Team 2 - The Double Deuces

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by alenhard15, Aug 26, 2019.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I second Justin as captain... then he can **** talk the other teams during BHOD show lol! I still like your recommendation of double dueces

2. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i'm good w/ Justin and Double Deuces as well.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Double Deuces was a joke, guys. I'm just way too into Road House with Patrick Swayze. :lol:

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! Sorry time got away from me and I forgot to check in. Getting ready for pursuing bulls out in western Colorado. I'll be out there Sept 12th thru the 21. Getting excited. I hunt NW Mo on my 100 acre farm and just got my buck back from last year. Scored 157... my best buck! Looking forward to meeting everybody! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My 50yard groups are 3-4”, but after about 6-9 shots they start getting bigger and drifting right. I’m pretty happy with my first 3-6 shots though.
    Getting myself back into shooting shape, I really need to shoot more in the off season.

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  8. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in here! Justin, thanks for the message reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

pastorbigdan and Justin like this.
  9. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    I live and hunt in central MD. I gave up my good lease on the Eastern Shore two years ago because of the drive and lack of using it. Last year I hunted only public and got a learning experience. I at least saw deer every hunt (5000+ acres) so that was a positive. This year I will be on both public and private. I got a new spot (115 acres) that butts up against 250+ of public land and the closest access is about a mile walk for anybody hunting it.

Haven’t been too successful with my bow recently but we have a long season in MD and I’m hoping to change that.

I’ve been a member here for 8 years and have seen most of your names on here. Glad to be on the team. I like Double Deuces and Justin can only be the captain if he chooses our pics for the weekly BHOD giveaways

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    great buck rednas5! I shot my largest buck last year as well, but with the muzzleloader on my last hunt of the season (12/26). I shot him at 30 yards, so if only I had brought the bow! He scored around 155" or so. I just used the trophy tape and did it myself, so I'm sure it was off by a bit., but not by much. I had to estimate the inside spread on the score as well as his antlers popped off when I pulled him into the truck! ugh. pic in this post

Welcome other guys... yeah... i'm with you about Justin using our pics! lol
    Hey, that reminds me... I was captain of the repeat champs from '16 & '17... when we won in '17, I still never rec'd my "prize package"! lol. I did the first year though.. HAHAHA.

Attached Files:

rednas5 and CMTRAV like this.
  11. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since we are showing off deer! I had my best year last year and got these two beats! One in Illinois public land and the other my small Tennessee farm I hunt. The TN deer was a bit stiff when we went to take the pictures, couldn't get the walk 500 yers away and make it look bigger pose in. I had the taxidermist show me how to measure the Illinois buck and it was around 130ish, I never did measure the TN buck, hopefully both mounts will be done soon.
    Picture1.jpg TN Buck.jpg

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I updated the team name so The Double Deuces it is. Fitting, since I was on a team called "I Thought You'd Be Bigger" a few years ago. :lol:

I'm leaving for Kentucky a week from today and have 3 or 4 days to try and make something happen down there on public. I'm not going to be picky so don't be disappointed if there's a 110 incher on our scorecard when I get back. :moose:

Once I get back from there I have a few weeks until IL opens, which is good because I still have a lot of work to do here at home. I plan on spending my first couple of weekends in IL trying to whack a trophy doe with my son in tow. He's anxious to get out and wants to shoot a deer of his own with the crossbow, but he needs a couple of years yet. I see a lot of guys getting their kids shooting animals at really young ages, and it feels like they are doing it more for their own bragging rights than for the kids. At 7 years old my son really doesn't grasp the concept of what killing an animal really means. So yeah, he's gonna wait to be the shooter for at least 1 more year. For now he's just going to hang out and watch.

Once we get toward the end of October I plan on spending the majority of my weekends in Iowa on public land there. Then I head to Wyoming from Nov 16-20 to chase whitetails with Dustin. After that I've got a couple more weekends in Iowa before their guns season opens up, then it's pretty much IL from December until the bitter end. I should have some good late season food on my lease this year - let's just hope I don't need it.

Through all of that, I should be able to find myself in a spot to shoot a buck and contribute some points to the team. If not, I need to reevaluate some of my life choices. :lol:

13. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like a busy schedule Justin! Good luck in KY.
    I hear ya on the age to kill. My 15 year old daughter shot her first deer at 9 years old I believe. She has taken 4 so far (2 bucks and doe). Her last one at age 13. She was unsuccessful last year at 14, but she did have a shot a the big 8 i posted a pic of earlier.
    I hope to get her out whenever she can around her high school sports schedule. She will be on "trigger" every time she goes with me.
    Youth hunt in MA 9/28. NY opens 10/1. MA opens 10/21.
    She has her own tags for MA this year aside from the youth hunt, so she will have some more time.

I'll be in Ohio 11/10 - 11/15

14. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    justin, nothing wrong with a 110" public land buck. 110" deer get mounted up here in New England usually! Esp. where I am from. A "fergie" buck sometimes is the only buck you get a shot at in Western MA and Eastern NY some years, and I certainly am not above that!

pastorbigdan and Justin like this.
  15. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    that sounds like an awesome year! Best of luck man!

16. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Do we have anyone good with graphics to make a team logo?

17. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta incorporate this [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, curious what zone you are hunting in Iowa? I am collecting points w/ a plan to hunt w/ a group of 3 others in a year or two. Investigating the options for future plans. I have a guide friend who has connects in Iowa so that may be the way we go. No definite plans yet.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting in Zone 9 - NE Iowa. It's one of the closer zones to me and takes less points to draw. I was sitting on 3 points and wanted to go this fall so rather than take a chance on Zone 5 or 6 I elected for 9. Went out and scouted a bit this Spring and it looks pretty good. I can be to the spots I scouted in 60-90 minutes from my IL lease which is nice in case I want to bounce around a bit.

20. smctitan

Dislikes Received: