New plot area

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Aug 29, 2019.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been working on this..still have several big trees shading to cut.

20190829_115343.jpg 20190829_115138.jpg 20190829_114713.jpg 20190829_114603.jpg 20190829_114552.jpg

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Some trees will need to go next year. One I'll drop and leave this year. I have to get the tractor down there to move those log sections then I can disc and plant WW today I dropped more lime there and another spot. Wanted to get planting done but family had me busy and now rain coming. This is good due to being dry and moisture will be great for areas I already disced up to plant.I have a one day window before the Dorian effects really kick in as I think they will.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    No trees cut but weather dictated I fertilize,disc,drag,plant WW and left over buckwheat.drag again. Late winter will be a frost seeding of clover.
    I also planted two other spots,in WW. The front field and a laneway along fence. Left a center of old imperial clover between the WW.
    20190903_155018.jpg 20190903_153143.jpg 20190903_153135.jpg 20190903_153124.jpg

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect timing absolutely poured last night, now no rain due until next Tues.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do your deer bed in that open understory?

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was a GD downpour this morning. I'm sure my few crops are loving it.

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_0632.JPG Ha!, so glad you asked me that! Let me see, I have stands on the 4 corners of that block of woods and to date I have shot 8 buck and 4 doe. I've watched mature buck come in and just lay up against a big maple and bed. It also sits between the neighbors swamp bedding , the Farmers hay and corn and my food plots. Just a couple of pics I could find, some are on a separate zip drive some place and hubby started uploading his job pics. I don't know how but he managed to loose a big part of my pictures:confused::mad:

2015 gun buck.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG

vermontwhitetail and Fix like this.
  8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I hear thunder now and winds picked up, looks like we have another storm about to come through, hope it is getting that fertilizer in the ground, the turnips are VERY slow growing this year. Pretty much like everything in the garden. Tons of flowers and few peppers or cukes . Not as many squash nor pumpkin this year either but they have been flowering like mad. New guy down the hill has been capturing wild bees and then taking them away. He started by keeping them but lost all hives this past winter. Wish there was a law against wild bee captures. All the NYS regulations and nothing on that! Figures

bucksnbears likes this.
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I'll post this here, just as a record for me, most of these post are anyways, who cares other than me what I do.
    Went and mowed all the clover plots high . Taking out weed flowers and getting enough clover to stimulate more tender growth. Warm days colder dew filled nights, season starts the first. I will disc one more plot section I wasn't going to plant. No kill down just a discing this last one may get some oats ,we'll see.

Now I'm going to pound in the fence stakes for the line fence. This will be a few year project. A few hundred ft each year. I have a lot of 6 ft high chain link but it was "buried" and had a wasp issue. Will get that out this winter for the back line. Well not my back line the nieghbors back line. We border him on 2 sides. Never a problem until he passed,sons are a whole different issue. So good fencing makes good nieghbors. I'm starting with 200 ft that will start 100 ft before the stand he put 4 yards off the line and end 100 ft past.
    Now don't get me wrong it's not about hunting the line,it's about placing it directly parallel to a stand on the middle of my place this section of our land is only 350 ft wide and a big red blind on the other side of our line behind the stand. That blind was our chicken coop for years before the fishers arrived. Now its a blind the only windows in it face only our property. Anyways I let it go when he put cams on our trees,many yards in facing his place. I just walked around them and shook my finger no. They were removed. I let it go when he sat 10 yards off his line facing not his, but my land during turkey season. Oh did I mention directly across where I was sitting in my blind 50 yards off the line and for shots in our land. So no fights no drama just a nice no climb fence. Well one with a landscape fabric liner. See 250' for 24.00 and a 20 yr. guarantee. Why? Well I have the farm field next door and our land on his back side is 1/2 mile long. Deer come up out of the swamps below and cut across his place . When they figure out they can't jump the fence they'll go around, staying on us. Now high fencing is illegal if they have no way around. They will have, so not a problem and the fence I'm installing now is only 48 ". It will be off the ground 6" ,jumpable. Though deer will not jump over what they can't see over. His land slope down hill from us and the blk. Fabric will block their line of sight. I can shoot a deer and it will stay on our place in it's death run. The same goes for him. So when the fence is complete there will be no, I shot a deer and it died on you....while he sits right on the line. Besides I'm now prepping this section for hunting as I did across the street. If we don't sell before the grand kids are old enough to hunt, it will be a safe place for them. No guys with weapons sitting on the line facing them instead of their own land.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well dang I was going along great...until the Gator acted up. I pounded all the stakes along my string line then went to get the fencing. Hells bells! The engine sounded like it was going to fall out and the steering wheel was shaking. Got back to the house and let her sit. So how to get the fencing down in the woods, the wheel barrel. That was fun not! But I got it unrolled along the post. I couldn't stretch it so came back and checked all fluid levels and hosed the entire thing down. Then air hosed the grass out of the JD mower and deck. Hubby got home and we took out the Gator SOB! It was fine! He really pushed it and it sounded and felt great...Oh well maybe it just wanted a bath. Fencing will be done tomorrow

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  11. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Old, I hunted adjacent to a property years ago that looked alot like the pics you posted. Very open understory but the deer there were unharassed. When they hit the fence line onto my property, they'd go into " deer mode".
    Id watch them across the fence moving thru that open timber without hardly a care.

