Team 2 - The Double Deuces

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by alenhard15, Aug 26, 2019.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i feel your pain my friend, ive seen 1 deer in 6 sits this year... and i gut shot that deer....

CMTRAV likes this.
  2. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    bowhuntingbebout likes this.
  4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can’t wait for Saturday! I don’t know much, but I know this is usually a good thing.
    FBB76C5D-BC2C-4102-873C-CD83986FBB96.png

Western MA Hunter and alenhard15 like this.
  5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Looks good to me!
    I hope to get out Sunday afternoon and Monday here... we'll see what the camera says
    MA still doesn't open until 10/21.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Massive temp drop today after this front blew through. When I left for the gym at 5 am it was 65 degrees. It's currently 50 and falling down to low 30's tonight.

My son has today off school and I've been promising to get him out, so we're going to give it a whirl this afternoon. I've got a doe coming into one of my food plots almost every day between 6:00 and 6:30 and a double ladder stand set up about 18 yards away. I'm going to bundle his little butt up, stick him in that stand with me and tell him to shut his mouth and hold still. It will be a miracle if we pull it off, but it can't hurt to try! Temps are going to be low 40's with a pretty stiff wind by then. This should be interesting. :lol:

7. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck Justin sounds like an awesome evening to be out! Keep us posted!

CMTRAV likes this.
  8. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I think I'll break the seal this Saturday and go out in the afternoon. Supposed to be windy which I'm not too fond of but with these temps the itch needs to be scratched! Good Luck guys!

CMTRAV likes this.
  9. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    All set up on the major trail I gut shot the buck on last weekend, let’s see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

CMTRAV likes this.
  10. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Out as well, hoping my big one comes out again. Have a nice 2 year old 8pt inside his ears about 79 yards, he’s just standing there.

alenhard15 likes this.
  11. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys....I told you I was gonna break the seal. Gotta get to sleep though. Tailgating at Arrowhead starts at 7. Sorry... story to follow. Good luck! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

12. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great Buck rednas5, Congrats!

13. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
  14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!!!! Can't wait to hear the story.

My Friday night hunt went pretty much as I called it. Had a lone year and a half old doe show up about 6:15 out in the beans and slowly made her way down to our food plot. She was on edge for some reason but finally made it into range in the last few minutes of legal shooting light. Gave me a 12 yard quartering-to shot and with the scoped crossbow it was a piece of cake. Put the arrow right in front of the near shoulder, exited out the ribs on the other side taking out both lungs and the top of the heart. Massive blood trail led to a 60 yard recovery. I didn't get any pics with me and the deer, but got it all on film so I'll post the video once we get it edited and then add it to the score card.

About to head out for an afternoon hunt in a bit. Maybe I'll stumble into a buck somewhere...

15. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
  16. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Loading up for MD, will check back in a few days when I learn to use this new phone better!

Justin and Western MA Hunter like this.
  17. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    congrats

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Turns out I lucked
    Good luck!

I had two nice bucks run under me last night, grunting and snort wheezing like crazy. Unfortunately, I wasn't ready and my bow was still on the ground connected to the bow rope. Doh! The good news is when I reviewed the footage of the 2nd buck that I could have shot, he's a little smaller and younger than I thought at that time. So in retrospect I'm glad I wasn't ready.

The pre-rut is definitely starting to kick in a bit. This cold front has had a lot of bucks up and feeling frisky.

Sliverflicker and alenhard15 like this.
  19. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! Well this weekend was exciting except for that Chiefs performance. JEEZ! Saturday evening, first sit of the year. I'm sitting in a 20 foot ladderstand at a prime pinch point that used to be an old bridge long time ago with a small creek running behind me. Around 5pm a little 1.5 year old buck comes down the trail and tries cross in front of me. Wind isn't good and he knows something is up but sorta mills around and finally goes up the trail and circles downwind. I turn to my right and see my guy walking though the woods acting like a bull moose in rut. His head is down, rocking back and forth, hitting every little sapling around. I pull my binos up and quickly gauge that he's a shooter. He continues to slowly walk, and realize he is going to walk almost directly under my stand...oh great. I pull back when he is behind a tree to my right and of course he walks 5 yards almost straight down from my stand. I lean over my shooting rail on my ladder stand put it behind his shoulder and release and arrow. He jumps and runs 20 yards up the trail and stands there quartering away for close to five minutes just looking away. I pull my binos up and am looking for blood on him and my arrow. He starts coughing a little, which I found strange so I nock another arrow and crouch down in my stand to get a shot at him quartering away. I release and hit him right behind the rib cage. Heart pumping and still not really understanding what happened I wait 1 hour and finally get down and find my first arrow that looks completely clean except for one little spot that might be blood. I find blood and about 50 yards in I bump him from his bed but he wasn't running very well. I listen and hear what I believe was him crashing. I put the binos up and see him trying to stand but falling all over the place. I wait him out and finally watch him pass. Coming up to the buck I notice his throat was cut and realized that my first arrow must've deflected off the underbrush by my stand and slit his throat. I couldn't believe it. Regardless, I was happy with him and couldn't believe my first hunt of the year went the way it did. I'm still feeling the effects today at work from having to drag him through a creek and over, then to the truck...but it was worth it! I haven't put the tape to him yet but will get to it tonight after work. **Edit:Put the tape to him.....149 1/8** Good luck guys! 20191014_104705.jpg 20191014_104733.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, crazy hunt! Congrats - he's a dandy. Team 2 is about to jump up in the standings a bit. :rock: