How many arrows per day

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Angie, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Angie

Angie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How many arrows should a newbie shoot per day? I would like to get accurate enough to go out hunting by the end of the season!

2. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m taking it like every other physical activity.

Do as much as you can without over exerting yourself.

You want to be able to lift your arm in the morning and go practice again.

So shoot as much as you can without wearing down your muscles too much. Build them up slowly.

Everybody will be a little different. I’ve found, from my previous occupations with manual labor, I can go quite a while... I have a lot of strength in my arms. Particularly my shoulders, forearms and hands/fingers. Turning wrenches and swinging hammers a lot... as well as lifting heavy objects frequently.

3. Veronic23

Veronic23 Guest

+1
    [​IMG]

4. Angie

Angie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your reply! Currently I’m doing about 20 per session but I think I’m going to up that by taking a break and going back out a few hours later.

5. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First, there is an archer's equivalent to the tennis elbow, i.e. by permanently overstessing joints and tendons. It takes months to develop, and even more months to heal, so don't overdo, especially in draw weight.
    Second, I'm not sure if a few weeks or month of training are enough to place an ethical shot on an animal under realistic (high stress) conditions. Just saying.

6. Angie

Angie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate that! Hunting will depend on skill because I won’t go out unless I know I can get the kill shot. This is where I’m at right now from about 20 ft., so I do have a ways to go.

Attached Files:

7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only you can say if you are ready to go out. Once you are dialed in though I like to shoot only a few arrows. When hunting you normally get 1 shot. So learn to make the first one perfect. Few questions.
    How are your groups?
    How do you feel about shooting?
    Have you shot wearing your camo?

8. Angie

Angie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My groups are decent after the first shot. That’s my problem.
    I feel ok but feel I need to stabilize my bow a little better.
    I have not shot in my gear yet. I plan to do that after I finish shopping ;-)

9. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not doubting that.
    Stress and adrenaline levels rise drastically when you raise the bow at an animal. Let's call it buck fever.
    Perhaps you are not affected at all ... ;-)

When I started shooting compounds, results were quite good after two weeks, and I went up from 45# to 50#.
    After some weeks of shooting, I noticed a terrible left/right inconsistency, caused by a bad and inconsistant bow grip.
    It took me about 2 month to identify and correct that.

But everyone is different. Suggest you take an experienced hunter with you for the first trips.

10. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm. Never thought of it. Never counted arrows but quit when the shoulder, arm, etc., starts to complain. I recall a lady who participated in 3D tournaments and shot about 2 dozen arrows each evening. She was a petite lady and shot 32 lb. draw. FWIW, a NASP participant shoots 100 arrows a day; that's 20 ends per day. Remember he is a high school senior now and the Genesis bow is 20 lb. draw maximum. He consistently shoots over 295 or better out of 300.

Minnesotamulisha likes this.
  11. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    with todays compounds you can be hitting bulls eye at 15-20 yards in just a few hours and thats with little experience.. as far an ethical shot on a live animal? thats a different world.. It really depends on your nerves and instincts and the ability to hold it all together...you won't know until that moment comes... but to answer your question, I shoot about 5-10 arrows each session..but I been shooting a compound for 30 years..now my recurve, that's just fun to shoot anyways and I am still learning after 3 years of shooting it so I may take 25-40 shots..

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More isnt always better. Youd be better off with 5 well executed shots in session then 50 half asssed shots

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Sota likes this.
  13. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect practice makes perfect perfect. I do 12 to 16 shot a day concentrating on form and release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. JFerg3

JFerg3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Once my bow was dialed in, I take about three or four shots at each distance that I have marked off. Assuming those shots are good, I call it a day. I do that about two or three days a week.

15. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There has been "Some" good advice posted. Been into archery since late 60's. Hunting and competition, along with teaching and working in pro-shops. It's not how many shots, it's how many properly executed shots. When I shoot, if I hit good 6 times or so in a row, I'm done. Don't shoot until you are fatigued. Get your bow and you shooting right. If you get confident at 20-25 yards, don't keep practicing from there. Double the distance and get comfortable, it will make those 20-25 yard shots seem a lot easier. If your going to ground blind hunt try shooting sitting down, I even practiced shooting sitting down in tree stand. Shooting from elevated changes everything. Good luck all and stay safe this season.

Sota likes this.
  16. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Practice makes perfect but perfect practice is perfect. I'm getting back into shooting after surgery. My aim, no pun intended, is to group my arrows in the vital areas. I'm an NASP coach. I tell the kids I like to repair arrows as it tells me they are grouping their arrows.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    None yet soon as I get the bow home I will make sure it is dialed in with a half dozen shots. Then one a day that I hunt throw one into the target before I go sit.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you have a good mentor and practice shooting from a stand and with your gear on, with a modern compound you can be good to hunt in a month or less but you would have to be pretty dedicated with an above average mentor.

19. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep shooting as long as it’s comfortable and you’re shooting well. When you start throwing arrows around, it’s time to stop. It’s at that point you start developing bad habits.
    Archery is a game of repetition, do the same thing every time and you’ll hit the same every time.

20. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More is not better, quality is ... it is the first shot I am interested in, esp. when shooting my 3D targets .... this time of year, I will shoot the important first arrow w fixed BH at a 3D target set at an angle to simulate a real critter, then critique that shot ... from there I'll shoot single arrows, pulling each arrow... I usually will shoot a dozen or so then quit ... I'm not going to get any better, and all I want is to maintain strength and form... form/strength is very important to me going into a season .... BTW, I am shooting from elevated positions now ..... during the season, on days I'm not hunting, I'll shoot 6-12 in the house to maintain that form/strength .... for a newbie or even an experienced shooter, if you feel yourself getting tired... STOP !! ... the worse thing anyone can do is force shots when tired... that is where form problems occur