season if he was going to do the same thing. But unfortunately that picture in 7/25/18 is where the story abruptly ended. I never got another picture of him after that. I monitored my cameras religiously all year, and he did not return. I think chances are 50/50 he was killed vs died in the winter. This winter was extremely harsh and while shed hunting this spring I came across a dead shed buck with gigantic pedicles. I have a feeling it was him. Either way, no pictures of him in 15 months, so I figure it’s time to move on to another deer. So here is the deer I called Triple X.

MnHunterr likes this.
  19. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    What a buck.

boonerville likes this.
  20. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is this the buck you didn’t show pics of last year on our “revenge of the fifth” team?

boonerville likes this.