Indiana Hunter looking to take Archery Elk DIY

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by INbowhunter, Sep 26, 2019.

1. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fellow Indiana bowhunter here. It's been a dream of mine to go out to Western Nebraska or Colorado in hopes of harvesting a cow or bull elk by myself. I've done some research this year in those two states as to how the tag drawing system works and I'm still a little confused. Seems like residents have an easier way to apply for permits than non-residents. I also see where OTC permits are sold for a higher price and I am all for paying the larger sum out of pocket for a definite tag. Anybody with experience on drawing out of state tags have any info for me? Anything would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    western states have a pretty confusing hodgepodge of rules, regs, and tag systems. Some states even have a patchwork w/in the same state. Different rules for different zones, etc. It can be a very daunting endeavor for a midwestern hunter used to all OTC all the time with no significant differences within the state.

I can't speak to Nebraska at all; but my understanding of Colorado is that some zones have OTC tags and some do not. Idaho is similar.

I have only ever applied for a draw in KY for elk- which is a true lottery with no points earned year to year; so there's not much to that. You either draw or don't.

I have however done online "OTC" (first come first serve) in Idaho and once I muddled through all the zone regs I settled on a zone and that was pretty much it. Once the application period opened I got online, put in my info, and bought a tag. It arrived in the mail a few weeks later. That simple.

NMGuy likes this.
  3. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I was a kid, I remember folks just going to the local Walmart sporting goods center or a few of the local gun shops and buying a tag and license to hunt deer over the counter...

Now days it’s a lottery you have to put in for... :( frowny face.

They do give out a lot of tags though. My buddy is hunting a unit that they gave out like 800 rifle tags for one hunt week. Told him to wear lots of orange!

Most units in the Gila forest of New Mexico will hold big elk. And you can also throw your hat in for a Gemsbok tag down in the white sands area too.

Lake Roberts and Bill Evans lake both have big bass and you can catch lots of trout in that area too if you tag out early and have some spare time to fish.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    dnoodles likes this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    NM is definitely high on my list for next "out West" trip.

NMGuy likes this.
  5. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kentucky never crossed my mind for elk! That's a heck of alot closer than going west for me lol. Guess I'll have to check into that as well. Thanks for the replies!

6. SticknString14

SticknString14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Colorado has a fairly simple OTC archery either sex elk tag, 660$$ online, Walmart or any sporting good store. The tag is valid in over 75% of the states units. Granted not every valid unit holds high elk numbers, you can find numerous units that have both elk and public land for a DIY hunt. View the Colorado big game brochure online for free or have one sent to your home for more information. No applying for specific units or preference points required.

INbowhunter and NMGuy like this.