Hunters being shady/possessive over deer/pics

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Suncrest08, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe this should be in the rant thread, so I pulled cams today on my farm. I had a buck show up I been after for 4 years (150 class buck). I shared the pic with my groups of hunting buddy’s I grew up with. Instantly there trying to pin point where I got the pic... yet some these friends don’t run cameras, scout and plain out do things half ass. Instead of just asking me there trying to figure it out as if there going to poach my spot. The one said “I know where you got that I just got permission down the road” I just replied “if you would have asked I would yell you right where I got the pic” And a lot of them that do run cams won’t share pics or will lie about where there hunting to “protect” their spot. I would never encroach on my friends land or area where there hunting or targeting a specific deer. Why and when did people become such D bags about deer and act shady hiding where there hunting. I have never not shared pics with friends, it’s part of it. I always thought it was common ground not to step on each other’s toes. Maybe I just need new hunting friends, it’s like we all enjoy hunting but don’t hunt together bc their all worried someone will come kill “their” buck. I scout and hunt hard damn near all year long, it’s just frustrating. It would be nice to be able to share pics, info and help each other kill deer. I let them all hunt any spots I hunt. I just wish people enjoyed hunting for hunting not killing a huge buck at any means necessary. I mean sure I want to kill a huge buck, it would just be nice to share it with a tight hunting group. Have a good season all and HAVE FUN out there!

2. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately times have changed. It seems like its all about shooting big bucks and killing something bigger than your neighbor now.

softedahl16 likes this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    if you had a hot wife, would you be friends with guys who were always asking you about your hot wife?

4. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    My wife is hot! I don’t rank deer anywhere close on a scale of importance near my wife tho. I guess I’m at least lucky that they don’t ask about my wife hahaha. Maybe I’ll put out a personal add, “In search of “REAL Hunter” I just hope Brandon Backwoods see’s it....

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do not share photos, pretty simple.

6. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I could not show photos too, but why hide photos instead of talking about and showing different bucks around. Just sucks now people have to keep all stuff to themselves about big bucks.

softedahl16 likes this.
  7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have gone through this with just about anyone I have hunted with. Big bucks do crazy things to people. I have always shared pics with people that I hunt with, but not anymore. Just a very few people, maybe 3 or 4. And most of them dont hunt the same property that i do. If your only after the biggest buck in the area, hunting is a very lonely sport.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Happy, virginiashadow and Suncrest08 like this.
  8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, so where's the pics bruh?

9. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I’ll post it, then I’ll drop a pin. Will have a witch hunt for the buck.

Lung Buster, Mr.O and ash d like this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am not hiding anything, I just do not share. People get stupid over big antlers.

Sliverflicker and Suncrest08 like this.
  11. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I first noticed this phenom back in the late '80's. They do it so no one horns in on their spots and wrecks their chances of getting a big deer.

12. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I get it , I don’t want people stepping on my toes. But it’s getting outa control! Especially among friends and family.

13. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had and have 1 hunting buddy my entire life. I know about 20 guys who hunt, but none are worthy of trusting in the woods.

Stikman and Suncrest08 like this.
  14. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've met more immoral pricks in the hunting community than I have met anywhere else; I keep away from a lot of other "hunters" for that reason. I've also met a few good ones, but more pricks than anything else.

15. EVO100517

EVO100517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting is slowly becoming less about conservation and providing meat, but more of a bloodsport to kill the biggest animal for bragging rights.
    There are still hunters remaining that believe in the art and skill of hunting, spending time with friends/family, meat on the table and conservation but it's becoming harder to find. Many duck hunters just want to kill ducks but don't want to participate in the crow hunting season because it doesn't do anything for them. However, crows can contribute to almost 50% of the decline in population since they prey on their eggs. You'll notice many people on here won't share information, but you'll also notice so many helpful people willing to give good advice. Some people join just to post on here so they can brag about their huge buck and that's it. But, thats where this sport is heading. I don't know if that will hurt the sport as the increase in young liberals start to take over politics, but I do not think it helps. Similar to how Ravin crossbows are hindering the crossbow hunting world. The Ravin crossbow is simply for bragging rights(I have something better than you do). We have to live with it and see where this takes our hobby/sport/way of life.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  16. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd rather give my social security number to a complete stranger than show some people my trail cam pics.

17. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty serious hahaha

18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We still talking about the deer?

19. BowedUp

BowedUp Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have to deal with this same exact issue with members in my club. I'm all for someone sharing their pics and intel that they gathered through scouting. I'm also all for someone not wanting to share any of that intel.
    What I cannot tolerate is what I'm currently dealing with: Someone who pretended that they would share their pics and intel, only to get you to divulge info when they had no intentions of returning the favor in the first place. After years of sharing pics and intel from the field with certain members and expecting them to return the favor only to get the cold shoulder, I learned my lesson and now keep it between me and the other sharing members. It seems like an easy fix, but at the same time it makes the whole thing awkward and just not as fun. I'm not out there making a business transaction, I'm out there to have fun and decompress and work as a team to continue building our property for future success. Kind of takes the fun out of it when a select few ppl are only interested in leaching off of your hard work and then not sharing a single crumb of theirs.

Cannon06 and Suncrest08 like this.
  20. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Every year I have friends who want to go hunting with me, but don't want to help out in the off-season with scouting, trail cams, clearing brush, etc. They just want an easy, free opportunity to shoot a buck. They don't value the journey, and hard work to earn the deer.