Your best arrow recommendation for penetration

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Moose, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Moose

Moose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Brand promoting aside, I thought I would turn to this large community for recommendations on their tried and true arrow recommendations.

I’ve been shooting Carbon Express Piledrivers since I started hunting. Just switched to a Bowtech Carbon Knight from a buddy and I am running lower on arrows than I’d like. So I thought before going with the PileDriver again I would see if there are any potentially better options recommended by real every day outdoorsman like myself.

Bow stats : 65-70# draw (switch a little lower come December {sighted in again}) 28.5” draw.

Thanks ahead of time and I appreciate any feedback received!

-Moose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Black Eagle rampage or
    FMJ.

Moose likes this.
  3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The two most important variables in penetration are arrow weight and Broadhead type. Variations in arrows themselves will have very little if any effect providing the other variables remain the same.

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Eh... True but, I think smaller shaft tends to lead to better pen.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea in theory, practice not so much. Its pretty low down the list of factors that contribute to penetration. Weight, broadhead style and Bow tune all are way more important then arrow diameter

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nope the Piledrivers are still 11.3 gpi, weight forward design, no reason to switch.

jonderrs7, mikey custom-g and Moose like this.
  7. Moose

Moose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m thinking the same thing. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    targets aren't perfect comparison to flesh but I get an easy 8-10" more penetration in foam w/ 500gr .204s Rampages or Victory RIPs vs. 600gr PileDrivers. PDs have almost 2x the surface area to drag on.

But either set up hits like a hammer and kills deer dead.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    jonderrs7 likes this.
  9. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Penetration ?

Couple things to gloss over. Broadheads matter, cut on contact (COC) such as German Kinetics ( no bleeders) slice excellently.

Next arrow KE which results in high momentum. Therefore you want enough weight on your finished arrow, and your FOC ( front of center) balance so that your tip when hitting has the full force of inertia behind it.

Another item is arrow shaft outside diameter. Less diameter means less friction and drag. A FMJ will our penetrate say a Easton Fat Boy.

So putting all these together, your finished arrow, should be balanced so that your tip has more weight forward and balances closer to the tip then it does to the center. There’s FOC formulas you can use. Weight forward is simple to influence yourself. I’m a Carbon Express user and their weight forward is mostly a gimmick. I can add a 25 grain heavier head, or add brass to my insert to weight it forward more effectively then CE can do with carbon. Lol but they make a valid point of the “need” for that point to have drive behind it.

With that all said ? When I’m looking for penetration on a bigger pig hunt, I’ll go to a full metal jacket, 175 grain German Kinetic Silver Flame XXL that pinches almost a 2 inch cut. I like collars to aide the tip from bending and a stiffer 1 step up spined arrow. In my case a 340 or 300 because I need to cut them longer being these broadheads are huge and can pin your fingers to the riser when cut short.

My second choice which was my first choice until FMJ came out are Easton ACC 3-71’s or 3-66.

I’m going to check out that suggested Black Eagle shaft being I have not seen them.

andrew1922 likes this.
  10. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Easton fmj. Grant woods did a really good video on arrow penetration a week or two ago..

mikey custom-g likes this.
  11. Peter Nel

Peter Nel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For me the Gold Tip Kinetics are great in a 200-250 spine.
    And here in South Africa the Carbon Core Nightmare 2.0 is also great for Big Game.

andrew1922 likes this.
  12. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the purposes of discussion, I'll disagree. KE means nothing in archery and doesn't mean it has a linear or direct relation to momentum. A 22 LR has fairly high KE but real sucky momentum. They're just feel good numbers.

A broadhead will make a big hole, large enough for any arrow to slide through pretty effortlessly.

I will agree on higher FOC's relative to dynamic spine as it will aid in driving the arrow on the most straight path possible upon impact reducing the flexing arrow's ability to sidetrack it. That and a very sharp, very clean slicing broadhead will do more for penetration than anything else.

It's all academic and just for fun anyway...

13. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know...sometimes I think we are our own worst enemies. In grand scheme of things, especially for deer size animals, with today's modern bows at 50,60, 70# I feel like any arrow above 350 gr with a good head is going to penetrate quite well.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot as high as I comfortably can 72 pounds and use a 480 grain arrow just in case, hit it has as you can.

JStarr likes this.
  15. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think there is such a thing as over kill, but it seems to me and for me, at 62-74# around 375 gr has been a good weight for trajectory and penetration.. I quit pulling 70# 2 years ago, now I pull 62# with my impulse 31 maxed out. but I did not change arrows. nor broadheads. same results on deer.. well, they were all dead.. now if I could just get another one in range my study will be done :)

16. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Ahhhh you make a mistake in using a .22

Why ? It’s momentum is Pee Wee , why ? Because being so minuscule inspite of it’s speed, it’s easy to stop.

Let’s talk stopping say your truck going 75 mph and your truck towing your 20 foot bass boat with 200HP going same speed.

Which stops easier ? The lighter truck only.

Same with arrows. Your heavier arrow is harder to stop. This is momentum.

The KE is simply your energy x speed x weight etc of the object, very important but the momentum is what’s driving that arrow thru. Yeah the hole cut is true, but thinner diameter shafts are showing better penetration in gel. I’m not a fan of a shaft over 6mm and prefer 5mm.

cantexian likes this.
  17. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the OP never mentioned what it would be used on ... for deer/antelope/Caribou/Black Bear I prefer an arrow in the 400-450 gr range, of course this depends on draw length and poundage and head used and if it is for traditional or Compound.... Ive not went over 430 grs in the last 20+ years for deer, and big deer at that (compound) ... I dont buy into the Ashby stuff for N American critters ... I'm not chasing Cape Buffalo ... I find no need to go over 450-475 grs for ANY N. American critter ... same for FOC, 10-15% does me just fine ... I'm at 6.6 grs per pound of draw weight now/427 grs @297fps/30" draw/64lbs and I use Wicked Tricks thats .54Mo and 80+lbs ke, more than enough for any deer or antelope/ or black bear that walks ..... see below for full set up