Team 10- The Bow Derelicts

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Buckeye Bowhunter

Buckeye Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is a legit concern. It’s getting a little late in the game to introduce a new human element onto the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Buckeye Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What are all you guys stand setups? Do you guys all hunt preset stands? Lockons or ladders? I’ve hunted mobile with a climber for over 20 years but went with a tree saddle last year and I haven’t used a tree stand since. The saddle is more comfortable for me and my back doesn’t hurt from lugging it around so now I can go in deeper if I choose. I rarely hunt the same tree twice anyway.

3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few hang on stands and a few ladder stands. Personally, I like the ladder stands for ease of use but the hang on for height, mine sit at around 27ft. I am taking an old tripod stand out today bc the it's the only option for a certain spot but out of all my stands it's the most uncomfortable. I also have a nice Redneck ground blind but that's more for foul weather and taking cover until it passes.

4. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Headed to Colorado tomorrow to try my luck on a black bear. You fellas behave while I'm out lol.

Okiebob likes this.
  5. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is an old covert cell cam that has been converted to use as a regular camera. It had 12 rechargeable AA Energizers in it that were low but still working. The problem was that there were so many daytime pictures and at 1.2-1.5 MB each it doesn’t take long to fill up even a 16GB SD card. On that farm I know better than to leave a camera longer than about 3 weeks but life intervened and I left it for 7 weeks. As a result I missed the last months worth of pics.

I wish I could tell you this was the last stupid thing I’ll do for a while but...

Okiebob likes this.
  6. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck and have fun.

7. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt almost exclusively out of preset lock ons but I have a couple of Lone Wolf stands and sticks for the occasional hang and hunt scenarios. I have a climber too but to me the Lone Wolf systems renders climbers obsolete. The only way I’d use a climber now would be if I had left my Lone Wolf stuff in a tree temporarily and needed another option in the meantime. No more than I hunt that would be a pretty obscure scenario.

I really like to hunt ground blinds too but haven’t made them as integral part of my hunting as I probably will eventually. At some point here in the near future hanging (and maybe even hunting) lock ons is going to be beyond me.

8. Buckeye Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I was first getting serious about bow hunting ( late teens, early 20s) I wanted to buy a Lonewolf hand climber but never felt like I could spend the 500 bucks on one. If I didn’t have a saddle, I definitely would go to one of the lightweight lockon stands now. I’ve changed my hunting/ scouting approach the last couple years. This year I plan on jumping around from public land spot to spot, trying to hunt fresh sign and avoid putting too much pressure in one area.

Okiebob likes this.
  9. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I need to study up on this tree saddle thing. Or I guess I could just ask you.

What is it? How does it work? Why is it better than a climber or Lone Wolf setup? Can an out of shape old man do it?

10. Buckeye Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The main reason I like it is less weight and bulk for going in deep. It’s basically a twist on what arborists have been using for tree work for years. If you’re looking to learn more check out saddlehunter.com forum. There’s a few different commercially manufactured saddles geared towards hunters now. [​IMG][​IMG]

11. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    7CA44893-4D46-449B-9C19-782DD461593B.jpeg Did some repair work on one of our shooting houses today and put out a few more cams. Saw a 120” 8pt strolling around midday. Plots look nice so far.

Okiebob and MSBK1 like this.
  12. Buckeye Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    First public land card pull. No big shooters but was shocked to see this guy.

13. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got a lone wolf hang on last year along with sticks. I am planning on being completely Mobile this year as I hunt exclusively public land. Learned a ton about finding and hunting bedding areas and have some good spots picked out. Season opens on the 14th and I can't wait!!!

14. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been graduating more and more towards ladders.
    Got a bad shoulder and it just plain hurts to screw in steps.
    I don't know how many hang on I've owned over the past 40 years but it's a pile.
    Give many away you young kids starting out.

Will, that bear pic, that's uncommon in Ohio or not?

Atlasman, turnips or radishes?

Nice looking plot.

15. Buckeye Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very uncommon. I’ve never even seen one or got a camera pic. PA obviously has plenty of bears though and numbers in Ohio are increasing.

16. Buckeye Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Ohio DNR website say we may have 50-100 bears in the whole state. Most sightings are in the NE portion. Usually younger males wandering over from PA but the occasional sow with cubs is reported sometimes.

Okiebob likes this.
  17. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Plots are finished, stands are in place and I think I'm ready for the season. 95° the last two days and an open cab tractor pretty much zapped me. Planted cereal rye, triticale, turnips and winter peas. We have rain predicted for Thursday and Friday and with any luck the temps will break and begin to recede. I would share some pics but this is the time of year all my shooters disappear as the acorn mast is already starting to drop. I have one camera on my one lone burr oak, it was hit by a wildfire about ten years ago and came back as a multi trunk bush that produces hen egg sized acorns. When they mature the big bucks swarm it. C'mon October 1st!

18. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry everyone.....been pretty busy. My name is Mark and I hunt in NY. I have been in every contest since day one and I assure you if I don’t score it won’t be from a lack of effort. We have 350 acres in the best county of NY and I have 28 acres at my house as well. We plant turnips, radish, sugar beet, rape, peas, oats, and chickory in about 4-5 acres of plots. Our plots have been terrible for the last two years but are looking good so far this year so pretty stoked. Just put cams out this week because we don’t like to get in too deep too early so we let the cams tell us what’s going on until week three of October when leaves start to drop. Should have some fun pics as we also have tons of black bears. Good Luck all and looking forward to a fun year.

19. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bob. Our Burr oaks are dropping acorns like crazy now.
    Up untill a week ago, I could see deer in every bean field.
    Now they are deserted.
    Bear baits are dying off also.
    Seems like everything likes acorns.

Good to see you check in mark.
    Sounds like a great scenario you have going.

Okiebob likes this.
  20. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to have you on board Mark! What part of NY? I used I live in Saratoga Springs and we had a house on Lake George up until 2016.