Team 1 - Team One Shot Wonders

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by beavertronic, Aug 26, 2019.

1. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m still waiting for my season to open. October 1st. Seems so far away!

2. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    D8C8E43D-2DCE-435E-B361-A0A452CCEFDC.jpeg 007F23DE-40BF-4B2B-AA9F-C2191B90AD45.jpeg 50F2D6BF-F66F-435F-9D00-750FCDA431C6.jpeg Here’s a few shots of the food plot I put in. This is after sitting for a week and a half.

3. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do almost all of my hunting on private land but we have a lot of public surrounding us. A couple years ago I bought a lone wolf alpha and 4 sticks but I have never used them. Last year I was going to use the set up for an urban hunt near my home so I tried to package everything together and was just not happy with the set up. The straps I used were awful and made the whole set up feel really heavy. The other day I saw a thread on here and I just ended up ordering the XOP Treestand Transport System which is a slick way of carrying this setup around. I am going to challenge myself to try some public land this year and this should help motivate me.

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hello fellas, checking in from Wyoming. Haven’t been in range of a shooter buck in eight days of hunting. Have seen at least 40 good bucks but one thing or another has prevented me from getting a shot. It’s been hotter than any year I can recall and the bucks are bedding early. I’ve looked through binoculars and a spotting scope for hours each day. Some of the deer we look at Have been over two miles away. Crazy! Mountain mule deer are a challenge! It’s been a great week though. Seeing tons of elk and two of the three guys in camp shot bulls so far. Had six bulls fight in three pairs for over twenty minutes while three other bulls stood and watched. Pretty cool. Have seen too many deer to count in addition to three moose. One was a beast. I still have some time to hunt so not giving up on getting a mule deer.

Cell service is horrible so I haven’t been able to post much and pics take forever to load. I’ll check in later. Good hunting.

5. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should check out saddle hunting, it doesn’t get any lighter!

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man I really love the idea of the saddle but idk how it would work out with the crossbow? I've been wanting to try one to see how it is but I keep talking myself out of it because I'm worried about my limbs smacking the tree. And the price. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    I have a crossbow but haven’t shot it out of my saddle yet. It’s one of those reverse limb ones. I got to try it out this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The reverse limb probably would work better, I believe the limbs don't snap out as far as the conventional limb bows.

9. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I agree. I don’t know about cocking it though. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow and try it.

10. stephenky

stephenky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my son are using hang on and sticks for first time this year lol. I don't think I'm ready to even think about a saddle. This is our first year hunting public land don't really know what I'm doing but hopeful. Been hunting private land for ten years but land around got sold out and are building houses all around. Use homemade box stands and ladder stand until now. Any advice on hang and hunt?

11. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Soooo I'll get back to you in the morning about hang and hunt on public. I have more to say than I have time right now.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

12. stephenky

stephenky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK its seven in morning here lol

13. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Dammit ok. Binge watch the hunting public on youtube for mobile public land tactics. Those dudes are awesome and their techniques are solid and pay off a lot. Scout the public land as much as possible even if it is on Onx or huntstand or google maps looking for areas to key in on. I'm still learning some of the tactics and adding some things to my kit. I have a 40 acre private spot that I have exclusive permission on and mix public land in so I dont burn it up. Love it. I stay as mobile as possible, but saddle hunting is something I haven't gotten into. I'll post more later. I'm too many bourbons along now and feel I've lost steam.

14. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning team (I have no deer or hunting related updates only chemistry and biology updates and I don't think anyone cares) BUT I will be hunting during break. So there you have it. Words just to fill airspace. Nothing new or cool. Just school. I'll still be keeping up with you all every day though. I'm kinda like a cheerleader for now. Dang.

Ridgerunner3 and Bob Thomas like this.
  15. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Talk about whatever buddy. I've been listening to my kid gripe about honors physics for over a week!

Seems like most of us are still waiting for season to open. Did you look in to public land around there or are you just hunting the home state?

Bob Thomas likes this.
  16. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Steve one thing I can tell you is take your time and use a lineman rope while putting your sticks up. I've been doing this treestand stuff for as long as I can remember homemade to store bought. I think it was four years ago I was putting up a 20' stick, when I got to the top I threw the strap around the tree caught, it in my other hand and the strap fell apart. I grabbed the top of the step but it wasn't strapped in so it popped and I went down. I was 62 years old. I landed on my side, I didn't break anything, I was very, very lucky but I was sore for months. That's why I own a crossbow now because I couldn't pull my bow. I lost a whole season of hunting. I'm good to go now with my bow. I'm just telling you this so you will use a safety harness. Stay strapped to the tree from the time your feet leave the ground. This is why I like saddle hunting so much. You are always strapped to the tree.

So I'm not sure what you need to know. If you are going to be mobile (take your stuff in and out of the woods) I like lone wolf climbing sticks and the Millennium 100 treestand. I cut my sticks down to 20" to make them easier to carry. If you are going to leave your stuff in the woods I like Millennium telescoping tree stick. I also like the Millennium 150 tree stand because its bigger. I also use the Summit Viper climbing tree stand, my favorite besides the saddle.

When I'm scouting I like to look for pinch points which are areas deer have to travel. One of my favorites, being from New England is rock wall openings, another is along a river or stream. when I'm scouting I'm always looking at trees. I like trees that grow in groups of three or four, as I climb I kind of climb into the middle of the group if you know what I mean and use the trees for cover. I also look for oaks or other hardwoods with small White Pine growing close to them, I will climb the hardwood to the top of the pine and use the pine for cover (again I hope you know what I mean)

I hope this helps!
    Bob

MN-IN.A.TREE and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  17. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Boys I am dying to get back into the tree, like seriously I'm starting to get tremors from the withdrawal, but the weather this week... not cooperating is an understatement. Mornings aren't too bad but there is no way I'm getting one in after work. Maybe Sunday morning before it gets too hot in the afternoon. [​IMG]

Bob Thomas likes this.
  18. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    I was in a tree this morning. I wanted to shoot my crossbow from my saddle. So I climbed to hunting height cocked and shot my bow. I’ve decided I’m going to do it everyday til hunting season starts. [​IMG]
    It took three shots to fall over and die!

Ridgerunner3 and Zblevins like this.
  19. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! How was it shooting from the saddle?

Bob Thomas likes this.
  20. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    I liked it. Of course I shot from only one direction. Tomorrow I’ll move the target to a different location. Loading was no problem.