Team 10- The Bow Derelicts

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 26, 2019.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks. From all the bears I tracked with and with dogs I would guess that one is going to be fine at least for the time being.

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back. No more sign.

We've taken bear before with broadheads stuck in the shoulder.
    I'm certain I got 1 lung and that's the part that bothers me most.
    Gonna shoot the bow Abit and see if something changed.

3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finally going through some sd cards and came across these. She had twins earlier and I am thinking she has since lost one. Pie-twins.JPG Pie'19.JPG Pie-twins1.JPG Pie-twins2.JPG

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to hear that, maybe you'll come across her yet.

5. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Just put out three cams near my house. This the best red oak crop I that I can recall ever. The fee white oaks I have around have dropped as well and they are already cleaned up. With all the acorns on the ground its explains why hardly anything been out in fields

Okiebob likes this.
  6. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Same here jim.

7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    @trial153 boy you just love making new friends, huh? LMAO!! That guy is such a tool. But it did get me thinking about feeding/baiting and wanted to address something with the team and hear y'alls thoughts and opinions.

I feed year round. I feed a 16% protein pellet and a switch to corn before the season starts. I wish Oklahoma would ban feeding. I am surrounded by a few housing divisions and a few trailer parks and just about every resident on the edge of said developments have a corn feeder in their backyard. It sucks. Come rut I see bucks I've never seen before due to the fact that I hold a good population of healthy does and some great plots. So I hang cameras on feeder to inventory but I never hunted over a feeder. I know to each his own and truly I'm more after meat than anything but just like every hunter I want to bag a booner.

trial153 likes this.
  8. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Bob. I'm if it it legal and you wanna do it, do it.
    That being said, I'm glad MN doesn't allow baiting for deer.
    I don't think? I would even if it was allowed but never say never.

9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I liked the way Missouri did it before completely banning it. You had to have all feed and feeders done 14 days before the season opener, if memory serves me correct it was gun season they were referring too but if caught it was a hefty fine. Meaning you could feed but not during the season. Of course my dad used to plant corn and leave a swath or two standing and this was deemed acceptable but nonetheless nobody was just sitting over a feeder.

10. Buckeye Bowhunter

Buckeye Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can bait in Ohio but choose not to. I do put some corn in the feeders in January- March. But don’t hunt over them cuz I’m gathered the deer circle way downwind anyway. But I have a couple small plots at my own property as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Well team, I got a strange hankering to shoot a deer which is way to early in the year but...
    My area we can shoot 2 extra does so I went and got all licensed up. Not saying I'm gonna but??.
    2 of the other smaller bear showed up but not the biggie.
    If I can get 50# of bear meat plus a few deer I may go for it.
    I did shoot my bow at 10 yards and it was spot on.
    The other eve' s fiasco is mine to own:(

Okiebob likes this.
  12. Buckeye Bowhunter

Buckeye Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone hunting this weekend? Opening is Saturday so I I think I’ll get a couple hunts in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okiebob likes this.
  13. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I am done with work for the week.
    Taking my wife out to dinner tonight for our anniversary and my pre hunt buttering up....

My dad flys in tomorrow after noon, will pack and get odds and ends done on Thursday. Leave early Friday morning to catch the over night ferry in Nova Scotia, get to Newfoundland Saturday morning and head to deer lake. Jump in an otter and get flown into camp. Dad is moose hunting while I am moose and woodland caribou hunting. I am going to focas on the Caribou first and if I stubble in to a moose great..if not I can co sign my tag to my dad. Hopefully I get to send an arrow towards one.

buttonbuckmaster, Okiebob and MSBK1 like this.
  14. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Season has been in for 2.5 weeks here but today is the first afternoon that I can say that I wish I was in a tree. The High was 83 today but pretty low humidity so it’s pleasant this afternoon.

No real chance now that I’ll hunt till mid October given the forecast showing mid 90s for this weekend and then my mini Vacation with the wife the following weekend. I pulled essentially all of my cameras this weekend so I guess I’ll just dive in blind whenever the weather finally turns. Just like the good old days. I don’t have time to do much else so might as well embrace it right?

trial153 and Okiebob like this.
  15. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did get pics of my old buddy. I’m not much of a threat to him at this point but it’s still nice to be able to keep tabs on him. He lost quite a few inches from last year but still a dream deer for me at 8.5 yrs old.
    DFB408E1-1780-4BA3-A1FF-73AA5B3E04F6.jpeg

16. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oklahoma's opener is October 1st, next Tuesday. The forecasted high is 87°, probably gone sit it out. Friday a cold front pushes through, or so they say, so I will most definitely be in a stand come Saturday morning, Oct. 5th. I will probably go out and glass from a distance for a bit, cameras are great but nothing beats being out there and seeing it firsthand. We have had some good rain and the plots are coming up nice. I am planning on hitting them with a little triple 13 and should be good.

Buckeye Bowhunter and trial153 like this.
  17. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Hey fellas. Let's ( as a team) wait a bit, then come and sucker- punch the chit outta the forerunners in one small period?:biggrin:
    Thanks
    That's a nice buck MSB!
    Good luck on the trip Jimmy. I know being it may be dad's last one, you'll try too make it memorable.
    Bob. Good call. A cool down can do wonders.
    About 10 years ago, I found out a buddy died. I was really bummed out about it and even though it was 90+ out, I decided to go sit in a stand and reflect.
    Damned if a dandy 10 ran into an arrow:biggrin:.

18. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Um, the neighbor just called. Something good has come my way.. hopefully he is on the camera. I treat the north side of my place like a sanctuary, like I rarely even go over on it. This is my neighbor to the north and said he spotted Tenderloin Squirts, a buck I have a couple years worth of history with, walking down the tree line and then bedding down. This is him last year, he has been a spook this year. IMAG1394.JPG

19. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    This years lope is home. I wasnt going to mount it but my son asked me to for his room [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Okiebob likes this.
  20. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like an older buck Bob. Certainly worth an arrow!

Jimmy, when did you get the goat?,
    Looks good on the wood wall.