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    It's actually an area where a lot of chasing occurs. One year I had to laugh between our place and the nieghbors swamp bedding is a woods road on his land. I was in a corner stand on that open wood lot. I was there hours and getting very uncomfortable waiting for " prime time". I'd been listening to the buck chase and fight in that thick nieghbors land. My pain meds were wearing off , I had my bow hand wrapped because a dog had bitten off a good part of my pinky and I'd had hand surgery to repair the amputation a week pryor. When down the road comes my nieghbors nieghbor. I watch him walking towards me to 30 yrds and he stops and waves. WTH!, I nod and wave back from my perch. He then turns and walks away as I watch, prime time. Right where he stopped and waved I see an 8 pt rack pop out of the brambles! He stuck just his head out and watched him walk away. Then stepped out and walked into my open woods and 10 yrds from my stand. I didn't need pain meds by then ,adrenaline is a fine drug and he didnt go far.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    PS. I Have to tell you my hand surgeon's name..Dr. Mitten and he was or is a bow hunter! He laughed when my only concern was making sure he wrapped my hand so I could hold my bow. He was over the moon when I went to my next appointment with the bucks picture.

14. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if I've ever posted my thoughts on it but I believe open undisturbed wood are what older bucks perfer while searching during the " hot week".
    They like visability.

Micro hinge cutting to provide micro bedding spots in open timber can be super!

15. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your hand doctors name is Dr. Mitten? Thats perfect.

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yep ...made me laugh nice guy,big into bow hunting. That what we talked about while he worked on my hand.

Though funny Dr. Names are common here. The urologist that does a major amount of the areas ...hhhhmmm....got to put this gently, male fertility procedures.., is Dr. Stop. His son followed in his dads foot steps and he is the new Dr. Stop. I also have a Dr named Dr. Surgeon nice woman good surgeon. Makes you wonder if their names steered them to their careers....

BNB...you are right and when I mention I have more timber work, there is where I speak. At the moment there is a young beech, and 4 bad maples that need to come down. You can't see but last year I hinged over 3 bad maples closer to that stand I shot the buck from. One reason I think he came in so close was two big maples naturally fell just a couple of yards in front and off to the side of that stand. If only I could slow time or reverse aging...lol

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So back at fencing, messed up the old knees. I got the first hundred stretched and unrolled the second hundred. I just painted the posts. Ya know can't have trespassing snow sleds getting injured on un marked fencing (eye roll). Writing this trying to decide if I have the ambition to stretch this today.. well I'm here might as well if knee doesn't give out.
    All stretched securing now. Not easy putting up fence and stretching tight by your self...thank God for the winch.

20190906_153700.jpg 20190906_153653.jpg 20190906_153637.jpg

arrowflinger1 likes this.
  18. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice plots. I need to cut out some shade trees this winter as well so one of my plots will get more sun and two apples trees can thrive.

oldnotdead likes this.
  19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well today I went down dragged to smooth what I disced yesterday. Also to pull up those weeds I didn't spray. I then spread a little left over buck wheat . Dragged that in. Then I took WW and mixed it in with some old bird seed I had hanging around. Dragged that in and then walked over a little turnip. Yes very late but for the greens only. I also walked turnip over the WW I planted last week. Had a whole lot of rock picking to do.but all those plots are done whether they did well or not. The turnips plant last month are actually doing better than I thought. I have seen a wood chucks a few times so upon checking, are growing but getting hit hard. Not only being chewed but yanked out.

20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Planted that original new plot on the 3,well that's when I see a I posted, or a bit later.
    Today a pic of it from a distant blind and up close . Not bad considering I lost a few and other are just not growing at all well.
    A few pics from the walk..
    Thats not right because it hasn't been a week yet, anywho it's looking better than the two big well fertilized sunny plots. It should be good gun plot and bow hunt draw to the area. Nearest stand is 45 yrds.

20190912_131022.jpg 20190912_125626.jpg 20190912_125038.jpg 20190912_124714.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019