Sitka Gear

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fox hollow 2, Sep 27, 2019.

1. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know there has been threads before on Sitka gear. I was never much of a fan of the high priced camo. However, my friends and I tried some on, and I must say wow. It is super quiet, and warm. As a bow hunter I am looking for the quietest clothing possible. From what I have seen this is it. I tried on the Fanatic Jacket and Bib set. It will take a serious financial commitment but I think I'm going to do it. Anyone else have experience with this stuff? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

2. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure its warm and nice and quiet, but no way I'm ever paying that much for clothes. Even if I could afford them.

PinkPony likes this.
  3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I own sitka gear, I was always against it bc of the price. I was finally sick of being cold, over layered to keep warm and the crappy quality of a lot of other brands. I tried SEVERAL brands and nothing touches Sitka Gear, hands down best gear I ever owned. I purchased in pieces throughout the years on AT, eBay, different classifieds and when stuff went on sale like at scheels. IMO worth the investment I never been more comfortable with less bulk, warm, dry and quiet and best fitting gear.

4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I finally dropped some money on Sitka gear, it's well worth it. Consider how much you spend over the years trying to find the perfect layers and system and compare that against one time cost. You won't need anything else, you just have to bite the bullet and go all in.

5. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Indiana, late December:

I layered up with a cheap set of poly base layers, Cabela’s polar weight fleece base layers , scent lok full season pants, predator whitetail G2 pants.

On top, cheap poly base layer, Cabela’s polar weight MTP, ****ies wool quarter zip, a hoodie, and the predator white tail G2 jacket.
    Plus hand warmers, foot warmers, and body warmers.

Now I didn’t get THAT cold, like it was manageable, and if the sun was out, I’d be kinda cold, but I couldn’t hardly move. So I was setting there thinking “this is f-ing stupid” I have every stitch of hunting clothes on I own and some of my regular clothes and am still not toasty toasty. I’m not doing this next year, it takes way to long to put all this **** on anyway.”

So this summer I started looking into the cabelas wooltimate stuff, which sounds amazing but it seems like year to year it’s different with sizing and quality. I went to bass pro just to try on some Sitka stuff just to see what the hype was about. Well.....I left still trying to talk myself out of the Sitka stuff. I looked at used fanatic bibs and coats. I watched a couple pairs of USED Cabela’s wooltimate pants on eBay go for around $100 by the time shipping was included. My wife finally just said, “you’re not going to be happy until you get the Sitka stuff.” So, I joined a Sitka buy sell and trade Facebook page trying to find used stuff. I got in contact with a Sitka dealer on there and got stuff cheaper than retail. Very comparable price to cabelas flagship cold weather gear.

6. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did you order from a guy named Clete? If so, that's who I got mine through. Saved me a few bucks and guy was easy to work with.

7. fox hollow 2

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I think just trying it on made the difference to me.

8. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep!

buckeyehntr5 and S.McArthur like this.
  9. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this, you can get really good deals on Sitka if your patient. I use the same FB page and have bought and sold multiple items on there. A few of the dealers prices can't be beat! Also, if you buy online, I would go to a cabelas or bass pro and try on the items you would like to get before buying. Sizes can change depending on the fitment of the products. Ex., I wear a medium in outer layers but a large in the core layers.

10. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've ordered from Clete also. Great to deal with!

_andrewgiles_sio likes this.
  11. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I switched two years ago. Gimmick? maybe. Overpriced? maybe. Would I ever go back? Absolutely not. Stuff is undeniably a luxury.

jrk_indle84 likes this.
  12. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I want to try some on before ordering. Nobody local carries it. Only place around is crappy ****s. I’ll probably have to travel an hour or so to try some on. Sounds like a rainy day trip.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've wanted to get some for reasons mentioned above, layering like crazy and feling like the michelin man. I've also considered just buying a heater body suit or IWOM. Still not sure on which direction I'll go.

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  14. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crappy ****s?! Sounds like an awful store hahaha

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  15. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's way I was and glad I did. Some stuff I'm a size bigger than usual and others I'm same size. If you're gonna drop the money I'd definitely try to get somewhere to try it on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ash d likes this.
  16. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you're going to buy it, I suggest going on the AT classifieds. There is always a ton of it for sale on there. Really, any piece you're looking for can be found there, and usually at deep discounts over buying new.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Suncrest08 likes this.
  17. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s what I did. Saved me a bunch of money and the stuff is as good as new. Really no reason I can think of to go out to cabelas or whatever and get shafted an extra 200$ for the same stuff.

18. fox hollow 2

Dislikes Received:
    I went to a Cabela's and tried it on. Anyone thinking of getting it should definitely do this. Because it is an athletic fit, I have found it tends to run a little small.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  19. stewdawg

stewdawg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In the land between North Delaware and SE PA
    I have owned the Fanatic Bibs and jacket for a few years now. It is worth EVERY PENNY.

20. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few different Sitka systems, but I also just received my new Fanatic system last week to take me further into the season! Like stated above, everyone always justifies not buying it due to the price, but once you do pull the trigger you never look back. You get what you pay for at the end of the day, IMO.