Team 2 - The Double Deuces

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by alenhard15, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    bowhuntingbebout, that is a whopper anywhere! Not too many that big up here!
    Good luck!
    Today is the only day without rain in the forecast this week, so I will be heading out to NY this afternoon. Wind looks good. Now that the 9 point is gone, any legal buck or big doe gets it tonight.
    MA doesn't open till 21st.

2. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the support guys! Ill be going up again this weekend so i will for sure be looking for buzzards crows and anything else near the property! The neighbor up there was really helpful and tried to help me track, im sure he will let me know if he sees anything! Good luck everyone, ill be out tomorrow evening after work on some public land trying to get a doe!

3. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    40 degree drop from Thursday to Friday here in NW MO. Might try to get out there Saturday evening. Sunday is spent at Arrowhead hopefully watching my Chiefs play better than they did Sunday night.....ugh.....

Western MA Hunter and alenhard15 like this.
  4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm back fellas, my dad come to visit over the week so I put hunting on the shelf for a while. Kind of sucks since it was the first bit of cold and rain we've had, but it was well worth the time spent with him. He is having a pretty serious surgery in a few weeks and he is quite nervous about, there is some over thinking going on, but everything should be fine.
    Back to business: I should be out Friday evening and Saturday morning, next weekend I'll be in Illinois looking for one of those public land Illinois monsters. I'm going to scout/hunt in on a piece I didn't get to scout my last trip up, very thick CRP but I have a few spots in mind to hunt over. The Massac county encampment is the same weekend, so it will be hunt morning, step over there for some elk chili and a bunch of other food and back in the woods for the afternoon. I may even look at a cabin/house that is surronded by Shawnee National Forest for a hunt camp; for $60k it seems like a good deal.
    Alen, I kept up with your track on LFTS, always gut wrenching to loose a deer, it happens, but that doesn't make it any easier.
    My bow: I reset my sight tapes and tried my 300gr arrows again, I must not have been shooting properly because now they are flying/hitting dead nuts on. I was shooting out to 80yards this weekend and dropping them within 4" of each other; in fact, I was shooting better at 70+ yards than I was at closer ranges.
    Other than that, let's get at it! Still plenty of season left.

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Looking like I may be able to sneak out for my 2nd sit of the IL season this afternoon. It's a miracle! It's a little warm, but it's also the last nice day we're going to have for the foreseeable future so I may as well get after it. Temps down to low 30's on Friday night, not getting out of the 40's this weekend and very windy. Going to be busting out the cold weather gear and it's not even mid-October yet! And to think, it was in the 80's only a week ago....

Jonathan Barlar, CMTRAV and rednas5 like this.
  6. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With these drop in temps, it'll be tough not to hit the stand in the morning. I usually transition from evening to morning hunts last few days in October. How about you guys???

7. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rain coming in the next couple days and I can't hunt weekend. I'll sneak out this afternoon for last couple of hours. Barometer going up! let's see.

rednas5 and alenhard15 like this.
  8. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    looks like we will have 3 teammates out this afternoon! Good luck Justin and MA hunter! Hopefully we can put some more points on the board today!

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt whenever I can. Can't kill them when you're sleeping in! Most of my mid-October bucks have been morning kills anyways. From the 15th-20th if you can get in a bedding area on a cool morning, you're in the money.

10. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Well, dang, I may have to try and sneak to the stand as well. Maybe I'l just bring my stool and park under the cedar tree and try for a doe. I wouldn't have time to go to my good spots and climb, but, that cedar tree is a short walk to the feeding ground.

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  11. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    on a doe mission tonight as well! got some good bucks on camera at the farm upstate, but i also have a few nice ones here on public, would have to be a good one to let an arrow fly with the bucks i have on camera up there!

12. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting has been back burnered with work, house projects and emergency’s, and finishing training for my marathon

Getting access to a new property next week which hopefully can get out and hunt by end of the week.

Haven’t had much movement on home property with farmer picking pumpkins and discing the field and adjacent landowner riding quad every night from 6:30-7:15

Sent using Smoke Signals

13. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Image1570655166.980005.jpg all set up here on public land in Pa, a little less than 2 hours till dark

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys. I’ll shoot first doe or buck I see tonight. Forgot my pack with my knife and face mask tonight. Oops Image1570655693.511101.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a very interesting evening Tuesday night. I decided to go behind my house and do a recon sit on the edge of the field as I put in some new winter rye. I spent some quiet time enjoying the afternoon and I watched a doe and two fawns go thru my yard and into the field I'm sitting in the back of, downwind of course. They eat some apples and mess around for a while before they make a bee line towards my stand. Doe gets directly downwind @30yards and gets nervous. She stops giving me a shot which I take. Couple small branches in the way and as she wheels out, she has my arrow balanced across her face! Lighted nock blazing away and I immediately got a sick feeling. Worst shot ever! I envision her starving after weeks of not eating and I want to quit bowhunting. I know where she went so I get down to check for blood, knowing o probably won't find any. She crossed a fresh ground piece and I find a drop of blood. To my surprise, another and another. I go 20 more yards to mark where she went in the woods for later, but the blood increases even more. Holy cow! 10 more yards, dead deer! I can't believe it! Who knew a mechanical to the face could be so deadly. Thank you Lord! Long story short, worst shot I have ever made, thankful it ended so quickly. IMG_20191007_192516003.jpeg IMG_20191009_144236073.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

smctitan and Western MA Hunter like this.
  16. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe pastorbigdan.

pastorbigdan likes this.
  17. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Had a great sit, so much so that I couldn’t get the phone out for the mandatory LFTS picture. Lots of deer, a nice 6 point that looks like he will be real nice in a few years, a big bodied funky rack buck that I probably would have taken if given a chance, and a butt load of doe/yearlings.
    I enjoy packing them in the freezer, but I really enjoy watching them just be deer.
    I’ll be out Friday, might sit in a new spot on the top field though.

18. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    congrats Pastor! Sounds like a good hunt McArthur. I had a doe and fawn come in. For some reason, I just can't bring my self to shoot does with fawns anymore. I must be getting soft in my old age.

pastorbigdan likes this.
  19. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    didnt even see a squirrel yesteday, looking forward to saturday!

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes you just get lucky on those bad shots. Enjoy them when they end quickly! Congrats on the doe!

I hunted last night and didn't see any deer again. I'm 2 for 2 in IL so far. Maybe I'll go back to Kentucky public where there's more deer. :lol:

pastorbigdan and alenhard15 like this.